Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
765 Posts
Maybe try to drive annother car for comparison at the dealer. If the sound is way off have them do something about it. Find the source and replace the part.
Could be a problem in the motor or the converter. I think replacement is the only option if it's out of spec.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also had my girlfriend in the car with me tonight - also 26 yo - and she said she could hear it clear as day as well. Though I'm not expecting much, I really hope that something can be done because I'm really not sure how I'll be able to put up with this for three years as per the terms of my lease. Its turned driving the car from a joy to a bit of a sour experience.
I drove my wifes Ioniq again last night and as much as I tried to hear it, I couldn't. Only noises I hear are tire noise and HVAC.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting. I imagine this is nothing that a service center could mitigate with the current design - it would probably require some sort of reworking from engineering to truly mitigate this?

Either way, I noticed it again today while driving and think I am going to make an appointment at a local service center to have it looked at. I drove about 45 minutes worth of city driving today and by the end of it I think the noise actually gave me quite the headache. Whoever above said that its worse when between two solid objects, like a building on either side of you is 100% on point - though I can hear it all the time, it becomes almost maddening then.

I also had my girlfriend in the car with me tonight - also 26 yo - and she said she could hear it clear as day as well. Though I'm not expecting much, I really hope that something can be done because I'm really not sure how I'll be able to put up with this for three years as per the terms of my lease. Its turned driving the car from a joy to a bit of a sour experience.
Don't give up yet @bwhough . There are two possibilities. First is that all ioniqs of that model make the sound and you have more sensitive hearing than most drivers. The second is that your car makes a louder noise than others. The whine from the inverter is caused by an oscillating magnetic field making something vibrate. That could be something major that needs replacing or something minor. I second the suggestion of going to a dealer and asking to have a ride in another car (failing that see if there is another owner near you who could take you for a ride). That will tell you if it is just your car or not. If your car is worse you need to demonstrate that to the garage. Since workshops are not the quietest of places there is a chance that your mechanic might not have good high frequency hearing, in which case ask them to bring one of their younger employees on the test drive, whether that's a trainee mechanic, an admin assistant, or the guy who polishes the cars on the showroom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks @Chris108. I scheduled a service appointment for my car tomorrow morning and I do hope that is something that they can A) hear for themselves and confirm and B) get to the bottom of. I know I've been a little down this thread but I truly love this car other than this noise. Its always been a dream of mine to drive an EV and I'm having so much more fun with it than I even expected!

Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
713 Posts
I can just hear mine whine but only under extreme acceleration and with the DS window down. However, I also sometimes hear that noise when I'm outside and an EV drives past, it's usually very quiet, but I hear it. Yours sounds like it's very loud in comparison. I'd definitely test drive a few other IONIQ EV's to confirm if it's limited to your vehicle or your exceptional hearing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just got mine checked out by the service department. They had "one guy" who works on EVs and he claimed that he could indeed hear the noise and that it wasn't quiet, but that it was "expected behavior" and there's nothing they could do. I told them that I could only begin hearing the noise around three weeks into ownership and while that did make him pause, he ultimately decided that there was "nothing they could do." Very unsatisfactory - if this is expected behavior, then these cars are not ready for primetime. I pulled out of the dealer and as I was pulling out I swear a woman walking by turned their head to look specifically at my car as I drove by.

I asked to drive another EV on the lot so we could compare noises, they didn't have any. So I made an appointment at my next closest service center and am going to try again. If I continue to get the run around I'll have to go higher up - no way I can live with this sound on a $30,000+ vehicle.

Reactions: Ou Boet

·
Registered
91 Posts
Let us know how you get on. If it is something wrong with your cat they need to fix it. If it's all ioniqs that's something younger people could do with knowing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just a quick minor update... the second service center has had my car for 2 business days now, no call or status update on their findings just yet. The man who I spoke to who took my keys seemed to think that the noise was not normal. Luckily, this dealership also has Kona EVs in stock and will be able to compare my motor noise with the motor noise those make. I'm hoping to hear back soon as I've got a gas guzzling Ford Flex as a loaner which really isn't ideal for anyone!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just heard back from the service center. They had two "master techs" test drie the car and both heard the noise and agreed that it was "aggressive" but were flummoxed as to the cause. They called the corporate tech line and were told that the noise is originating from the regenerative breaking system, and that though "many have complained" about it (their words, not mine!) they consider it normal behavior and there's nothing that can be done to resolve it.

Obviously, I'm incredibly unhappy with this. I love the car in all ways but this, but this sound is as grating to me as nails on a chalkboard - I'm not sure I could stand driving like this for 35 more months. I plan on doing whatever I can to escalate this, and if I can't get a satisfactory resolution then I'm going to have to work with them to figure out what can be done to get me out of this lease, which I don't want at all. Incredibly disappointed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is unfortunate that you are not happy. I believe I hear it too but it is not objectionable to me as it just reinforces that I am driving an Electric car. I wonder if anyone makes an active noise cancelling device for cars? I found one for home but not cars. I am sure, if allowed, there are many people who would take over your lease, especially if you have the great deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here is a link to another forum where a Kona owner has similar complaints about the noise. High-Pitched Motor Noise
I actually joined this forum and posted on this thread a week or so ago to share my experience! Someone in there actually shared this sound file of the motor going with VESS disabled , which perfectly exhibits the noise I'm hearing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MgL9mjiBM--6_1DiSl2xPg_Ci5hAERqt/view

Really bothersome, and I don't 100% understand how this isn't more bothersome to Ioniq EV owners - I guess I'm more sensitive to the higher pitch than others.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I spoke to the rep from my service center about this issue again this morning. His explanation, apparently straight from Hyundai's "corporate line," is that the system is caused by the way the car is designed to capture regen. He claims that even when accelerating on Regen 0, there is friction caused by the system that captures the regen while driving, creating a high frequency noise that "some younger ears and dogs" are able to hear. He claimed that he was told that the issue affects both the Ioniq and the Kona line, and that while there is no fix at this time, that Hyundai has engineers assigned to look into this issue and are hopeful that they can develop a fix down the line.

I have no idea if they spewed a bunch of BS to him which he's then spewing back to me, but that's what he was told and is passing along to me. Now that its another day and I'm less annoyed by another failure to repair, before I go the nuclear option and try to get rid o this thing I think I'm going to try to install some sound dampening wherever I can in the car and hopefully reduce this noise.

·
Registered
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
713 Posts
The explanation sounds like BS to me. There really isn't any friction in the system that makes that noise. If there was, you'd hear it all the time, even while coasting. Have you or the Kona owner been able to drive another vehicle to determine if yours is the same or worse than another similar vehicle. To me that's a critical diagnostic step that has to be taken.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Agreed, not "friction". Almost certainly the inverter/PWM, less likely the motor. I doubt there will/can be a fix, but systems redesign may be possible. Otherwise, maybe only old people should drive it. I'd certainly like to hear TKGDee's opinion about that!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The explanation sounds like BS to me. There really isn't any friction in the system that makes that noise. If there was, you'd hear it all the time, even while coasting. Have you or the Kona owner been able to drive another vehicle to determine if yours is the same or worse than another similar vehicle. To me that's a critical diagnostic step that has to be taken.
Interesting. When I head to the dealer tonight to pick it up I'm going to bring this up. The fact that they heard the noise and thought it was problematic enough to call corporate was encouraging this time around, just a shame that they had to be fed this BS. When I dropped it off there were numerous Kona EVs on the lot, so I'm going to try to push to get them to drive us in one of those tonight to compare noises as you suggested.

Reactions: Ou Boet

·
Registered
357 Posts
You should be able to peel back some carpet and add some Dynamat or something to give it some buffering. If you need some service manual pages in the interior let me know.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The noise will be coming forward of the firewall. I don’t think sound proofing will prove effective.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Just picked up the car, and I almost can't believe I'm writing this but there seems to be a second noise now audible in the cabin as well. When driving from about 30 MPH - 60 MPH or so (it goes away when I reach highway speeds), I'm now hearing a whistle - sounds like wind passing through a small space, almost like a high pitched flute.
EDIT: I just took the car for another drive and this new sound is gone. Maybe it was as simple as something in my heating system on my drive home. Either way, ignore this one I guess!

As for the original problem, they reiterated that the problem was with the "regeneration system." They claimed that one master tech didnt hear it, while the other heard it before they even left the lot and called it "unbearable." When I pointed out that I don't hear the electrical noise when I'm coasting on Regen 0, they claimed thats because the "space between the breaks is larger and doesn't create any friction." Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

I'm attaching a photo of the notes they gave me. I think I'm going to escalate this to Hyundai Corporate.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts