Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner (3 days today).
I was thinking about the exterior door lock buttons...
If the "key' is within activation range, the door handle button toggles the door locks.
OK, this is what it is designed to do.
Is there a way to disable this button?
here is my thinking...

This exterior door unlock button presents a (personal and vehicle) security issue.
Scenario 1:
I am at a stop light, in the car, the key is obviously in the car with me, and the doors are locked (as the car locks them when it starts moving). A nefarious person walks up to the car, and pushes the door button. The door unlocks, and that person has just gained access to the car, and to every person in the car.

Scenario 2:
I am in a parking lot, post COVID :), a nefarious person has targeted me/my car. I lockup the car, and start to walk away, BUT, the nefarious person runs over and unlocks the car using the exterior door button before I am out of range.

Scenario 3:
I am away from the car, but my wife is in the car, and has her key with her. She or I may lock the doors of the car, BUT, because the key is inside, it is obviously in range, and the exterior door unlock button will function, allowing the above mentioned nefarious person to access the interior of the car and my wife.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
736 Posts
The car is smart enough to know when the key is inside the vehicle or outside the vehicle. When the fob is inside the vehicle, I believe the exterior unlock buttons are disabled.

The passive range of the fob is very limited (several feet at best), it's unlikely you'll not notice anybody nefariously trying to unlock your car while you walk away after locking it.

You cannot lock the doors with the fob inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have just run some tests. If the Ionic has locked it self while you are inside with the fob, it can not be unlocked from the outside by touching the unlock button. When the fob is inside the Ioniq it can not be locked or unlocked from the outside. If the Ionic is running and you leave via the driver's door with the fob, upon closing the door a loud beeping will incur for several seconds. And you can not lock it as long as it is running. If you have Bluelink, you can lock it remotely and only then can you start it. By the way if you have not updated the Bluelink app recently, it may not remotely start the car. Please note: all of these conditions mentioned above are for my USA version of the 2019 Ionic limited-ultimate. Since there is no universal commonality among the Ioniqs, this may not be true for yours.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The car is smart enough to know when the key is inside the vehicle or outside the vehicle. When the fob is inside the vehicle, I believe the exterior unlock buttons are disabled.
That is correct.

On every car I've ever owned, my habit is to lock the door manually while opening it to get out. I've had to change my ways within the first few days of ownership. The fob has to be outside the car, at least a couple inches for a full second before allowing you to use the interior lock button. So while I could hold my keys in my hand and lock the door as soon as my hand is outside, that takes a pause. So it is faster to just exit the car and then lock with the outside door button (I'm not a pull the fob out of my pocket and lock car from distance guy, but that seems to be popular). My old method was even faster, allowing you to exit smoothly, slam the door and walk away. But it is what it is.

Logic of door locks is otherwise impeccable. Driver door button only unlocks driver door unless it is pressed twice. Locks all doors on exit with single press. Button on passenger side unlocks all doors (or locks all doors). No chance for someone to jump in without some help from you.

Reactions: Gel

·
Registered
620 Posts
That is correct.

On every car I've ever owned, my habit is to lock the door manually while opening it to get out. I've had to change my ways within the first few days of ownership. The fob has to be outside the car, at least a couple inches for a full second before allowing you to use the interior lock button. So while I could hold my keys in my hand and lock the door as soon as my hand is outside, that takes a pause. So it is faster to just exit the car and then lock with the outside door button (I'm not a pull the fob out of my pocket and lock car from distance guy, but that seems to be popular). My old method was even faster, allowing you to exit smoothly, slam the door and walk away. But it is what it is.

Logic of door locks is otherwise impeccable. Driver door button only unlocks driver door unless it is pressed twice. Locks all doors on exit with single press. Button on passenger side unlocks all doors (or locks all doors). No chance for someone to jump in without some help from you.
Actually you can program the driver's door button to open all doors. Since I live in a very rural area I am not concerned about anyone sneaking up on the other side of the car!

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Actually you can program the driver's door button to open all doors. Since I live in a very rural area I am not concerned about anyone sneaking up on the other side of the car!
Why lock at all? Mischievous raccoons?

Reactions: gorj

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
30 Posts
How can it be programmed?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Read the manual!

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,835 Posts
This screencap from the downloadable 2019 user manual PDF indicates a 28-40" range required for the exterior door handle button to function. It also indicates the procedure for changing the 2-press unlock to single-press unlock. I did this myself, as I often put things in the back seat upon coming up to the car and if saves some wear on the button, by not having to double press it all the time...especially in the winter, when I find the inclemate weather tends to make the button more difficult to depress.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Read the manual!
This screencap from the downloadable 2019 user manual PDF indicates a 28-40" range required for the exterior door handle button to function. It also indicates the procedure for changing the 2-press unlock to single-press unlock. I did this myself, as I often put things in the back seat upon coming up to the car and if saves some wear on the button, by not having to double press it all the time...especially in the winter, when I find the inclemate weather tends to make the button more difficult to depress.
My usermanual does not say anything about this at all. I will look for the menu later today, but there might be that the european version don't have this functionality.
Edit: I've checked the menus, and my car does not have this functionality at all.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
My usermanual does not say anything about this at all. I will look for the menu later today, but there might be that the european version don't have this functionality.
Edit: I've checked the menus, and my car does not have this functionality at all.
Okay, these images are from the 2020 EV manual (Download 2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric - Owner's Manual PDF (561 Pages)):

Use the button with the "pages" icon on it to cycle the instrument cluster LCD screen to "User Settings". Then use the toggle switch below that button to scroll through the list and the "OK" button to enter the sub-menu. In "Type C" above the toggle switch is also the "OK" button.

By entering the "Door" submenu, you should be able to disable the "Two Press Unlock" feature.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
30 Posts
I only have two options in the Door menu, Automatic locking and automatic unlocking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Okay, so I checked the Norwegian manual, and I should indeed have these options. As I said, I only have Auto lock and Auto unlock. Might need to contact the dealer about this one. I would also like to be able to activate the lock/unlock sound (a feature that is also not present), as I'm used to this in my other car (1989 Mazda 323).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sorry to hear. Yes, I would check with your dealer. Do please report back with the results so that others can benefit from what you learn. All here to help each other.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Okay, so I checked the Norwegian manual, and I should indeed have these options. As I said, I only have Auto lock and Auto unlock. Might need to contact the dealer about this one. I would also like to be able to activate the lock/unlock sound (a feature that is also not present), as I'm used to this in my other car (1989 Mazda 323).
Apparently not every region has a lock sound beeper installed, I know that the UK doesn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts