Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Just picked up a preowned 2017 ioniq Ev! I went to plug it in with the included charger and realized that it is just too short to reach to where I park. I have some heavy duty extension cords that have been sitting in my shed but I'm not completely sure what their amps are. What cords should I look at to safely use an extension cord with my ioniq.

I'm in the US with 120 volt outlets.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Gabe

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been using an extension cord, unwound, for nearly 12 mths on my trickle charger, no problems. Here in Australia we have 10amps outlets so I bought a heavy duty 15amp extension cord.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I went to plug it in with the included charger and realized that it is just too short to reach to where I park. I have some heavy duty extension cords that have been sitting in my shed but I'm not completely sure what their amps are. What cords should I look at to safely use an extension cord with my ioniq.

I'm in the US with 120 volt outlets.
Yellow Jacket 2883 12/3 Heavy-Duty 15-Amp SJTW Contractor Extension Cord with Lighted Ends, 25-Feet - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
41 Posts
I have been using an extension cord, unwound, for nearly 12 mths on my trickle charger, no problems. Here in Australia we have 10amps outlets so I bought a heavy duty 15amp extension cord.
Before I got the 7kW EVSE installed, I was using a 15A rated extension cord I used to use with our old RV.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
414 Posts
If you want to adhere to all safety recommendations, you should not use any extension cord at all.

However, if you still need to use one, get one rated for at least 15A and as short as possible. Always use it fully extended, never coiled up on a reel or drum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You say that it seems to be heavy duty so will probably be OK. As has been said, key is to always fully unroll an extension. But it's also very important to check frequently during the first use for heat build-up at all sockets and plugs. Many domestic sockets can become worn during years of use and do not make full contact with an old plug on an old extension lead. That can cause resistance and lead to heat build up and eventually cause a fire as it is used for many hours to charge a car. Domestic sockets were not intended to be used for dozens of continuous hours at a high draw rate. Left unattended overnight that could spoil your next day. Which is why it isn't recommended to use a granny charger on a regular basis. Best to invest in a proper EV chargepoint long term.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please do not coil your extension lead up or run it folded up side by side as it will heat up. If you want to know why look up back EMF.

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
63 Posts
I went the somewhat extreme route and went to home depot and bought 50ft 12/3 600v SOOW cable, a normal 15amp plug to go into my wall sockets, and a 20a rated receptacle for the car charger/evse to plug in to. I ran the numbers through a wire gauge calculator and my setup should be good to 20a. To make things more overkill I also added a Leviton 20-Amp, 120-Volt, In-line GFCI unit for extra safety. The GFCI unit is the only part the gets warm (the plug into the wall does too, but barely more than ambient). Mind you, this madness is a $100 cable setup.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
124 Posts
Please do not coil your extension lead up or run it folded up side by side as it will heat up. If you want to know why look up back EMF.
This is incorrect. The current in an extension cable runs both ways, equal amounts, at the same time. So the magnetic field created by L wire is exactly cancelled by the opposite one created by the N wire. So no back EMF or inductive effect whatsoever to worry about. Lay the cable how you like.

What you must not do is run extensions cables that are tightly wound up or bundled up. This is a simple problem of heating up & melting if there's insufficient air around. So always completely unwind any exernsion on a reel, before using it, anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
63 Posts
Do you need 50ft?
Need it? No, but it does come in handy. I use it at 2 friends houses to charge. They have driveways that are about 3-4 car lengths long. I'll park in their driveway and then run the cord to to their 20a socket in the garage. I could have gone 10ft shorter since the cable from my charger/evse to the car winds up being coiled in front of my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts