Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what happens when 50+% of cars are EV's?

consider the following,

you have a shopping centre / mall with 1600 carpark you have a 50kw charger in 800 spaces

how on earth are you going to get enough power to the car park 50 * 800 = 4MW of power if all points are in use

my local major out of town shopping centre has 13,000 spaces, hmmm!!!

simply put a megawatt of power for every 200 50kw charger or 100 100kw chargers

our current power infrastructure I the UK I doubt would be able to cope with that sort of demand

·
Registered
78 Posts
True but not everyone will charge at the parking spot. You can do 1.5kw free, 6.6kw at low cost fee and higher cost at DC fast charging. They could also setup to give free charge for the first 30 minutes or hour. That free charge would be just enough to cover the round trip distance from your house to the mall. Anyone want to top off their car would have to charge more than an hour so they would have to pay for it. You don't need to give DCFC to everyone. It's a mall not a refuel station.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
while I have taken it to the extreme, I am trying to highlight the massive load on the power infrastructure and how there will be area like car parks etc that will require upgrades to incomers and power distribution.

if major infrastructure (like cables in the road) needs upgrading who will pay for that? (ultimately I personally think it will be everyone on their utility bills)

currently in the UK most, if not all new developments (shopping centres / malls / hotels etc) are required to have about 5% of spaces with EV chargers but as the percentage of EV's increases either more charging spaces will need to be added or charges will be applied for charging to reduce the desire to charge an EV unless it is low on charge

1 - 3 of 3 Posts