Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 3 to be precise, probably not a novelty in other countries, sometimes I go weeks without spotting any EV's driving around here in Perth but I went to the closest free charger, parked up to a nice new Model S and on the 15 min walk home also spotted an electric Kona.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And when I picked it up the Model S owner was swapping it out for his Model X.

The dreams of having them in my garage do not diminish how good a car the Ioniq is at what it does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t see ev’s much in my daily driving. I have heard you see them around hotels and hospitals though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well 3 to be precise, probably not a novelty in other countries, sometimes I go weeks without spotting any EV's driving around here in Perth but I went to the closest free charger, parked up to a nice new Model S and on the 15 min walk home also spotted an electric Kona.
I was curios to know if any Aus. from Perth have ever gone to Ningallo Reef, I was trying to plot a way but I gave up
with the 38Kw ioniq, I was hoping to be a good trip for when the car arrives next month.
Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking something similar to go to Monkey Mia. It would be tricky and expect you would need to spend a bit of time at Billabong and Wooramel roadhouses and you can certainly get to Coral Bay then Exmouth from Carnarvon.
The only other trouble bit is the stop over on the way to Geraldton. Time to see the Pinnacles for the first time.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was curios to know if any Aus. from Perth have ever gone to Ningallo Reef, I was trying to plot a way but I gave up
with the 38Kw ioniq, I was hoping to be a good trip for when the car arrives next month.
Cheers
There's always the trickle charger if you add an overnight stop at a place with an outdoor plug they'll let you use.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There's always the trickle charger if you add an overnight stop at a place with an outdoor plug they'll let you use.
Of course I don't know my Aus geography at all, maybe there's not even that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course I don't know my Aus geography at all, maybe there's not even that.
Ha we are not that backward :) There is not much at our outback roadhouses (gas stations) but they are well setup usually - Home » Billabong but to wait for 14 hours of charging might be a stretch. More and more are getting Tesla destination chargers so you could cut that stop over to 4-5.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ha we are not that backward :)
Lol, I meant that maybe there was no place to overnight within range of the Ioniq, not that an overnight place wouldn't have electricity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to goole maps it is about 1200Km from where I live in Perth. The range of the 38Kw from 100% to 0 is around 313 Km. The trip normally would take around 13 hours with a ICE car, I calculated that it would take nearly 4 days in the 38Kw Ioniq due to charging infrastructure in our outback. Most places "Road Houses" would offer a 10amps charging, some camping/ caravans sites offer 20 amps few offer 32 amps charging, provided that one has the appropriate plug/adaptors. Now if I use caution and start my journey with 100% and go down to 15% it would give me a range of approx. 266Mk my first stop would probably require a 32amps charging and it would take around 5 hour to get to 100% in the mean time night fall has arrived, Sunset at present is 17:40. Due to wilde life coming out at dusk we (myself and my wife) do not travel during the evening (if you hit a kangaroo it is a car write off) for that the reason we decided to fly instead.

·
Registered
34 Posts
According to goole maps it is about 1200Km from where I live in Perth. The range of the 38Kw from 100% to 0 is around 313 Km. The trip normally would take around 13 hours with a ICE car, I calculated that it would take nearly 4 days in the 38Kw Ioniq due to charging infrastructure in our outback. Most places "Road Houses" would offer a 10amps charging, some camping/ caravans sites offer 20 amps few offer 32 amps charging, provided that one has the appropriate plug/adaptors. Now if I use caution and start my journey with 100% and go down to 15% it would give me a range of approx. 266Mk my first stop would probably require a 32amps charging and it would take around 5 hour to get to 100% in the mean time night fall has arrived, Sunset at present is 17:40. Due to wilde life coming out at dusk we (myself and my wife) do not travel during the evening (if you hit a kangaroo it is a car write off) for that the reason we decided to fly instead.
The car is not the problem, the lack of EV Infrastructure is the problem. Suggest you stick to ICE for that trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was saying wife we not seen EV all week last week.
Sunday out and about in Suffolk saw 3 x BMW I3s 2 x Leafs 1 x Kona and Tesla.
Your lucky to have ChargePlace Scotland in England we has mess small operators who rip you off.
My local charge point charges 50p conection + 30p kw.
Happy Eving

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car is not the problem, the lack of EV Infrastructure is the problem. Suggest you stick to ICE for that trip.
We will hire a ice car if we ever have to do it again. Normally we r ok on day to day use. Perth Australia has ok charging of course we would like to see many more DC chargers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I calculated 3 days 2 nights to get to Coral Bay
Caltex Jurien Bay has a 40kW CCS charger so 1 hr stop then onto first night in Geraldton.
Billabong Roadhouse has a Tesla Destination Charger so 4-5hr stopover and second night in Carnarvon.
Then a skip up to Coral Bay.
No leg greater than 244km so doable with careful driving.
The only other thing to worry about (apart from fender bending wildlife) is not having a spare tire I would say.
Though the Mrs says why take our nice new car to get beat up on outback roads :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not sure if the Tesla destination chargers work with the Ioniq, hope it is the case it would make it easier for us in WA. I think your calculation are on the mark.
Spotted a BMW I3 charging in Garden City shopping center 2 units available free of charge 7Kw type you need a chargefox card.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You need to be very careful relying on destination chargers in Oz or at least over here in Vic.
Since there are so few BEVs around the suppliers of the charge units have either gone broke or are very slack in maintaining the equipment. So in our case there is 1 of 2 in Ballarat that have been broken for months with no likelihood of repair.
The BEV around town is perfect but I would never risk a trip. That is why we had the Ioniq Plugin which was perfect. Now we have a Leaf we will take the ICE on trips.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That would have been a pretty wild trip to have a crack at in the Ioniq, even with the 38Khw version. The Ioniq is not an outback battler. I plan on lending mine to a relative and borrowing their ICE car when I take my family camping out bush - i.e. well beyond Orange & Bathurst.

In regards to the prevalence of EVs in Australia, they've been breeding like rabbits lately. At Broadway shops in Glebe, which has a whole basement level of the carpark dedicated to EV charging and carwashes, you're now lucky to get a spot to charge. Six months ago there was an odd Tesla at Broadway and little else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in Broome WA atm, staying at the Cable Beach Resort Club, had to hire a 4wd ice but hotel parking has 2 Tesla destination chargers must be in reach for Tesla.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts