Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I tried with Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth v4.0 on Ioniq 2020.
On my primary phone Sony Xperia XZ2 it mostly didn't work. App couldn't recognize the car model.
On my older Sony Xperia model the app worked more often, but not always. I returned the adapter and will buy OBDLink.
The iCar Pro is kind of an hit and miss you'll never know where it's internal electronics where sourced.
For most it works as expected but some struggle to make it work correctly or up to the announced specs.

The Watchdog is particularly sensitive to the OBD2 adapter's performance as it will use intensively by constantly pulling data from the interface.
After 6 command requests failing in a row the App will shutdown the connection.
You can try to lower the frequency (through the corresponding option in the settings menu) but that will also reduce the accuracy of calculations.

Personally and if you plan to use the App intensively I would recommend only one adapter which is the OBDLink LX and the one I've been using for +6 years and +120000kms without any issues. It's fast, reliable, secure, has all the features and some you can't find in any other adapter...

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
230 Posts
As I'm keeping my Ioniq 38, I've downloaded "EV Watchdog" free. First think it asks is "Allow EV Watchdog to access photos, media and files on your device?
& I have usual choice of deny/allow.

Why should this app need any access to photos & media? I can see it might need access to files if it's logging data.
For now I'll skip install, but please advise! I'm a bit paranoid about apps all over the place trying to grab my data!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
As I'm keeping my Ioniq 38, I've downloaded "EV Watchdog" free. First think it asks is "Allow EV Watchdog to access photos, media and files on your device?
& I have usual choice of deny/allow.

Why should this app need any access to photos & media? I can see it might need access to files if it's logging data.
For now I'll skip install, but please advise! I'm a bit paranoid about apps all over the place trying to grab my data!
Hello Handy.

It needs access to the internal storage for backup/restore of your historical data (battery condition and trips) through the settings menu.
Will also need access to the internal storage when logging data to a file is enabled but this is only possible for the premium version, so no problem there.

So it might work even if you refuse the access to the internal storage but you won't be able to backup/restore data that's for sure.

Actually the App's does all file access on it's own folder "EVWatchdog" under the "Download" folder.

Also since Android 11 all App's are not allowed to access anything they wish like it used to be and have restricted scoped access:
Storage updates in Android 11 | Android Developers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Made several changes to the website.

I've enabled the Cells-Charts tab under the battery page which give very interesting long-term stats about the battery pack.

Also added the model and version (/Mvv) to the user name rankings

Not surprising but the Ioniq seems to have the best consumption scores :)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
65 Posts
I have plugged in my OBDLink LX into my 2 weeks old Ioniq 38.3kWh and launched EV WatchDog, selected the Bluetooth dongle and tried to start the live data. The LEDs on the OBDLink flashed for a short time and then I've got the message "Unknown Model Type! Could not identify vehicle model type.". My Smartphone is a Redmi Note 8 with Android 10.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I have plugged in my OBDLink LX into my 2 weeks old Ioniq 38.3kWh and launched EV WatchDog, selected the Bluetooth dongle and tried to start the live data. The LEDs on the OBDLink flashed for a short time and then I've got the message "Unknown Model Type! Could not identify vehicle model type.". My Smartphone is a Redmi Note 8 with Android 10.
That's strange... Please mail me to: [email protected] and I'll send you some debug instructions.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
15 Posts
I have the same issue with an Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) . "Unknown model" (Ioniq 38kWh). But I discovered that if I restart the app then it recognizes the car, and everything goes well. Note that it's not enough too exit/restart the app. You should close the app from the android task manager in the phone before starting again. (At least in my case.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have the same issue with an Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) . "Unknown model" (Ioniq 38kWh). But I discovered that if I restart the app then it recognizes the car, and everything goes well. Note that it's not enough too exit/restart the app. You should close the app from the android task manager in the phone before starting again. (At least in my case.)
Are you using other OBD2 Apps like Torque?
I'm asking this because I think some other user had a similar issue when using Torque before.
I'll be addinga couple of new reset/initialization commands for the next version which I hope will sort out this kind of issues.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
15 Posts
Are you using other OBD2 Apps like Torque?
I'm asking this because I think some other user had a similar issue when using Torque before.
I'll be addinga couple of new reset/initialization commands for the next version which I hope will sort out this kind of issues.
I uninstalled Torque long time ago. And also EVnotify. Right now I only have ELM327 Identifier, OBD2 Hounddog and EV Watchdog.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
65 Posts
I've now tried multiple times to Start Live Data and suddenly it detected my car without an error message. shrugging

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I've now tried multiple times to Start Live Data and suddenly it detected my car without an error message. shrugging
Thats strange, might be the alignment of the pins on the adapter. I've had at least two reports of others which were having issues because of that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
New release available on playstore (v1.6)

• Fixed glide and regen calculation.
  • Fixed initialization sequence and forced OBD2 messages ordering.
  • Fixed data file logging.
  • Added preferred consumption and charge units.
  • Added support for KIA eSoul (experimental).
  • Added live data sync to server in charging mode (experimental).
  • Added multi-series charts.
  • Added new charts.
  • Added live data sync to website while charging.
You can now (premium users) follow remotely the charge through the website
If in charging mode the App will now sync battery data to the website (if the "sync to website" option is checked).

I'm still developing the page but it's already very functional (select the battery icon then the "live data tab":

All the info here: https://evwatchdog.net
here: EV Watchdog net - Download
and here: EV Watchdog net - Frequently Asked Questions

FB discussion group: Facebook Groups

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
15 Posts
New release available on playstore (v1.6)

• Fixed glide and regen calculation.
  • Fixed initialization sequence and forced OBD2 messages ordering.
  • Fixed data file logging.
  • Added preferred consumption and charge units.
  • Added support for KIA eSoul (experimental).
  • Added live data sync to server in charging mode (experimental).
  • Added multi-series charts.
  • Added new charts.
  • Added live data sync to website while charging.
You can now (premium users) follow remotely the charge through the website
If in charging mode the App will now sync battery data to the website (if the "sync to website" option is checked).

I'm still developing the page but it's already very functional (select the battery icon then the "live data tab":
View attachment 34329

All the info here: https://evwatchdog.net
here: EV Watchdog net - Download
and here: EV Watchdog net - Frequently Asked Questions

FB discussion group: Facebook Groups

Hi! After last update (v1.6) the issue with "Unknown Model Type! Could not identify vehicle model type." seems to be fixed. Now it works flawlessly from the first start.
Thanks a lot Watchdog, for al the effort with the app!!!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts