Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the PHEV Watchdog App (which supports the Outlander PHEV, Kia Niro PHEV, Kia Optima PHEV and Hyundai Ioniq PHEV) and after some requests I've decided to create a new Android (only) monitoring App for Kia and Hyundai EV models.

Watchdog is a complete monitoring App, it doest not only extract and display info provided by the car systems in real time but creates more stats and analysis and keeps track of everthing by storing historical data in it's internal database.
At this time I'm planning two versions of the App, a free on ad-based and a premium one where users will be able to sync data to the website and have further analysis there.

It's still in the making but support for the Ioniq EV, e-Niro and Kona EV is certain.

I've started a fb discussion group (where I will be posting the developments) here: Facebook Groups

Here a couple of screenshots of the App.

Live monitoring screens (or where you see the info while driving)

The App keeps track in a list of the battery condition (changes in SoH and SoC). And you'll get one card for every changes seen (screen on the left). From each card (one tap) you'll have access to the details of the recorded state (right screen).

There's a lot of info there:
  • Actual BMS SoC [display SoC] = actual charge
  • Actual BMS SoH of useable capacity [factory capacity]
  • Actual useable capacity [factory capacity]
  • Total current (energy) charged
  • Total current (energy) discharged
  • Total usage (current charged and discharged)
  • Total battery operating time
  • Total estimated cycles as per factory capacity
  • Total Ah lost per cycle
  • Total Ah lost per day
  • Battery voltage
  • Battery current
  • ]Max available power in / power out
  • Minimum cell # id @ voltage
  • Maximum cell # id @ voltage
  • Average [target] cell voltage
  • Maximum cell voltage difference
  • Minimum : maximum deterioration cell # id (SoH)
  • Isolation resistante
  • Minimum : inlet : maximum battery temperature
  • Auxiliary battery voltage
  • Inverter capacitor power supply voltage
  • Fan output power
[/list]

Beside storing the battery condition the App will also keep track of every trip you have monitored with it.
Each trip is kept on a card list (on the left) and by tapping the card you can have access to the details of each trip (right screen).

Details inside each trip card:
  • Date/Time it was recorded
  • Trip duration
  • Trip distance (odometer at the end)
  • Accumulated ascent / descent and elevation (from device's GPS)
  • Data resolution / error rate (from the OBD2 interface)
  • % of glide time (moving without motor or regenerative braking)
  • % of regenerative braking time
  • % of stopped time (without moving)
  • Eco score (efficiency score calculated by the App)
  • Weather season (inferred from GPS and calendar)
  • Charge at the beginning / end of the trip
  • Maximum observed power input / output
  • Minimum / maximum observed battery voltage
  • Minimum / maximum observed cell voltage
  • Maximum observed cell voltage difference
  • Minimum / average / maximum observed battery inlet temperature
  • Minimum / average / maximum observed battery temperature
  • Maximum observed battery fan power
  • Charge difference at beginning (difference from previous trip)
  • Average consumption
  • Wall-to-wheel average consumption (without regenerative braking)
  • Total consumed charge
  • Average / maximum regenerative braking power
  • Maximum observed motor torque

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP says Ioniq EV will be included.
Correct. Ioniq Electric, e-Niro and Kona EV.

I have another App called PHEV Watchdog (available at google's playstore) that supports the Ioniq PHEV, Niro PHEV and Optima PHEV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great. Can you recommend some OBD adapters for ioniq 2020? There are plenty of them being fake clones not working...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great. Can you recommend some OBD adapters for ioniq 2020? There are plenty of them being fake clones not working...
See the list on the website, these are known to work with the App: EV Watchdog Android monitoring App

Personally I would recommend the OBDLink LX, not cheap but fast and very reliable. You shouldn't go past the 4.6.2 firmware version or it will not work, if necessary downgrade (firmware available on the website).

·
Registered
79 Posts
See the list on the website, these are known to work with the App: EV Watchdog Android monitoring App

Personally I would recommend the OBDLink LX, not cheap but fast and very reliable. You shouldn't go past the 4.6.2 firmware version or it will not work, if necessary downgrade (firmware available on the website).
One thing to be aware of is that some dongles will not work with all apps. Of particular concern is that the SoulEVspy app, which works for all Hyundai and Kia EVs, only works with this dongle, Konnwei KW902. This app has become popular with Kona EV owners because of the recent battery issues and recall. It is very easy to use and provides a complete battery cell map showing voltages of all individual cell groups. This info is crucial to know if you have any defective battery cells. However, have to be careful in that there are a lot of pirated KW902s out there, and they don't all work. Best to refer to the SoulEVspy FAQ and instructions. Also note that this dongle also works with Torque Pro, probably the most popular app out there to analyze your car (not just EVs).

While you may not have any issues with the Ioniq EV at this time, it is still good peace of mind to know the health of you individual battery cells.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing to be aware of is that some dongles will not work with all apps. Of particular concern is that the SoulEVspy app, which works for all Hyundai and Kia EVs, only works with this dongle, Konnwei KW902. This app has become popular with Kona EV owners because of the recent battery issues and recall. It is very easy to use and provides a complete battery cell map showing voltages of all individual cell groups. This info is crucial to know if you have any defective battery cells. However, have to be careful in that there are a lot of pirated KW902s out there, and they don't all work. Best to refer to the SoulEVspy FAQ and instructions. Also note that this dongle also works with Torque Pro, probably the most popular app out there to analyze your car (not just EVs).

While you may not have any issues with the Ioniq EV at this time, it is still good peace of mind to know the health of you individual battery cells.
Yes, the Konnwei KW902 is on the list, but i've seen reported failling a lot of times (that's why it's identified with reliabilty issues on the list available on the website).

I recommend the OBDLink LX because it is by far the one with the best features (it's fast, it has autosleep/wakeup, encrypted connection and is firmware upgradable)
In terms of realibilty it's one of the best also, I've logged more than 120000kms with my unit without a single issues and I leave it always plugged in (+5 years now), but as I said not cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, the Konnwei KW902 is on the list, but i've seen reported failling a lot of times (that's why it's identified with reliabilty issues on the list available on the website).
I have a Konnwei KW902 and it never fails. As I mentioned, have to be careful not to buy one of the fake ones, as they definitely are unreliable. Best clue is if Amazon stocks it in their whse with a day or two delivery times then it is good. If you have to wait for it be shipped from China (for a few dollars less), then you are taking a chance.

And again this KW902 works for SoulEVspy as well, which is important to Hyundai and Kia EV owners. The one you recommend does not. And it also works for Torque Pro which is the most popular one used for all cars in general.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Konnwei KW902 and it never fails. As I mentioned, have to be careful not to buy one of the fake ones, as they definitely are unreliable. Best clue is if Amazon stocks it in their whse with a day or two delivery times then it is good. If you have to wait for it be shipped from China (for a few dollars less), then you are taking a chance.

And again this KW902 works for SoulEVspy as well, which is important to Hyundai and Kia EV owners. The one you recommend does not. And it also works for Torque Pro which is the most popular one used for all cars in general.
Yes definitely get one from a reliable source and from where you could get a refund or replacment.

The OBDLink LX also works with Torque Pro.
Not questioning but I do find strange not working with SoulEVspy, the OBDLink LX support a higher version of the ELM327 protocol (it's compliant up to 1.4b) while the KW902 which is not firmware upgradable and has been around a few years should be around v1.0 (some report falsely v1.5, but this version never existed).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not questioning but I do find strange not working with SoulEVspy, the OBDLink LX support a higher version of the ELM327 protocol (it's compliant up to 1.4b) while the KW902 which is not firmware upgradable and has been around a few years should be around v1.0 (some report falsely v1.5, but this version never existed).
Yes, while called 1.5, really 1.4b. That's actually how you know it is authentic. And that's what the SoulEVspy developer has worked with and verified compatibility.

There is also an app (free) that helps confirm that you have the right one.
Be sure it is NOT a v2.1. Those do not work.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
119 Posts
I have a konnwei. Works from time to time. At the moment not. Likely a copy version though. I wonder how hard it can be to just make a dongle that works! it's not like flying to Mars.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following the PHEV Watchdog App (which supports the Outlander PHEV, Kia Niro PHEV, Kia Optima PHEV and Hyundai Ioniq PHEV) and after some requests I've decided to create a new Android (only) monitoring App for Kia and Hyundai EV models.

Watchdog is a complete monitoring App, it doest not only extract and display info provided by the car systems in real time but creates more stats and analysis and keeps track of everthing by storing historical data in it's internal database.
At this time I'm planning two versions of the App, a free on ad-based and a premium one where users will be able to sync data to the website and have further analysis there.

It's still in the making but support for the Ioniq EV, e-Niro and Kona EV is certain.

I've started a fb discussion group (where I will be posting the developments) here: Facebook Groups

Here a couple of screenshots of the App.

Live monitoring screens (or where you see the info while driving)

The App keeps track in a list of the battery condition (changes in SoH and SoC). And you'll get one card for every changes seen (screen on the left). From each card (one tap) you'll have access to the details of the recorded state (right screen).

There's a lot of info there:
  • Actual BMS SoC [display SoC] = actual charge
  • Actual BMS SoH of useable capacity [factory capacity]
  • Actual useable capacity [factory capacity]
  • Total current (energy) charged
  • Total current (energy) discharged
  • Total usage (current charged and discharged)
  • Total battery operating time
  • Total estimated cycles as per factory capacity
  • Total Ah lost per cycle
  • Total Ah lost per day
  • Battery voltage
  • Battery current
  • ]Max available power in / power out
  • Minimum cell # id @ voltage
  • Maximum cell # id @ voltage
  • Minimum : maximum deterioration cell # id (SoH)
  • Isolation resistante
  • Minimum : inlet : maximum battery temperature
  • Auxiliary battery voltage
  • Inverter capacitor power supply voltage
  • Fan output power
[/list]

Beside storing the battery condition the App will also keep track of every trip you have monitored with it.
Each trip is kept on a card list (on the left) and by tapping the card you can have access to the details of each trip (right screen).

Details inside each trip card:
  • Date/Time it was recorded
  • Trip duration
  • Trip distance (odometer at the end)
  • Accumulated ascent / descent and elevation (from device's GPS)
  • Data resolution / error rate (from the OBD2 interface)
  • % of glide time (moving without motor or regenerative braking)
  • % of regenerative braking time
  • % of stopped time (without moving)
  • Eco score (efficiency score calculated by the App)
  • Weather season (inferred from GPS and calendar)
  • Charge at the beginning / end of the trip
  • Maximum observed power input / output
  • Minimum / maximum observed battery voltage
  • Minimum / maximum observed cell voltage
  • Maximum observed cell voltage difference
  • Minimum / average / maximum observed battery inlet temperature
  • Minimum / average / maximum observed battery temperature
  • Maximum observed battery fan power
  • Charge difference at beginning (difference from previous trip)
  • Average consumption
  • Wall-to-wheel average consumption (without regenerative braking)
  • Total consumed charge
  • Average / maximum regenerative braking power
  • Maximum observed motor torque

Stay tuned!
I know this may not be your focus, but can you include any data on how long the ICE was in operation?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts