Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall to have read somewhere that the Ionic Hybrid refuses to drive EV in sport mode(??). Apparently this seems a mistake. Today I noticed my car driving more than 4 km in sport mode with the green EV indicator on. I admit not to have pushed the throttle at all, but used the sailing tactic. Different kind of sport but very nice!

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
If the route is flat , you probably can . It's almost impossible to have EV and Sport simultaneously in the hills of Wales , at least from my experience

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
sport mode tends to aggressively charge the battery to give max EV / ICE power at all times. it is possible to get into EV mode in sport mode, but a lot harder then in ECO mode and the flip back to hybrid mode is far quicker

sport mode is really meant for short bursts (of fun driving) not for continuous use

·
Registered
33 Posts
One question about sport mode. Note* I have a Ioniq SEL Hybrid. Say your driving in sport mode and your in gear 4. Is it ok to move out of sport mode back to eco mode? Or is it the same thought as a true manual? Always downshift and never go from 5 gear to Neutral.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
One question about sport mode. Note* I have a Ioniq SEL Hybrid. Say your driving in sport mode and your in gear 4. Is it ok to move out of sport mode back to eco mode? Or is it the same thought as a true manual? Always downshift and never go from 5 gear to Neutral.
I don't know if you should , but that's what I do :) . Sport mode climbing the mountain road in the morning and switch to ECO when I've reached the summit . I haven't found anything in the handbook that says you shouldn't

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can shift from every gear in Sport mode back to ECO. No problemo. That one of the great features of DCT. Going over neutral when driving is not advised. First there is no neutral in sport mode and in Eco you may loose control f.i in downhill.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I get the "EV" display in Sport mode everyday, driving downhill.

I do this to charge the battery up to 2/3 SoC before driving uphill.

In Sport the engine may keep running while in EV mode, because the engine may keep charging the battery even when it is not powering the wheels. In that case, the fuel economy gauge is not at max (30 km/l for me) even though EV is displaid. The instantaneous fuel economy is around 25km/l.
It does not happen if you switch to Sport while the car is already in EV, but it happens if EV pops up while the car is already in Sport mode.
When driving downhill in EV Sport mode with the engine and regenerative braking charging the battery simultaneously, the battery charges up very, very quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts