Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ordering books for the Ioniq plug-in hybrid is now open in Europe and the vehicles themselves should be arriving at dealerships across the continent this summer.

Sharing a 1.6-litre petrol engine with its regular hybrid sibling, the plug-in variant can make at least 103 horsepower and instead of a 43hp electric motor, it gets a more potent single 60bhp electric unit along with a larger 8.9kWh battery pack. With a 16-amp wallbox, it takes just over two hours to charge.

Overall, the plug-in hybrid can send 139hp to the front wheels via a six-speed twin-clutch automatic gearbox. Enough to launch the car from 0 to 62mph in 10.6 seconds and give it a top speed of 110mph.

Intended to compete against sportier ‘PHEV’ hatchbacks, the Ioniq is loaded of technology at an affordable price including an ECO Driving Assistant System (ECO-DAS). The system includes a coasting function to optimize fuel economy, and Predictive Engine Management, which controls how much power is drawn from the gas engine and the electric motor.

There’s also three driving modes: EV, HEV Hybrid and Sport. In Sport, the powertrain and transmission is programmed to provide maximum power and faster shift.

“Since the successful European launch of the IONIQ Hybrid and Electric in the autumn of 2016, we are continuing to electrify Europe with the introduction of the IONIQ Plug-in Hybrid,” said Thomas Schmid, Chief Operating Officer at Hyundai Motor Europe.

The hard part will be deciding which of the eight exterior paint colors to choose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For all electric range, 39 miles NEDC is pretty poor. The Volt can do 53 miles EPA & has almost a 3 second faster 0-60MPH time. The MSRP of the Ioniq will probably come in less than the Volt, though. Cargo space on the Volt is rather limited too, for being such a large car. Hyundai's warranty is nicer, too.

Overall, I'm not that impressed with either the Volt (because of its large size, high MSRP & low cargo space) or the Ioniq PHEV (because of its low EV range & performance).

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
How do they compare in efficiency for driving in non EV mode? The efficiency of the old Volt was very bad compared to the old Prius Plug In (like 1:14 liter:km versus 1:22).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Since they can now be ordered, is the pricing for the PHEV over the Hybrid known? Also curious if we know how much cargo space is lost for the extra batteries. I'm guessing about 3.5 cu ft is lost, but I'd also love to see photo of the PHEV trunk/boot area to see what that really means in how much the rear deck is lifted for the batteries.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pricing of the PHEV is the most important question. I have not found that yet (in the Netherlands).
If I can afford it, I might be swapping my HEV for the PHEV.
Commuting in EV mode and longer weekend trips in HEV mode seems ideal to me.

Questions about the PHEV
- does it need the ICE to heat the cabin or can the airco be used in reverse mode (heatpump)?
- can it be pre-heated when plugged in?
- can it be forced to EV mode when cold?
- (room for) spare tire, or is this space used for the extra battery capacity?
- and more...

Anyone found a user manual for the PHEV yet?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote from the story of the PHEV in the link above:
The driver has the option to manually switch gear by using the paddle-shifters behind the steering wheel.

Is that true? On the pictures I cannot find the paddle shifters and I think it will be the same shifting method as with the HEV.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Way cool. So hard to tell from their one photo of the boot area how much the rear deck has come up to give room for more battery. I see there is no break in the deck to make a small door, so the storage space below deck is likely gone. Beyond that, it looks like it is at about the same height. But I'd be surprised if that is the case.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
For all electric range, 39 miles NEDC is pretty poor. The Volt can do 53 miles EPA & has almost a 3 second faster 0-60MPH time. The MSRP of the Ioniq will probably come in less than the Volt, though. Cargo space on the Volt is rather limited too, for being such a large car. Hyundai's warranty is nicer, too.

Overall, I'm not that impressed with either the Volt (because of its large size, high MSRP & low cargo space) or the Ioniq PHEV (because of its low EV range & performance).
Yes, but does the Volt have a sport mode? The issue is that the specs only quote acceleration time in Eco mode, not in optimal performance mode. The ability to switch is actually quite useful, and it looks like the PHEV adds new modes to the existing hybrid powertrain.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
For all electric range, 39 miles NEDC is pretty poor. The Volt can do 53 miles EPA & has almost a 3 second faster 0-60MPH time.
You are comparing it to wrong car with numbers that are not directly comparable. I don't believe either number is accurate in the real world, however most reviewers of the Ioniq PHEV have said range is between 27 to 31 miles max. This compares favorably with the car you should be comparing the Ioniq PHEV with, the Prius Prime.

·
Registered
62 Posts

But it'll be significantly cheaper than the Volt. My guesstimate is it'll be about C$10,000 than the Volt.

Also the it's not made to compete with the Volt. It's made to compete with the Prius Prime.

I must admit, I'm a little surprised it's coming so soon. I was anticipating it arriving as winter approaches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From the news I read, MSRP of Ioniq plug-in will be lower than Prius Prime. I just hope it will arrive in Canada sooner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts