Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just encountered the exact same problem on my new PHEV with 6000km. Charging station displayed rejected by vehicle. Could not charge for next 3 attempts at different stations. Started working again next day after car not used for a number of hours. Today had first service and tech says no error in log. Hmmm took the attached picture to show them...... It is a mystery so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The purpose of the lock is to ensure there is a good connection between the cable and the car to prevent t potentially dangerous arching and sparking. This sort of interlock is a common safety feature on all manner of equipment, e.g. washing machine will not start unless the door is shut and the lock has operated.
wrong! the mere pushing down on the pistol grip button on your charge handle ,deactivates the control circuit prior to the load pins pulling out. That's the anti arcing design safety measure. It's got nothing to do with a locking pin mechanism.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wrong! the mere pushing down on the pistol grip button on your charge handle ,deactivates the control circuit prior to the load pins pulling out. That's the anti arcing design safety measure. It's got nothing to do with a locking pin mechanism.
the control pins are designed to physically disengage before the load pins, as you pull the charge cable out ,in any circumstance.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
938 Posts
My car is in the Hyundai dealer for replacement, under waranty, of the lock solenoid which has failed and will not engage with and lock the charge plug when inserted into the car. The car will NOT charge till this solenoid is engaged.

This is fact and I am not wrong as you suggest!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My car is in the Hyundai dealer for replacement, under waranty, of the lock solenoid which has failed and will not engage with and lock the charge plug when inserted into the car. The car will NOT charge till this solenoid is engaged.

This is fact and I am not wrong as you suggest!
That locking solenoid interlock has nothing to do with an anti 'electrical arc' safety precaution as you suggested. It's merely a 'go' or 'no go', 'ready to charge' parameter in the control sequence, It's only there to prevent theft of the charging cable. So in essence,the car doesn't want you to charge, if it can't lock the charging cable against theft or vandalism.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
938 Posts
That locking solenoid interlock has nothing to do with an anti 'electrical arc' safety precaution as you suggested. It's merely a 'go' or 'no go', 'ready to charge' parameter in the control sequence, It's only there to prevent theft of the charging cable. So in essence,the car doesn't want you to charge, if it can't lock the charging cable against theft or vandalism.
OK I accept it is not there to prevent arching and I got my wording wrong in my original post, however the essence of what I said and the point I was trying to make remains that charging will not start until that solenoid engages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, my 2019 PHEV has joined this list. I had a problem with the Auto-Link app: It performed an update a week ago, and subsequently failed to log in, even after numerous fiddles and deleting/re-installing the app. Subsequently, the 'error while charging' problem appeared. I'm wondering if they are related?? The failure to do a recharge situations have been intermittent – one-off – over the past year. Still awaiting a call-back from the dealer, but looking at a 3 week wait for a service time to come available. 🤪 If my memory serves me correctly though, the lock has not been occurring (not audible) for some weeks, though charging has been happening. Curiouser and curiouser.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The fault has been repaired now:

They replaced the motor that locks the charging cable in place (part 91999D in the diagram).

They also replaced the motor that locks the charging door (part 81371A in the diagram). That was to fix the problem with the charging door not locking as reported in the other thread:
Charging door
Hi,
Thanks. This is really useful. I am having exactly the same symptoms on my 2019 PHEV . I hear the same clicking sound behind the charge socket and it trips out after about 20 seconds charging. I'll get the dealer to look at part no.91999D . Otherwise the car has been great for 18 months and just completed a 2,500 km outback trip in high heat with amazing fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly though, the lock has not been occurring (not audible) for some weeks, though charging has been happening. Curiouser and curiouser.
The Manuel provided the answer. Reminds me of the oft quoted refrain: "if at first you don't succeed., read the Manuel".

Apart form this, I drove intermittently in "Sport Mode" for a day. That night it charged again as normal. Neither Service nor myself understands why.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Manuel provided the answer. Reminds me of the oft quoted refrain: "if at first you don't succeed., read the Manuel".
View attachment 33112
Apart form this, I drove intermittently in "Sport Mode" for a day. That night it charged again as normal. Neither Service nor myself understands why.
It's because it's a poor design attempt by Hyundai to have the car think for you, instead of a simple lock/unlock switch on the dash you can select yourself as needed.
Gawd...facepalm..
It's overthinking patchwork do-dads like that and many others on this car ..that make me say goodbye to Hyundai...and hello Tesla,Vw, Aptera..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
I had same issue with my 2020 ioniq ev and it stranded me twice at a CCS charger. Charge connection error.

After charging on j17 for 4 hours and driving home from bc interior I dug deeper and realized My lock mechanism was stuck and was not locking. If the connector won’t lock then it will not charge. This is for safety on CCs so it cannot be removed while charging or have poor connection which can both cause arcing

We decided to try tugging my emergency charge connector release in the trunk after connecting (when it would normally lock) and we broke it loose and it Locked. I used to remember it locking just after connecting and it definitely stopped doing that. If you are ever stranded because your charge connection will not lock them try pulling the emergency release while it’s trying to lock it should break free and lock for you.

what a trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fault has been repaired now:

They replaced the motor that locks the charging cable in place (part 91999D in the diagram).

They also replaced the motor that locks the charging door (part 81371A in the diagram). That was to fix the problem with the charging door not locking as reported in the other thread:
Charging door
Hello
I had same issue with my 2020 ioniq ev and it stranded me twice at a CCS charger. Charge connection error.

After charging on j17 for 4 hours and driving home from bc interior I dug deeper and realized My lock mechanism was stuck and was not locking. If the connector won’t lock then it will not charge. This is for safety on CCs so it cannot be removed while charging or have poor connection which can both cause arcing

We decided to try tugging my emergency charge connector release in the trunk after connecting (when it would normally lock) and we broke it loose and it Locked. I used to remember it locking just after connecting and it definitely stopped doing that. If you are ever stranded because your charge connection will not lock them try pulling the emergency release while it’s trying to lock it should break free and lock for you.

what a trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

what a trip
Hopefully I don’t need to get the motor replaced I will try charging more often to keep it unstuck. It’s a city car and I only charge every week or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hopefully I don’t need to get the motor replaced I will try charging more often to keep it unstuck. It’s a city car and I only charge every week or so.
Unfortunately it seems to be a design fault with the lock. I had the same problem on my PHEV 2019 and had to have the lock replaced when it failed totally. Best to get it done while the warranty is still valid and it won't cost you.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts