Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first serious fault after two month of ownership and 1600 kilometers driven: My PHEV doesn't charge.

Nothing happens when plugging it in, except for some faint clicking sounds, apparently coming from behind the charging socket. Perhaps it's trying to lock the plug in place, but fails?

After some 10 seconds, all the three blue charging indicator lamps blink three times, which according to the user manual means "Error while charging".

ICCB or type 2 public charging station doesn't matter. It's the same problem.

The car still works as a hybrid, though. Regeneration and keeping a basic charge while driving seems to work OK. It's just plug-in charging that doesn't work, so driving in pure EV mode is impossible.

I spoke to the mechanic this morning, so I'm going to drop the car off at the dealer's garage tomorrow morning. Then, they are going to take a look at it between other jobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried exercising the connectors by plugging the cable in and out several times. But alas, no improvement.

Perhaps a blown fuse? I had a look in the fuse boxes, but there are so many fuses, and I hadn't a clue what to look for. They are "con-fuses" for sure! :)

So I left the car at the dealer's this morning.

To be continued...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a call from the garage. They have ordered some spare parts which are expected to arrive on Thursday. I've agreed to let them keep the car until then.

To be continued...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He didn't tell, and it didn't occur to me to ask. Sorry about that. I guess we'll have to wait a couple of days for the answer.

Please stand by for the next exciting episode... :)

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,136 Posts
If nobody knows what parts, we can take guesses and see who's closest.

I say it's floor mats and wiper blades. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
My guess is the physical charging socket in the car (which receives the plugin cable).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
My first serious fault after two month of ownership and 1600 kilometers driven: My PHEV doesn't charge.

Nothing happens when plugging it in, except for some faint clicking sounds, apparently coming from behind the charging socket. Perhaps it's trying to lock the plug in place, but fails?

After some 10 seconds, all the three blue charging indicator lamps blink three times, which according to the user manual means "Error while charging".

Congratulations:) - you knew what it was all the time.

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't like the fact that the Ioniq locks the charging cable when charging. I know in Europe owners sometimes have to carry their own J1772 cables (which is silly, when was the last time you had to supply your own nozzle at a gas station?), but I'm in Canada. There's no real reason to lock the cable in place.

Not only does it make it hard to unplug when charging is finished, if someone were to maliciously unplug my car, now they could technically force it and break something. I can't ever leave a note saying "if you need to charge badly feel free to unplug" because the **** thing is locked. And some stations have worn plugs that can't lock so the stupid motor just keeps whirring trying to engage for 2 - 3 minutes.

It's a stupid design. That and the fact that the charging port is in the rear (mine's a full electric).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I don't like the fact that the Ioniq locks the charging cable when charging. I know in Europe owners sometimes have to carry their own J1772 cables (which is silly, when was the last time you had to supply your own nozzle at a gas station?), but I'm in Canada. There's no real reason to lock the cable in place.

Not only does it make it hard to unplug when charging is finished, if someone were to maliciously unplug my car, now they could technically force it and break something. I can't ever leave a note saying "if you need to charge badly feel free to unplug" because the **** thing is locked. And some stations have worn plugs that can't lock so the stupid motor just keeps whirring trying to engage for 2 - 3 minutes.

It's a stupid design. That and the fact that the charging port is in the rear (mine's a full electric).
I see your point in case a fixed cable is used. Locking should be an option. Not bad design, just a sane default behaviour that most will be happy with.

I bring a J1772 since most stations does not have a cable. I'm happy for the lock. When home I turn on automatic unlocking when charging is done, so I can remove the fixed cable without unlocking the car.

Fun fact: If you leave the car unlocked after getting out, it will never lock automatically. But if you unlock the unlocked car just to release the cable, and not open any door, it will lock automatically after few seconds. Just discovered.

Reactions: Claudiu

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
945 Posts
In Cyprus, and I'm sure a lot of other countries around the world, public chargers do not have a cable, so you have to supply your own. Locking the cable is not something I would want to do without, and certainly don't think it is a "stupid" idea. Incidently the cable also locks into the charge point.
It also suits me better to have the charge point where it is.............you can't please all of the people all of the time LoL.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a little bit surprising, though, that the car won't charge at all if the cable lock doesn't work.

You would think it enough to display a warning on the dashboard, perhaps in combination with some beeps to alert you that there's something wrong.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It's a little bit surprising, though, that the car won't charge at all if the cable lock doesn't work.

You would think it enough to display a warning on the dashboard, perhaps in combination with some beeps to alert you that there's something wrong.

The purpose of the lock is to ensure there is a good connection between the cable and the car to prevent t potentially dangerous arching and sparking. This sort of interlock is a common safety feature on all manner of equipment, e.g. washing machine will not start unless the door is shut and the lock has operated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The purpose of the lock is to ensure there is a good connection between the cable and the car to prevent t potentially dangerous arching and sparking. This sort of interlock is a common safety feature on all manner of equipment, e.g. washing machine will not start unless the door is shut and the lock has operated.
Possibly, but there's another safety feature to take care of that. It has to do with different length of the pins inside the connectors. The signalling pins must make contact before charging can begin, and that always happens after the power pins have settled.

The reverse is also true. When you take out the plug, one of the signalling pins is always disconnected first. That stops charging before the power pins disconnect.

I thought that the locks were mostly there to prevent stealing the cable, or possibly to prevent mischievous kids from disconnecting charging cars.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Possibly, but there's another safety feature to take care of that. It has to do with different length of the pins inside the connectors. The signalling pins must make contact before charging can begin, and that always happens after the power pins have settled.

The reverse is also true. When you take out the plug, one of the signalling pins is always disconnected first. That stops charging before the power pins disconnect.

I thought that the locks were mostly there to prevent stealing the cable, or possibly to prevent mischievous kids from disconnecting charging cars.

I had forgotten about the signal pin. Perhaps the lock is more to do with your latter suggestion, but either way I'm pleased to have it. I believe charging will not start till the lock is engaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The car still works as a hybrid, though. Regeneration and keeping a basic charge while driving seems to work OK. It's just plug-in charging that doesn't work, so driving in pure EV mode is impossible.

I spoke to the mechanic this morning, so I'm going to drop the car off at the dealer's garage tomorrow morning. Then, they are going to take a look at it between other jobs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts