Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ever since my car just passed 500km, I realised there is a loud rough engine "LOW" rev sound whenever the batt is left few a few bars upon moving off. it's like sort of grinding.. anyone has similar encountered?

Went to Agent and they said it's NORMAL? But strangely, I never hear it when the initial first 500km.
Will try to record and post it on youtube for reference.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Is it definitely engine noise ? There have been some issues with brake noise apparently a return spring in my case, engine noise is about the same as new after 5000+miles

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yep I would say thats the sound I have heard from new on occasion....I just put it down to the engine running slightly differently to deliver the power...its GDI so varies the injection timing to run lean/rich depending on the power demanded and i guess its just working hard to charge the battery and do everything else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad someone here has the same strange sound. Never hear its so rough, primitive and RAW!

Anyway brought car to Agent, Technical supervisor also assured its common and happeneded at times.

Sigh. Never heard such in my old 2007 Prius NHW20..

·
Registered
776 Posts
I really never noticed this sound. Perhaps the car dynamo bearings are making this sound as the thing needs to work harder to charge the battery.?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Tend to agree with Rene, it's a combination of slightly higher ICE revs and the comparative silence when stationary - I think the engine is simply running slightly harder to charge the battery as it `knows` it's low...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts