Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently having issue with my new car engine oil, in the process to identify and to get the proper engine oil for it, i like to learn about the engine oil:

i'm driving Hyundai Ioniq HEV 2017 model.
living and driving in Malaysia (equatorial climate, hot or rainy, north of Singapore), so winter is out of concern here.

according to the car manual, it recommends: Shell Helix 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5
when dealer shop is doing car maintenance, they use Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 ACEA C2/C3

from my understanding and few googling, the important part is the 2nd part number 30 about the viscosity, the 1st part is about winter, which properly isn't much concern for my case.
now the last portion : ACEA, is this important?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe we are being prematurely unfair to the dealer.
With the higher temperature in Singapore 0-30 oil might be appropriate. Also has the dealer given the full ACEA spec as some oils like GM Dexos cover both diesel and petrol requirements.

·
Registered
34 Posts
C3 is not diesel engine oil, its just High HTHS, mid SAPS oil. In other words it is a high performance engine oil you would like in your turbocharged weekend car. Does a great job of protecting the engine at high loads, but neither long life, neither low fuel consumption oil.
Ideally you want A3/B3(A3/B4) oil for your Ioniq for performance and maximum engine protection or A5/B5 for the same reasons + low fuel consumption.
At least that is what I know about oil.

PS. I'd get A3/B3(A3/B4) if I'll be keeping the car for long time and will often be pushing the engine to high rpm. Does a better job of protecting the engine which outweighs lowered fuel consumption.

·
Super Moderator
7,808 Posts
PS. I'd get A3/B4(A3/B4) if I'll be keeping the car for long time and will often be pushing the engine to high rpm. Does a better job of protecting the engine which outweighs lowered fuel consumption.
but keep pushing the engine in into high rpm is not the way to get the best out the car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts