Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Hyundai & EA (Electrify America) announced 2 years of free charging from the time you take delivery of your IONIQ 5. No word yet if the EV6 will have this as an incentive or not.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV
13 Posts
Both Hyundai & EA (Electrify America) announced 2 years of free charging from the time you take delivery of your IONIQ 5. No word yet if the EV6 will have this as an incentive or not.
This could be quite a big deal and would offset some of the higher up-front cost for us, assuming the Limited edition is going to follow the EV6 upper trims into the $50k+ region. Road trips would be covered, which could be worth a grand over a couple of years, and we have two EA locations within 10 miles so it could even supplement home charging. Not that I'd want to regularly fast charge for local use, but one location has L2 at a mall, so we could top off while shopping/dining if the free charging extends to L2 (not sure if the 30 min session limit would apply? Not much use, if so.)

The EV6 limited edition offered a special gift of 1,000 kWh complimentary charging with EA (with a home charge station or Apple Watch as the alternatives). That would lead me to think that they won't be offering anything better than that for subsequent EV6 models, as it would make the gift look pretty daft.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both Hyundai & EA (Electrify America) announced 2 years of free charging from the time you take delivery of your IONIQ 5.
This is very good, note it is limited to 30 minutes a day. You should look for the 350 KW chargers to get a full charge.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV
13 Posts
The other point to note about Electrify America sites is that some only run up to 150kW charging. Last I checked, around 3/4 of their sites did have 350kW stations, but those serving metro locations with a longer dwell time (malls or Bank of America sites, usually) will often be 150 max.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The other point to note about Electrify America sites is that some only run up to 150kW charging. Last I checked, around 3/4 of their sites did have 350kW stations, but those serving metro locations with a longer dwell time (malls or Bank of America sites, usually) will often be 150 max.
Kyle from Out of Spec mentioned in his latest video (drove ID.4 from Florida to Colorado) that EA 350 kW chargers are intentionally installed at stations intended for supporting highway travel i.e. stations close to interstates.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV
13 Posts
Kyle from Out of Spec mentioned in his latest video (drove ID.4 from Florida to Colorado) that EA 350 kW chargers are intentionally installed at stations intended for supporting highway travel i.e. stations close to interstates.
Right. I'm not sure if they still use this terminology, but the early progress reports referred to locations with 350kW as "highway sites" and those with 150kW as "community sites".

In any case, the split was around 80/20 in favor of highway sites initially because phase 1 focused on spanning the country and interstate travel. Cycle 2 investment has seen more focus on metro areas, like the 40 locations announced with Bank of America, and those tend to be community sites.

With that shift in priorities, I'd guess they're closer to 70/30 (highway/community) now. With the network at 600+ sites, that still means a good 400+ sites will maximize the IONIQ 5's charging capabilities (and those will be on road trip routes, where reduced charge time is most important.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it's 30-minute sessions, not 30-minutes per day?
Right. The Hyundai IONIQ 5 press kit says: “HMA will continue to partner with Electrify America by offering unlimited 30-minute charging sessions for two years from the date of purchase on their rapidly growing network of ultra-fast chargers.”.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
We are slowly seeing EC come our way now, I am hoping this 2 year free charge extends into Canada for buyers, Currently in Greater Vancouver area they have nothing and it appears they are installing them to our Canadian Tire (auto parts and everything else) locations. I hope to see more locations, but at least this works well for us on the Western Canadian coas and can only expect more to come. Hopefully the Ioniq 5 prices out right here in Canada

We are slightly behind the US, lmao
Electrify Canada has identified 32 locations, offering 128 charging stations, with more to follow. Our network will cross 4 Canadian Provinces along major routes and within well-traveled metro areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts