Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my ioniq 5 Sel RWD for a month and I have been having problems with Electrify America charging stations. Often it will state it is initializing and fail to start and timeout. I have tried so many scenarios when I call the hotline and it's usually a hit or miss: I have made sure the car is unlocked when I initiate the charge, then plugging in charger first before I initiate charge online and the reverse, had electrify America reset the charger numerous times ... usually I get frustrated and I charge at home. I am very worried that when I need to make a longer trip I will have these issues . Anyone else have this issue ? I am wondering if it's a setting in my car that is tripping up the Electrify America charger.

·
Registered
2022 SEL, Black RWD
37 Posts
I have had my ioniq 5 Sel RWD for a month and I have been having problems with Electrify America charging stations. Often it will state it is initializing and fail to start and timeout. I have tried so many scenarios when I call the hotline and it's usually a hit or miss: I have made sure the car is unlocked when I initiate the charge, then plugging in charger first before I initiate charge online and the reverse, had electrify America reset the charger numerous times ... usually I get frustrated and I charge at home. I am very worried that when I need to make a longer trip I will have these issues . Anyone else have this issue ? I am wondering if it's a setting in my car that is tripping up the Electrify America charger.
Have you tried different charging unit? I have similar issue with couple of units in my area but others work fine. Most likely EA issue. Also make sure charging limits are correct under EV settings within infotainment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Unfortunately in Naples there is only one EA location. There are 2 350kW stations and I've had issues with both. They've reset for me several times. Today, I got it to start the charge then it just stopped. I am beginning to wonder if it's the car. Should I take it back to the dealer - perhaps it needs a software update?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately in Naples there is only one EA location. There are 2 350kW stations and I've had issues with both. They've reset for me several times. Today, I got it to start the charge then it just stopped. I am beginning to wonder if it's the car. Should I take it back to the dealer - perhaps it needs a software update?
Please plug in the CCS connector and hold it with force until the inital charging started. That could help most of the time. If not, try the other stall on the same charging station.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
159 Posts
350 kw chargers are hit or miss but I've noticed that the station says that it is initializing but is actually charging. Pay attention to your car/app to see if it's actually charging. I still haven't had it actually charge at 350 kw but hopefully it will work at other stations in town.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD Digital Teal w/ Green/Gray 2 tone interior
106 Posts
There’s no way to definitively say it is the car since you’ve only tried one station that has a history of malfunction. There are several CCS stations just north of Naples in Fort Myers. Check Plugshare. Go try one of them and see what happens. If they start charging without incident you know the problem lies with the EA charger not the car.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE RWD
21 Posts
I have only had one incident where i had to unplug and plug back in but this was before charging started at all. It's overall been a very good experience at the EA stations i've used. I have seen the tip about making sure you are holding the connector to make sure it's getting a good connection, but i've not run into that issue in real life yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the lousy Naples 350kw EA charger. Not having any problems with the one in Port Charlotte. We need more EA chargers.

I just read that Hyundai is offering a 3 year free charging on new Ioniq5. Does this apply to the ones already on the road?

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's the lousy Naples 350kw EA charger. Not having any problems with the one in Port Charlotte. We need more EA chargers.

I just read that Hyundai is offering a 3 year free charging on new Ioniq5. Does this apply to the ones already on the road?
If you have the Ioniq5 then yes. Your dealer should have given you some papers on it. Are you registered at this site
If not you should be, your dealer should have sent you a link to register it there. From there it sets you up on Blue link and you can get the app.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
159 Posts
I don't think exiting customers are included in the 3 years. My plan still says "2 years" in the Electrify America app. The people still waiting for their cars will have probably spent the equivalent of a year of charging on these high gas prices, so it evens out!

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
313 Posts

Where are you seeing 3 years? For those that signed up to reserve the car before it released are getting an extra year as an apology so these people will have 3 years total. Nothing brings up 3 years of charging for this car when I searched it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my ioniq 5 Sel RWD for a month and I have been having other problems with Electrify America charging stations. Often it will state it is initializing and fail to start and timeout. I have tried so many scenarios when I call the hotline and it's usually a hit or miss: I have made sure the car is unlocked when I initiate the charge, then plugging in charger first before I initiate charge online and the reverse, had electrify America reset the charger numerous times ... usually I get frustrated and I charge at home. I am very worried that when I need to make a longer trip I will have these issues . Anyone else have this issue ? I am wondering if it's a setting in my car that is tripping up the Electrify America charger.
Unexplained stoppage of charging once well into the charging session

I have had another issue with EA chargers (two different chargers at different locations). Charging will start as it should at rated speeds that are perfectly fine (130-140kw). Then a short time later 5-8 min usually, the car will stop charging at say 60% with a message to me on the myhyundai app saying charging stopped at preset limit. However, my car was set at 90% at the time with DC charging. So charging stopped no where near the limit. Then I go unplug the head and use another head on the same charger and can easily restart charging and it'll go a few minutes more and then stop charging again. I finally unplug and plug in a head from the adjacent charger and it keeps charging this time to 80% at which point I manually stop charging because I've spent around 30-40 min at the station because I have to start and stop multiple times. Particularly aggravating because the initial charge rate was sufficient to charge the car to 80% in 12 min if it had been able to continuously charge.

Anyone else with this issue? These unexplained stoppages of charging well after initialization. Any ideas how to circumvent?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unexplained stoppage of charging once well into the charging session

I have had another issue with EA chargers (two different chargers at different locations). Charging will start as it should at rated speeds that are perfectly fine (130-140kw). Then a short time later 5-8 min usually, the car will stop charging at say 60% with a message to me on the myhyundai app saying charging stopped at preset limit. However, my car was set at 90% at the time with DC charging. So charging stopped no where near the limit. Then I go unplug the head and use another head on the same charger and can easily restart charging and it'll go a few minutes more and then stop charging again. I finally unplug and plug in a head from the adjacent charger and it keeps charging this time to 80% at which point I manually stop charging because I've spent around 30-40 min at the station because I have to start and stop multiple times. Particularly aggravating because the initial charge rate was sufficient to charge the car to 80% in 12 min if it had been able to continuously charge.

Anyone else with this issue? These unexplained stoppages of charging well after initialization. Any ideas how to circumvent?
Yes, I've run into that exact scenario at two local EA stations in Marietta and Kennesaw, GA. As others have said, I think it's an issue with the EA units, as I have also used a couple ChargePoint units and, aside from slow response to start charging, they've worked fine. Caveat being that those were level 2 stations, not DC fast chargers.

It is frustrating since EA sessions are free, but it seems to be more of a free headache than anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I've run into that exact scenario at two local EA stations in Marietta and Kennesaw, GA. As others have said, I think it's an issue with the EA units, as I have also used a couple ChargePoint units and, aside from slow response to start charging, they've worked fine. Caveat being that those were level 2 stations, not DC fast chargers.

It is frustrating since EA sessions are free, but it seems to be more of a free headache than anything.
Hi Flsh328, Thanks for confirming you've had similar issues. Agree it is some kind of interaction between EA charges at the I5, not that either by themselves totally at fault. Since the two EA chargers I used all use the same software (I assume), I'm assuming it's a software type of issue that causes the unexpected charging halts. Agree it is more of frustration that critical operational issue since I have been able to complete the charging eventually but with much more time and effort than advertised for the car. Have appointment with Hyundai service in July but not certain they can replicate the issue since they certainly don't have an EA charger on site! Thanks! Maybe this is what Free Charging is like? On the flip side, Tesla's network is generally very steady and has worked 98% of the time for my wife's Model S. I suppose early adopters are going to run into aggravating bugs like the one mentioned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts