Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE RWD
21 Posts
Good info. I'm not familiar with Apple wallet. Does the charger recognize the car when plug is inserted, or do you use a phone app? Did you need to terminate the session at 30 min, to stay within the "free charge" sideboards? 150kW stations actually did slightly better than their labeled rate? Was your charge max set for 90%?
View attachment 39859
The apple wallet on iPhone stores a pass from the EA app on the phone which you can scan on the EA Charger, so you don't have to open the app to charge. But you can also initiate charging in the app, in both cases the first thing you do is plug into the car.

You do not need to terminate the session at 30 minutes, i did just to avoid additional fees and it wasn't a case that i needed more. Yeah a bit odd but I did see that the 150s report higher max speeds than you would think, not sure if that is actually delivered or not. Also I've come closest to the 20-80 in 18 minute benchmark on a 150, so not sure what's up with that.

I have modified the max charge based on the scenario, with a road trip i max it out but for normal driving max it at 80%. This gives me the most bang for the 30 minute limit.

·
Registered
2020 ioniq electric ultimate
48 Posts
I hope Hyundai Canada makes a similar deal with a charging network! (Sorry if someone already said this)

Or would it least work on a Canadian i5 that’s visiting the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Lucid Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hmmm. I’ve charged my Ioniq 5 at EA a total of six times so far. Each time I used the Apple Wallet app with the EA card.

Only one time did I have a problem for which I called EA. Turns out on that particular charger the NFC area was in a slightly different location that I though and was simply putting my phone in the wrong place. Once I tried it putting my phone in the correct place it worked properly. Definitely a newbie mistake on my part. The other 5 times everything went perfectly.
Huh. I just deleted and re added my Apple wallet EA card, will see if that makes a difference. Do your EA chargers have the little tiny screen on the black card reader? That’s where I’ve held my phone, and it buzzes as if it’s reading it but never does anything.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
657 Posts
Huh. I just deleted and re added my Apple wallet EA card, will see if that makes a difference. Do your EA chargers have the little tiny screen on the black card reader? That’s where I’ve held my phone, and it buzzes as if it’s reading it but never does anything.
Do not use that reader, that is for credit card payment NFC. Underneath that should be a Gray sticker with white antenna symbol, that is the NFC reader for your account.
Product Communication Device Gadget Telephony Portable communications device

·
Registered
678 Posts
Is it all like the Chargepoint chargers?
With that I had both app and tiny plastic card. I could start charging with either. The app let me know if the charger was in use or not.
I mainly uses the card though and left the card in the car. They gave you 2 when you signed up.
It all is attached to your account.

I've not seen a car that let's the charger know anything other then the handshake of connection.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So what you are telling me is I may have an ID 10 T error huh? 😅
Turns out that the one time I had issues trying to get the EA charging working with the EA "card" in my Apple Wallet was exactly that error on my part. Rather than considering it an ID 10 T error I chalked it up to being a newbie mistake that could be corrected next time. But I guess I consider ID 10 T errors as ones that you never learn from.

·
Registered
Digital Teal Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
28 Posts
Was said earlier in the thread but wanted to add/confirm - you definitely can game the 30 minute charging sessions. Went to charge last night, pulled in at 28, was at 78 and it was finally pulling in the 100-150kw range so I unplugged at 29 minutes, then initiated again using the app and plugged in again, didn't get billed!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Was said earlier in the thread but wanted to add/confirm - you definitely can game the 30 minute charging sessions. Went to charge last night, pulled in at 28, was at 78 and it was finally pulling in the 100-150kw range so I unplugged at 29 minutes, then initiated again using the app and plugged in again, didn't get billed!
It's not really Gaming the system.
Hyundai just said 30 min sessions with nothing else written. Therefore, yes, you can unplug and start again.

I believe there is another Hyundai car that has the free charging but I think they need to wait 30 min in between sessions and it is written in the rules. I don't really care which car so I'm not going to go look ;)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Limited (Shooting Star, Dark Green)
198 Posts
It's not really Gaming the system.
Hyundai just said 30 min sessions with nothing else written. Therefore, yes, you can unplug and start again.

I believe there is another Hyundai car that has the free charging but I think they need to wait 30 min in between sessions and it is written in the rules. I don't really care which car so I'm not going to go look ;)
Fine Print- 2 Available on 2022 IONIQ 5 vehicles purchased from an Authorized Hyundai Dealer. 2 years of 30-minute DCFC and 60-minutes of L2 charging begins upon date of vehicle sale. There is a 60-minute waiting period between charging sessions, and the promotion benefits will not apply to a charging session initiated within this period. Non-transferable. Not available for commercial use, such as ridesharing. Requires Electrify America account, app, enrollment in IONIQ 5 Charging Plan, and acceptance of Terms of Use. After user-initiated charge session stop or vehicle reaches full charge or charging otherwise stops, and 10-minute grace period, idle fees will apply and user is responsible.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Fine Print- 2 Available on 2022 IONIQ 5 vehicles purchased from an Authorized Hyundai Dealer. 2 years of 30-minute DCFC and 60-minutes of L2 charging begins upon date of vehicle sale. There is a 60-minute waiting period between charging sessions, and the promotion benefits will not apply to a charging session initiated within this period. Non-transferable. Not available for commercial use, such as ridesharing. Requires Electrify America account, app, enrollment in IONIQ 5 Charging Plan, and acceptance of Terms of Use. After user-initiated charge session stop or vehicle reaches full charge or charging otherwise stops, and 10-minute grace period, idle fees will apply and user is responsible.

Ahh, then I think it may have been changed. I think, could be wrong, but swore that it didn't have the waiting period but the other vehicle did. Actually I think there was a discussion on it here....... cuz I don't know where else I would have seen it.
I guess Stomish will find out later :O

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ahh, then I think it may have been changed. I think, could be wrong, but swore that it didn't have the waiting period but the other vehicle did. Actually I think there was a discussion on it here....... cuz I don't know where else I would have seen it.
Hyundai says
"Available on new 2022 IONIQ 5 Electric vehicles purchased from an authorized U.S.-based (excluding Alaska) Hyundai dealer on or before December 31, 2023. Two years of unlimited 30-minute complimentary charging sessions from the date of purchase at Electrify America charging stations Non-transferable. Not available for commercial use, such as ridesharing. Requires Electrify America account, app, acceptance of Terms of Use, and enrollment in Hyundai Premium Charging plan. After user-initiated charge session stop or vehicle reaches full charge or charging otherwise stops, and 10-min grace period, Idle Fees will apply and user is responsible. In the event of suspected fraud or abuse or other unforeseen events, Hyundai Motor America may discontinue or modify the offer in its sole discretion. "

So maybe that is where I got it. End result of the terms would be on the EA site... so I stand corrected, TY

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
657 Posts
Look at your account history page and you'll see if you were actually charged or not.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Limited (Shooting Star, Dark Green)
198 Posts
People have been gaming the system and posting about it since the plan went active. I think EA is not punishing anyone for it. If the policy becomes abused by many more people, there may be actions put in place. For now, it works. I haven't had a need to do this though. Fast charging and all, plus summer is coming.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
112 Posts
Not much to be learned from my first Hyundai-Electrify America charging experience.
I used a nearby EA charging station for the first time (34% to 89% in 25 min, 45kw, $19.71 no charge). Three slots there in very busy market parking area were empty when I pulled in. While there, another Ioniq 5 pulled in and later a VW ID.4. Since I arrived when all slots were empty, I chose the slot with shortest access to I5 right rear charger port. Others had to back in which is somewhat awkward in busy traffic area. I chose 150kw max charge rate although 350kw was available. I fumbled the initiation steps apparently by trying to use the charger touch screen. Third attempt I inserted the plug and used my EA phone app to start the charge. I couldn't see the charge progress screen due to my choice of charger stations, but same info was on phone app and I5 driver's screen. (The latter goes dark after a few minutes, and I had to open driver door to make it visible.)
Casual Observation: BEV charging stations have no cover (or full-service attendants) like gas pumps mostly have, so inclement weather requires appropriate protection. Initially I didn't like standing in the cold wind while fumbling the charge initiation, but once I learned that lesson, I went back inside the car to finish the charge in comfort. In sum, a pleasant and convenient experience. I would add that the charger arrangement (3 stations, each with two units) offers much choice but the one most accessible to right rear of I5 has screen facing away. The cords are very heavy and stiff and I'm not sure they can be easily stretched across the front or back of the car to reach across to a charger port (they have no counterweight assist like many gas pump hoses). Not complaints, just different.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
313 Posts
Not much to be learned from my first Hyundai-Electrify America charging experience.
I used a nearby EA charging station for the first time (34% to 89% in 25 min, 45kw, $19.71 no charge). Three slots there in very busy market parking area were empty when I pulled in. While there, another Ioniq 5 pulled in and later a VW ID.4. Since I arrived when all slots were empty, I chose the slot with shortest access to I5 right rear charger port. Others had to back in which is somewhat awkward in busy traffic area. I chose 150kw max charge rate although 350kw was available. I fumbled the initiation steps apparently by trying to use the charger touch screen. Third attempt I inserted the plug and used my EA phone app to start the charge. I couldn't see the charge progress screen due to my choice of charger stations, but same info was on phone app and I5 driver's screen. (The latter goes dark after a few minutes, and I had to open driver door to make it visible.)
Casual Observation: BEV charging stations have no cover (or full-service attendants) like gas pumps mostly have, so inclement weather requires appropriate protection. Initially I didn't like standing in the cold wind while fumbling the charge initiation, but once I learned that lesson, I went back inside the car to finish the charge in comfort. In sum, a pleasant and convenient experience. I would add that the charger arrangement (3 stations, each with two units) offers much choice but the one most accessible to right rear of I5 has screen facing away. The cords are very heavy and stiff and I'm not sure they can be easily stretched across the front or back of the car to reach across to a charger port (they have no counterweight assist like many gas pump hoses). Not complaints, just different.
View attachment 40121
Those cords don't stretch at all, so keep that in mind if you are ever forced into an awkward parking position. You can always turn on the car while charging and see the number and leave it running if you want to. I've learned after my first experience, never ever use the touchscreen interface. I "cancelled" so many times lol.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
112 Posts
Those cords don't stretch at all, so keep that in mind if you are ever forced into an awkward parking position. You can always turn on the car while charging and see the number and leave it running if you want to. I've learned after my first experience, never ever use the touchscreen interface. I "cancelled" so many times lol.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

I did my first home charger too, just to top off overnight; 13 hours (7pm to 8am), 70% to90% using the stock Hyundai EVSE on 110v wall socket. Very convenient in my garage but had to back I5 into garage due to plug locations and short EVSE cord. Don't know power consumption or cost, yet. Convenience is king, but free charging for two years rules.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I did my first home charger too, just to top off overnight; 13 hours (7pm to 8am), 70% to90% using the stock Hyundai EVSE on 110v wall socket. Very convenient in my garage but had to back I5 into garage due to plug locations and short EVSE cord. Don't know power consumption or cost, yet. Convenience is king, but free charging for two years rules.
You can also get I think, Kill-o-watt. It shows you what's being sent out of the plug. They also make one that has a big clip that you put over just the wire and shows you the same thing.
If you wanna get really special, hook up your house to show you what everything is using. I saw it on Ask This Old House. :D

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
112 Posts
You can also get I think, Kill-o-watt. It shows you what's being sent out of the plug. They also make one that has a big clip that you put over just the wire and shows you the same thing.
If you wanna get really special, hook up your house to show you what everything is using. I saw it on Ask This Old House. :D
Toy Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment

81 - 100 of 109 Posts