Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think it's a battery temp issue because I have been driving cross country and the charging station has been in the Nav system. The battery should have been ready to accept full charging speed. I reported three stations!! Will see how rest of the journey unfolds.
If you're on a road trip, should you be posting on a forum? Hands on the wheel.

If it's a scam, maybe you can get a refund on your free charging?

·
Registered
678 Posts
The EA 30-minute deal seems like a scam! I tried 3 different stations...two of them 350 kW and one 150 kw. None of them were able to charge at a rate higher than 50 kw/hr. So, didn't make much progress in the 30 minute sessions... delaying a cross country road trip! After reporting all three stations to EA, I concluded that the actual rate of charge you will get at any given charger is somewhat of a gamble. I am calling this "deal" a scam because it does NOT meet the advertised rate of charge ...and the labels on the chargers are misleading at best. The EA app should let people know the actual charging rates.
Please tell us WHICH car you have and the states you were traveling in. If this is your first EV then you don't know about the cold weather.
Again go read the other posts about how the charging works

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to Ioniq 5 world
At this point, we as Ioniq 5 community was waiting answers from Hyundai on "coldgate" (you can google on this)
No one in the I5 community knows answers and lot of intepretations on this.. bottom line, Hyundai's 18min charging time sales ad not able to meet real world charging times and there are certain times people able to match close to that charging times but based on their own "climate conditions"
At this point we know for sure, hardware may exists in I5 (heating pump, battery heater) and we are hoping at some point this year Hyundai connects these hardware components into some kind of software to do the best thing ie improve charge speed on all climate conditions
just an fyi.. at this point, only Tesla able to conquer this and none other and every manufactures are in the process doing the same

I don't think it's a battery temp issue because I have been driving cross country and the charging station has been in the Nav system. The battery should have been ready to accept full charging speed. I reported three stations!! Will see how rest of the journey unfolds.

·
Registered
143 Posts
agreed. As a car owner if i drag hyundai to court and very good chance hyundai can win in court. but definetly Hyundai cannot win more customers unless they tune their wording "ideal conditions" matching to better real world conditions

Again, you need to Read the Print on their quote of this........... in Ideal Conditions....

·
Registered
678 Posts
agreed. As a car owner if i drag hyundai to court and very good chance hyundai can win in court. but definetly Hyundai cannot win more customers unless they tune their wording "ideal conditions" matching to better real world conditions
This is with ALL EV's
Would you take a Gasser to court over less MPG when you drag raced it ?

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD
87 Posts
I've been annoyed that the Apple Wallet card EA provided doesn't work to start charging, I have to go to the app and tell it to start. That said, would be cool if it recognizes the car and doesn't need any interaction with phone at some point.
This is super annoying! Neither of my free sessions so far recognized the EA Apple Wallet card. EA phone support thought the e-card reader was not working. Next time, I’ll take off my phone case to see if that helps.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Limited (Shooting Star, Dark Green)
198 Posts
This is super annoying! Neither of my free sessions so far recognized the EA Apple Wallet card. EA phone support thought the e-card reader was not working. Next time, I’ll take off my phone case to see if that helps.
The last remaining step is for Hyundai to provide an update for Plug and Charge. Then no app and no card will be needed. Hopefully that happens in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Lucid Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I’ve never had any luck with the Apple Wallet card (but admittedly have only been to two locations near home) but it’s been flawless opening the app and sliding to charge. I’ve only seen one person here (I think) that has claimed the apple wallet card worked for them, so I wonder if that was an anomaly.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Limited (Shooting Star, Dark Green)
198 Posts
I’ve never had any luck with the Apple Wallet card (but admittedly have only been to two locations near home) but it’s been flawless opening the app and sliding to charge. I’ve only seen one person here (I think) that has claimed the apple wallet card worked for them, so I wonder if that was an anomaly.
I’ve tried once and it did not work. I just stick with the app. I have a sneaking suspicion that it only works for people that pay for the charge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The EA 30-minute deal seems like a scam! I tried 3 different stations...two of them 350 kW and one 150 kw. None of them were able to charge at a rate higher than 50 kw/hr. So, didn't make much progress in the 30 minute sessions... delaying a cross country road trip! After reporting all three stations to EA, I concluded that the actual rate of charge you will get at any given charger is somewhat of a gamble. I am calling this "deal" a scam because it does NOT meet the advertised rate of charge ...and the labels on the chargers are misleading at best. The EA app should let people know the actual charging rates.
Just arrived home from a trip where a stop at EA was required. Only one 350 kW charger at that station and an ID.4 was using it. So I charged at the adjacent 150 kW charger and peaked out at about 135 kW. On an previous trip I used a 350 kW EA charger and saw it peak at something over 220 kW.

I don’t know everything about the conditions, especially temperatures and the state of charge you had at the time, but I do know that my particular Ioniq 5 can definitely charge faster than 50 kW.

By the way, I had a nice chat with the fellow with the ID.4. Both nice in that he was a nice fellow and nice in that we could share experiences as new owners of BEVs. When he learned I could have made use of the 350 kW with 200+ kW charging, he was apologetic about using the 350 kW charger when there was 150 kW ones available and his car was unable to use the faster charging rate. He said he’d avoid the 350 kW chargers in the future if there was a good working 150 kW one available so that people with faster charging cars could use them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been annoyed that the Apple Wallet card EA provided doesn't work to start charging, I have to go to the app and tell it to start. That said, would be cool if it recognizes the car and doesn't need any interaction with phone at some point.
Hmmm. I’ve charged my Ioniq 5 at EA a total of six times so far. Each time I used the Apple Wallet app with the EA card.

Only one time did I have a problem for which I called EA. Turns out on that particular charger the NFC area was in a slightly different location that I though and was simply putting my phone in the wrong place. Once I tried it putting my phone in the correct place it worked properly. Definitely a newbie mistake on my part. The other 5 times everything went perfectly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The first tine I went to EA it showed a $30usd charge I called and was told the first time it shows but not after
No issue since Oh I do have an issue The darn cords are hard to bend When I see other ecars with the charge port near the front I wonder why the ioniq 5 is in the back to one has to back in

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
112 Posts
Just arrived home from a trip where a stop at EA was required. Only one 350 kW charger at that station and an ID.4 was using it. So I charged at the adjacent 150 kW charger and peaked out at about 135 kW. On an previous trip I used a 350 kW EA charger and saw it peak at something over 220 kW.

I don’t know everything about the conditions, especially temperatures and the state of charge you had at the time, but I do know that my particular Ioniq 5 can definitely charge faster than 50 kW.

By the way, I had a nice chat with the fellow with the ID.4. Both nice in that he was a nice fellow and nice in that we could share experiences as new owners of BEVs. When he learned I could have made use of the 350 kW with 200+ kW charging, he was apologetic about using the 350 kW charger when there was 150 kW ones available and his car was unable to use the faster charging rate. He said he’d avoid the 350 kW chargers in the future if there was a good working 150 kW one available so that people with faster charging cars could use them.
Good to hear that charge site courtesy exists. AND that some chargers and BEVs work the way they're expected to.
Smile Muscle Strapless dress Fun Flash photography

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE RWD
21 Posts
I've had very good experiences with EA found using the apple wallet the easiest way to do it.

2/27 Kingman, AZ 350 kW Connector added 55 kW (27-93%) in 30 Minutes max speed reported at 202.54 kW temp 70's
2/26 Phoenix, AZ 150 kW Connector added 51 kW (29-90%) in 25 Minutes max speed reported at 154.12 kW temp 60's
2/12 Quartzite, AZ 350 kW Connector added 47 kW (36-91%) in 22 Minutes max speed reported at 350 kW temp 80's
2/12 Indio, CA 350 kW Connector added 47 kW (32-90%) in 22 Minutes max speed reported at 281.40 kW temp 80's
2/8 Indio, CA 150 kW Connector added 49 kW (31-91%) in 31 Minutes max speed reported at 175.50 kW temp 80's
2/8 Quartzide, AZ 350 kW Connector added 33 kW (40-80%) in 12 Minutes max speed reported at 350 kW temp 80's

I know i'm lucky that the weather is temperate here and not seen the actual 20-80% in 18 Minutes but it's close enough for my satisfaction. And all of these sessions were no charge, so yay!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
112 Posts
I've had very good experiences with EA found using the apple wallet the easiest way to do it.

2/27 Kingman, AZ 350 kW Connector added 55 kW (27-93%) in 30 Minutes max speed reported at 202.54 kW temp 70's
2/26 Phoenix, AZ 150 kW Connector added 51 kW (29-90%) in 25 Minutes max speed reported at 154.12 kW temp 60's
2/12 Quartzite, AZ 350 kW Connector added 47 kW (36-91%) in 22 Minutes max speed reported at 350 kW temp 80's
2/12 Indio, CA 350 kW Connector added 47 kW (32-90%) in 22 Minutes max speed reported at 281.40 kW temp 80's
2/8 Indio, CA 150 kW Connector added 49 kW (31-91%) in 31 Minutes max speed reported at 175.50 kW temp 80's
2/8 Quartzide, AZ 350 kW Connector added 33 kW (40-80%) in 12 Minutes max speed reported at 350 kW temp 80's

I know i'm lucky that the weather is temperate here and not seen the actual 20-80% in 18 Minutes but it's close enough for my satisfaction. And all of these sessions were no charge, so yay!
Good info. I'm not familiar with Apple wallet. Does the charger recognize the car when plug is inserted, or do you use a phone app? Did you need to terminate the session at 30 min, to stay within the "free charge" sideboards? 150kW stations actually did slightly better than their labeled rate? Was your charge max set for 90%?
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

61 - 80 of 109 Posts