Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Lucid Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen someone post that the thirty minute free sessions for two years on USA Ioniq 5’s was limited to once per day, but wanted to check the fine print for myself. From EA’s website, ooks like it’s a 60 minute lock out, not once per day. Great if you are going on a road trip and need to stop over at different chargers or need to charge before and after work before a long trip or something.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

Im assuming this was just a charger error, but I did move one spot over one time and it just started the charge for free on the second charger, no identification of me in any way and it even asked for a phone number in case I wanted a receipt, but said the charging was complimentary. Again, guessing that was a charger error, but might be worth trying as long as no one else needs the chargers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm wondering if it is solely tied to your account or if it somehow is detecting the vehicle as well. Basically, if you have the free charging enabled on your account and you charge with another EV, will it apply the free 30 minute session or will it recognize that you're not charging your Ioniq 5 and proceed with normal billing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm wondering if it is solely tied to your account or if it somehow is detecting the vehicle as well. Basically, if you have the free charging enabled on your account and you charge with another EV, will it apply the free 30 minute session or will it recognize that you're not charging your Ioniq 5 and proceed with normal billing?
I tried EA for the first time yesterday -- they EA station recognized the car upon plug-in and was able to charge without any other login. I assume it looks at VIN.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Say you use this for a couple of times a week every week for 2 years.

How much will the battery degrade by, by constant use of the fast chargers?

Will the money you are saving with free charging cost you more in the long run with regards to the health of the battery long term?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
128 Posts
The battery degradation is mostly due to heat, and the I5 has liquid cooled batteries. Teslas do 200K miles with limited loss of battery, so it should be ok. I wouldn't do this with a non-liquid cooled EV (Soul, Niro, Kona, etc)

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq5 SEL AWD digital teal
61 Posts
I tried EA for the first time yesterday -- they EA station recognized the car upon plug-in and was able to charge without any other login. I assume it looks at VIN.
That didn't work for me, I had to activate the charger in the app. Did you do anything particular to have the station start the charge on its own?

·
Registered
I5 LR RWD> RIP-Audi S4
505 Posts
The battery degradation is mostly due to heat, and the I5 has liquid cooled batteries. Teslas do 200K miles with limited loss of battery, so it should be ok. I wouldn't do this with a non-liquid cooled EV (Soul, Niro, Kona, etc)

Manual states DC once per month, more regular use may lead to quicker degradation, one would only know this if they did and there was a test comparison.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I assume that they would have a way to ensure that you're only using those free sessions on your Ioniq 5... but it would be cool to be able to charge my second EV... that we don't have yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i was in the impression that like ID4, Ioniq 5 will be getting free 30min with 30min intervel for 2 years (ID4 is 3 years unlimited with 30 min free and 30 min intervel)
is this something changed recently by Hyundai ?

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Lucid Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i was in the impression that like ID4, Ioniq 5 will be getting free 30min with 30min intervel for 2 years (ID4 is 3 years unlimited with 30 min free and 30 min intervel)
is this something changed recently by Hyundai ?
Nope, the plan hasn't changed for the Ioniq 5, it just seems a lot of people didn't look at the fine print. The ID.4 plan from VW and Ioniq 5 plan from Hyundai are not in any way related other than they both have separate contracts with Electrify America.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts