1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Seems like the exact-same arguments as five years ago. Where are all the electric cars with `double` the mileage and 1/10th of the charging time promised?

https://greentransportation.info/ev-charging/range-confidence/chap8-tech/charge-faster-than-gas.html

It's a rhetorical question: They are in the same labs and university campuses they've always been in. Not quite ready for market.

Government might have given EV's a nudge in political will, but battery and charging capability is still the same thorn in the side it always has been.

You'd think with the hundreds of millions thrown at battery tech it would have reached at least ONE of the lesser-spotted `five year goals` by now...

Or rather, you wouldn't. :mad:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rhetorical question: They are in the same labs and university campuses they've always been in. Not quite ready for market.
Yup. And same reason we won't see any mass-produced full autonomous vehicles before 2050 likely. >:)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yup. And same reason we won't see any mass-produced full autonomous vehicles before 2050 likely. >:)
Politicians are simply ill-equipped to deal with the persuasive political arguments for EV.
They are there ONLY to promote the updating of requirements to facilitate the provision of electric vehicles.

Scientists need to get on with actually delivering what they promised.

Countries across Europe have set supposedly hard-and-fast deadlines. First they need to demonstrate those deadlines can be met. And I don't mean a politicians empty, vacuous promise. It means actual scientific demonstration of the technology that enables the thing to happen...

Like many I am suffering from PTSD - Promised Technology Seriously Delayed..!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Politicians are simply ill-equipped to deal with the persuasive political arguments for EV.
They are there ONLY to promote the updating of requirements to facilitate the provision of electric vehicles.

Scientists need to get on with actually delivering what they promised.

Countries across Europe have set supposedly hard-and-fast deadlines. First they need to demonstrate those deadlines can be met. And I don't mean a politicians empty, vacuous promise. It means actual scientific demonstration of the technology that enables the thing to happen...

Like many I am suffering from PTSD - Promised Technology Seriously Delayed..!
It reminds me of commercial fusion power technology - achievable in next two decades, since 1960’s :eek:

·
Registered
481 Posts
The latest scientific breakthrough seems to be making coal from CO2.

Bring on the steam powered car 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
It reminds me of commercial fusion power technology - achievable in next two decades, since 1960’s :eek:
Yes, the only thing that's changed is the gullibility of the paying public - everything that was `just twenty years away` in the Sixties is now `Only five years away` today. And still never here...

I'd like to see how quickly the politicians - or Scientists - could solve these `problems` if they were threatened with jail terms or worse - no pension - for failing to deliver on promises on-time.

I have long advocated for a payment-on-results method of reimbursement for these scum. If you have four years to deliver on your promises how can you possibly expect to receive 100% of your promised salary when you have conspicuously failed to perform?

Either that, or we should bring back execution in public office, for the lot of `em...
That'd perk their enthusiasm up >:)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yup. And same reason we won't see any mass-produced full autonomous vehicles before 2050 likely. /forum/images/IoniqForum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Is this sarcasm? Have you seen what Teslas are capable of?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're still not fully autonomous. It's people believing they're capable of more than they are that have caused numerous accidents with them.

People are still pulled over in them for setting them on auto pilot and then moving to the passenger seat, or reading a book, or taking a nap or whatever. I see the reports all the time. YOU CAN'T DO THAT WITH TESLAS! They're not there yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It always amuses me that they have reporters make a road trip who have never used an EV before. No wonder they run into problems. Why aren't they passengers in an EV driven by an experienced EV driver and report on how it should be done?

As for promised delivery dates on technology, I think it's like a half-life value for radiation. Always reducing by half, but never quite making it to zero.

·
Registered
501 Posts
They're still not fully autonomous. It's people believing they're capable of more than they are that have caused numerous accidents with them.

People are still pulled over in them for setting them on auto pilot and then moving to the passenger seat, or reading a book, or taking a nap or whatever. I see the reports all the time. YOU CAN'T DO THAT WITH TESLAS! They're not there yet.
Of course they're not fully autonomous. You however suggest that they won't be until 2050. Not 7 years ago there were no vehicles on the road in the hands of the public that had any self driving capacity. It's hard to fathom it will take 30 more years for cars to become fully autonomous.

Musk already thinks his latest cars have the hardware necessary to drive themselves completely autonomously. They have eyes, ears, and their brain is being trained by humans every day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm confident that electric cars will revolutionize the auto industry within 5 years. I'm not talking about self driving autonomous cars. I'm not talking about transportation as a service instead of car ownership. I'm not talking about cars becoming more like cell phones on wheels. All those things are coming, I don't know when.

But with electric cars it seems obvious to me that the time is now. It will be on going, it wont be over in 5 years. But there will be enough choices, enough consumers, and enough reasons, that it will revolutionized the industry within 5 years.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Of course they're not fully autonomous. You however suggest that they won't be until 2050. Not 7 years ago there were no vehicles on the road in the hands of the public that had any self driving capacity. It's hard to fathom it will take 30 more years for cars to become fully autonomous.

Musk already thinks his latest cars have the hardware necessary to drive themselves completely autonomously. They have eyes, ears, and their brain is being trained by humans every day.
Musk thinks a lot of things.
Mostly through a haze it appears, Maaaan. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

And how long were such systems in development before released on public vehicles.

LKAS is only 6-7 years old on personal vehicles granted, but it sprang from LDWS, which has been available on select personal vehicles for about 20 years. Adaptive Cruise Control has been around for close to 25 years. But these techs are only just starting to be widespread.

Beyond that car manufacturers and R&D boffins have been conceiving of autonomous cars for at least 35 years, since the days of Knight Rider. So if it's taken them 35 years to get this far, I don't think another 20-30 years is much of a stretch to start mass-producing fully autonomous cars. It may even be short-changing it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Dreams are great. But when tech catches up, dream fulfillment is imminent. In the case of autonomous driving, having supercomputers that can crunch terabytes of data in realtime is a crossed threshold, and both the hardware and software are taking big annual leaps. I'd say sensor technology is sufficient (if not really cheap enough yet) for autonomous driving now. Truly "safe" autonomous driving may not be possible until "5G" or higher networks keep all vehicles connected with realtime location, but other than some fringe situations that require human intervention (like sliding into a ditch), we are basically ready to mass market tech integration whose safety is better than average drivers.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Dreams are great. But when tech catches up, dream fulfillment is imminent. In the case of autonomous driving, having supercomputers that can crunch terabytes of data in realtime is a crossed threshold, and both the hardware and software are taking big annual leaps. I'd say sensor technology is sufficient (if not really cheap enough yet) for autonomous driving now. Truly "safe" autonomous driving may not be possible until "5G" or higher networks keep all vehicles connected with realtime location, but other than some fringe situations that require human intervention (like sliding into a ditch), we are basically ready to mass market tech integration whose safety is better than average drivers.
Quite right: There may be no `Terra` in the spelling of `Intelligence`, but it's far closer in `Terror`...

In other words, all the memory and computing power under the sun can't make software that can cater for every eventuality.

Not even in fifty years, although by then we will have a dessicated baseline driven by autonomous transport systems that will force owner-driving out of the equation, making all vehicles equally dumb, making safety simpler through auto-application of speed limits.
You can thank the dumbest-of-the-dumb, aka politicians - for this, because they will believe the arrogance of a lobby that will have us all convinced of the superiority of the machine.

A `fact` which is not now, nor ever has been true. Faster certainly, but infallible? I think not. Just look at the number of drivers killed-while-stationary by falling trees, windswept masonry or other detritus, including crashing aircraft.

And look how many crashed Tesla's there are. I don't call that accident-less...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
A `fact` which is not now, nor ever has been true. Faster certainly, but infallible? I think not. Just look at the number of drivers killed-while-stationary by falling trees, windswept masonry or other detritus, including crashing aircraft.
Or sinkholes, or lightning strikes, or earthquakes, or cyclones, or terrorist attacks. Bizarre post, but this is the most bizarre paragraph. Trying to say human drivers (or stationary drivers) will perform in those situations better? Exactly from where are you quoting the word "infallible"? I've never heard that word to describe any form of transportation from crawling on up, either applying to current transportation or as a futurist statement.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tesla's autopilot has already proven itself to be at least as safe as a human driving under the sanctioned conditions.

As with all things digital, it's development growth is likely on a exponential curve. The change is going to happen so quickly it will likely be just a couple of model years difference.

The Teslas all have the hardware already equipped and that data is being used to train the autopilot. The biggest problem in teaching a car to drive is telling the software when it has made a 'good' or 'bad' decision. Now that there are hundreds of thousands of drivers continuously 'voting' on what looked like a good or bad decision, the ability of that system is just going to go through the roof.

It's then a march of nines issue... something actuaries actually know very well when it comes to cars and accidents.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts