Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone did some range test with the ioniq electric?

If yes, can you share with us the range, the % of battery used for the range, if the heat or AC was activate, etc.
Here in Canada, the car is not available yet :(
Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
The electric has a range of 280km but I haven't seen any testing I don't think in terms of using accessories and what not. Canada has the downfall of some really cold weather and snow which will affect the range as well. Let's just hope the range is understated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that's why I want to see real test drive and not what Hyundai announces!!!
I want to get some feedback from people who actually owns the car and even better, lives in cold countries like mine!!
I know that in Norway, the car is out so people have the chance to buy it.
Let's hope they can come here a share with us their experience.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is what I got from the review posted in a different language. They weren't so specific on range they got and it was in summer anyhow.

Range (stated): 280 km (NEDC) Coverage (test, summer): 250+ km

·
Registered
29 Posts
351.1 Km ? See video.

Have you seen the video from Korea on Youtube ? I am sorry I don't know how to provide a link but I am sure someone will ! Look on youtube for Hyundai Motor IONIQ electric - Real Milage Test

They drive non stop around Hangang city at 50KM/h (31 miles/hour), and end up doing 351kms (219 miles) - all on video.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Anyone did some range test with the ioniq electric?

If yes, can you share with us the range, the % of battery used for the range, if the heat or AC was activate, etc.
Here in Canada, the car is not available yet :(
Thanks

Maybe this is a relevant test for you, in Norway: low temperature (3° C) and highway driving (120 km/h), range 155 km; see here.
---

Reactions: iet

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
This is another test under low temperatures: 5-6° C, average speed around 78 km/h, range 165 km.
----

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I collected the tests I have seen up till now and put them in the scheme below, depending on the two main determinants of the range: temperature and speed.

-------------km/h
-------------40-60-----60-80-----80-100-----100-120
°C --0-5-------X---------X-----------X-----------155-------
-----5-10-------X-------256--------165------------X-------
---10-15-------X-------290----------X-------------X-------
---15-20-------X---------X-----------X-------------X--------
---20-25-------X---------X-----------X-------------X--------
---25-30------351-------X-----------X------------220-----

If more tests are reported I can replace more X's by numbers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This may also be of use:
https://speakev.com/threads/hyundai-ioniq.14982/

One of the people posting on this forum (Badger in Black) owns a Renault/Hyundai dealership so has had plenty of hands on time and has updated the forum quite regular on how it's doing on longer business journeys at various speeds (usually with the climate control set to 20c and heated seats on).

It is UK based though so not as cold as you and everything will be in Miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Yes, actually I included one of his reported trips as the 256 km in the above scheme in the cell for 5-10° C and 60-80 km/h.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Jan,

That gives us some insight as what to expect knowing that the road inclination is also a big factor (at least for some region of Quebec Canada) Still waiting on release date for north America /Canada :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
It means that the Ioniq electric drivetrain is much more efficient than Tesla, imagine the range with the 200 Milles+ EV, they will make in 2018,will probably be over 300 milles.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Yes, there is a huge difference in efficiency between the Ioniq Electric and a Tesla, as Tesla's have a very poor efficiency and the Ioniq has an excellent efficiency: according to the EPA test 136 MPGe for Ioniq Electric versus 104 MPGe for the most efficient Tesla. This means that you use 30% more kWh for the same distance in a Tesla.

See here for the whole list. The first Tesla comes many pages later, so almost every other electric car is more efficient than a Tesla. Partly this will be due to more weight of the larger batteries, but it may also be a consequence of the fact that Tesla seems to mainly follow a brute force strategy relying on large batteries.

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
176 Posts
"The first Tesla comes many pages later, so almost every other electric car is more efficient than a Tesla. Partly this will be due to more weight of the larger batteries, but it may also be a consequence of the fact that Tesla seems to mainly follow a brute force strategy relying on large batteries."

I suspect the main reason is Tesla's "brute force strategy" is aimed at speed. My brother has a 90S and it will 0-60 in 3 seconds. He demonstrated that to me, and then said ... "That is crazy." He will not let anyone drive it fearing they will push the accelerator like other cars and ram into the rear of the vehicle in front, or accelerate through the front glass of a sidewalk store.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I have never understood the need for that sort of acceleration / top speed unless you are racing

in the UK we have a maximum speed limit of 70mph, so why do we need cars that do much more than 100mph

a top speed of around 100-110 means you can get to 70 without a problem and some left over to get out of trouble if needed, a 0-62 time of 9-10 seconds is fine, gives most people the ability to overtake safely

why do you need much more? it just burns more fuel / power

The Ioniq to has got the balance just about right for me

·
Registered
9 Posts
All,
My brand new Ioniq, when I got it from the dealer, only showed an available range of 216 km. I drove about 140 km and the available range decreased more or less accordingly.
The dealer told me something about partial charge and new battery. He told me : give it a full charge and you will see a full range as announced in the datasheet.
This night I fully charged the car but still the car displays only an available range of 215 km. Is something wrong with my car ?

Help will be much appreciated as I have really no experience with EV's.

Best regards,
Jürgen

1 - 20 of 227 Posts