Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the following site, we can simulate different routes with different cars. Last month, the IONIQ EV was added.
We obtain an approximation of the energy consumed for the path as well as what will remain in the battery.
I think it can be a good tool to plan a longer route.
I do not understand why this URL but the site is for greenrace.

GreenRace

I read that the approximations were conservative.
Do you have chance to make comparisons with your real trips to see how it is accurate?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
It strongly depends on temperature. I don't see a parameter for that. Is there some temperature assumed? Which?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It strongly depends on temperature. I don't see a parameter for that. Is there some temperature assumed? Which?
I think when we go in the car détails, we can provide "Accessories power (W)" to simulate température.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It lists 28kWh for the Ioniq, which makes sense. However, it lists 24.2kWh for the VW eGolf, which doesn't make sense. The usable capacity in the eGolf is more like ~21.5kWh. The Nissan Leaf also lists full capacity @ 24kWh, when usable is around 21.3kWh. So, is the Ioniq getting underestimated, or are other cars getting overestimated?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It lists 28kWh for the Ioniq, which makes sense. However, it lists 24.2kWh for the VW eGolf, which doesn't make sense. The usable capacity in the eGolf is more like ~21.5kWh. The Nissan Leaf also lists full capacity @ 24kWh, when usable is around 21.3kWh. So, is the Ioniq getting underestimated, or are other cars getting overestimated?
My concern is the Ioniq. I dont know exactly how they compute the energy consumed. I think they take factors in the details page and variation of elevation of the road.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I think when we go in the car détails, we can provide "Accessories power (W)" to simulate température.
There is nothing about outside temperature there. As you can see in this Electric range thread and in this Google Sheet with collected experiences, the outdoor temperature can make a difference in range up to 50% or more. So as long as you cannot set this temperature or even do not know the assumed temperature, these generated numbers are not very useful; in fact we don't know what they are numbers for: summer range, winter range, extreme summer range, extreme winter range, ...?

Reactions: reald

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
My concern is the Ioniq. I dont know exactly how they compute the energy consumed. I think they take factors in the détails page and variation of elevation of the road.
If someone can choose a very hilly road and compare that with a (flat) road in my environment with the same speed we can find out whether elevation plays a role and how much is the difference.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I simulated my daily commute for the Ioniq, with the same speed and the eco-bar on 0 and an accessories use of 300 W. For the current temperatures here now (about 10 degrees C) the simulation underestimates the performance of the Ioniq with about 10-15% (of the battery capacity used).
That means in the real world you have more battery left than the model predicts. I don't know how that is for other cars.

Reactions: reald

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If someone can choose a very hilly road and compare that with a (flat) road in my environment with the same speed we can find out whether elevation plays a role and how much is the difference.

In the following article, there is a theoretical calculation to estimate the energy required to climb a mountain with an electric vehicle. There is also an experiment to confirm the theoretical calculation.

Calcul de l?énergie requise pour monter? une montagne! | Roulez Electrique

So, with the weight of the ioniq, I made a table with the additional energy required for different height.

I think I have to worry more about the outside temperature rather than the elevation. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I simulated my daily commute for the Ioniq, with the same speed and the eco-bar on 0 and an accessories use of 300 W. For the current temperatures here now (about 10 degrees C) the simulation underestimates the performance of the Ioniq with about 10-15% (of the battery capacity used).
That means in the real world you have more battery left than the model predicts. I don't know how that is for other cars.
I think the simulator parameters are generic. I think the Chain performance traction of the ioniq is better than the one by default. To have a better approximation, I think it should be put at 0.85. There must be a way to determine it but I do not know how.

It is encouraging to know that ioniq does better than simulation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts