Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I believe there are still a lot of people who doesn't really know what the differences are between CCS, Chademo, Tesla, etc.
Please watch this video where everything is really great explained:

[BlueCar1] there is a lot of useful info about charge times, connections and options in the video, its a good place to start if you have questions about charging an EV

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
39 Posts
Thanks nice explainer in one go

So in theory I can buy an adapter to go from a Tesla destination charger to the Ioniq Type 2 plug. I have not found what I would need very easily.

Im assuming its this one but am not sure. Type 1 J1772 to Type 2 (Mennekes) Tesla Adaptor Cable (1m)

I would like to get something like this as where I'm from on the west cost of Australia there are a lot more places with Tesla destination charges, especially north of Perth, hotels and such that would make travelling around the countryside a lot easier. I know I would't hit 22kw here though

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you say " the white one we can use for free " is that no connection charge, or no charge for the electricity?

·
Registered
538 Posts
this is a Tesla destination in U.K. the white one we can use for free, its type 2 tethered plug goes straight into Ioniq!
Have you had success with this?
I have only tried to use one white Tesla point and could not get it to work. I put up a thread many moons ago asking the same question and did not get any replies.

·
Registered
439 Posts
yes I plugged in to this tesla white, and it started charging, only stayed about half an hour (but it was charging constantly) as I was meeting family 2 miles up the road at a polar fast charger.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just as an add on for those not familar with Tesla, its only the "Destination chargers" we can use and then only the white one, I think max charge is 7kwh, unfortuatley the Tesla superchargers you see on motorway survices are only for Tesla vehicles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A related question -- I see that on the 2020 models the charging power is shown on the gauge. Any way to see this on the previous models?
I use an OBD dongle and the EVNotify app, and it shows the charging rate, battery voltage and current, among other things.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks nice explainer in one go

So in theory I can buy an adapter to go from a Tesla destination charger to the Ioniq Type 2 plug. I have not found what I would need very easily.

Im assuming its this one but am not sure. Type 1 J1772 to Type 2 (Mennekes) Tesla Adaptor Cable (1m)

I would like to get something like this as where I'm from on the west cost of Australia there are a lot more places with Tesla destination charges, especially north of Perth, hotels and such that would make travelling around the countryside a lot easier. I know I would't hit 22kw here though

View attachment 31901

Did you manage to get that cable? I see another one here, I too am in the same boat, about to buy the Ioniq 28 however i would like to get a cable that will connect to the destinaton chargers that are around the country here in OZ.

How did you go?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
39 Posts
Did you manage to get that cable? I see another one here, I too am in the same boat, about to buy the Ioniq 28 however i would like to get a cable that will connect to the destinaton chargers that are around the country here in OZ.

How did you go?

No haven't got the cable yet as the car is only reaching port tomorrow :) Still undecided to actually get the car given the times but going to drive down to the port and see if I can spot it :sneaky:
That converter would be helpful but would rather one the goes directly to the car rather than through the included charger. Still confused by what I would actually need on country treks :unsure:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Don't need in U.K. as tesla destination chargers are type 2 tethered plug,(and free to use!) but does seem a bit expensive for 2 plugs and 1mtr of cable!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts