Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the math to figure out what the tipping point is of the cost of electricity vs. gas for this car? Obviously if electricity were to become much more expensive (and conversely gas less expensive) than it currently is then, purely from an economics standpoint, it would make sense to stop charging the car and only use the gas engine.

I'm sure there's a formula out there showing what the corresponding gas cost is for electricity rates, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Obviously this changes with each car as well, as some plug ins are more electrically efficient and gas efficient than others, so even finding a formula throughout all of the internet this value would need to be tailored to each individual car.

I apologize if this question has been posted elsewhere, an attempted search showed nothing but sometimes finding the right keyword can be tricky. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
welcome to the forum @powerwolve

please add you location to your profile (see https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/17465-how-update-your-location.html )

have a look at the posst powerwolve I posted a spreadsheet where you can enter gas / electric prices and your commute and get an idea of running costs see https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-hyundai-ioniq-general-discussion/30644-spreadsheet-campare-cost-per-mile-ev-phev-hev.html

there are no macros in the sheet, just basic formula's so safe, but feel free to scan with a security package of your choice

·
Registered
351 Posts
Use this chart to compare the cost to drive a gas car vs the cost to drive an electric car.

https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/costs.pdf

If you have a phev then you will need to consider how often you drive it on electric so your daily driving pattern will affect your break even point.

Also, here is a thread where the economies of gas vs electric led to a lively discussion:

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-hyundai-ioniq-general-discussion/985-phev-doesnt-make-sense-many-markets.html

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV SE
13 Posts
Regarding the tipping point, the calculation is straightforward when using the sticker numbers and your electric cost including all charges and charger inefficiency. I'm in the US so I'll use miles. My electric cost at home is $0.28/kWh which includes generation, transmission, distribution, and all other per kWh charges (Souther CA) from the bill. The charger inefficiency means I draw 1.5kW for every 1.2kW into my PHEV so that's a factor of 1.25 (results are from the bill, not measured, and matches other forum posts on charger efficiency). Thus my actual cost is .28 * 1/0.8 = $0.35 per kWh. Yuck.

Electric cost per gallon = (kWh/mi) * ($/kWh) * (mi/gallon) which multiplied out gives $/gallon electric equivalent which is directly comparable to a gas station price of $/gallon

kWh/mi is from my sticker is 28/100
mi/gal is from my sticker and thats 100/1.9
$/kWh from above is 0.35.

So, my EV mode cost is 28/100 * 0.35 * 100/1.9 = $5.15 / gallon

Today the $/gallon of gas is averages $2.953 in my area and under $2 average in the U.S. So I'm paying close to double to go a mile on EV vs. gas. Gas is cheaper but no eco friendly.

SInce I can charge for free at work (currently working from home during COVID crisis), I'll just leave the car in Auto mode and charge at work which should get me 105 mpg for commuting the 21 miles roundtrip.

Why did I get a PHEV? I really like the car over a Civic, the gas mileage is great for some 900 mile trips I do a few times a year, I like the quiet EV mode around town and at stop lights, and CA is spread out without a lot of charging stations yet. It's my stopgap for the next 5 years. I have a condo and can't put solar panels up but with a 1kW panel setup (good sun here so 10kWh a day mostly) I'd have free electric but for long trips.

Gas prices change a lot more often than my electric, so I'll watch gas prices in the future and can charge at home when they go above $5. Or, maybe I get another 10kWh battery compatible with the Ioniq PHEV and charge that up at work too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts