Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Limited AWD Digital Teal MY2022
120 Posts
.... This time when I pressed I was told that CP doesn't manage the stations and I'd have to talk to the company that does. I asked him to look up who that would be and it turned out it was the city, this small town had provided and managed those CP chargers. So I called the city and spoke to someone in the planning and public works department ... Who knows what will come of it but I'd just say I like the EA model a lot better where they own the stations and really do try to help when a station is down.
This seems like a situation where it might help to apply semi-permanent "For Service Call" stickers to each charger, with the name and phone number of the owning/responsible company/agency written with a Sharpie, or printed if you have enough motivation to make it look quasi-official.

·
Registered
90 Posts
EA chargers (150KW+) use liquid cooling of the lines (my understanding) and thus will get very heavy if the lead gets longer.
That said, maybe it will make sense for all the car companies to agree on charge port locations - front middle/rear middle/etc. Or charger companies set it up just like the gas stations and make them all pull through
That's absolutely the reason, yeah. Also purely efficiency - the gauge of wire used underground up into the dispenser is way beefier. The human-scale lead represents pretty significant efficiency loss at 350A, even more so if you were to make it longer.

Any of those solutions would work, but you could also just pick the one or two layouts that universally work with what's on the market. A dispenser centered on the back of a perpendicular spot, with a lead on either side, checks all the boxes: any car can head-in or back-in and reach one of the two leads, AND NEITHER of the two leads can reach another spot, unless it's directly across an aisle or something, in which case the only issue is confusion at whether two cars can simultaneously charge.

Like, this station works perfectly in all scenarios, with the one issue of ambiguity if you don't understand the two leads. And bonus, it's possible you might be able to pull in at the back non-EV spot and start charging if someone else has finished and is idling there in the spot.
Cloud Sky Green Product Public space

THIS station, on the other hand, is a damn nightmare:
Cloud Product Sky Telephony Gas pump

An EV6/I5 literally cannot charge at the closest pedestal facing away from us, UNLESS they're in the spot designated for the chademo pedestal facing us. Head in, they'd have to pull over the line for the left-hand lead to reach the back-right charge port, and tail-in, the right-hand lead won't reach all the way across the rear end.

And then a Leaf, I don't even know what you do! Maybe if you nose-left into the spot, that lead reaches? But I think the only practical way to charge here is to pull in half way, leave your ass end hanging out into the travel lane, and THEN the chademo lead will reach the center of your hood.

Yet, this is like the most common EA station design. It's absolutely bonkers.

The fundamental fault with EA's station design is that they take the philosophy that any car should be able to charge at at least two dispensers. But when most stations are 4 dispensers, that makes 50% of a station useless for any given car, which goes right to **** considering one or two of them are always some level of broken AND they're in extremely high demand now that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, while EVs continue to proliferate. The ONLY solution is to adopt the philosophy that every car should be able to charge at every dispenser (perhaps with the reasonable exception of Chademo, though I'll allow that every chademo car should CERTAINLY be able to charge at the one chademo dispenser, which apparently itself seems too much to ask).

Tesla's Supercharger sites are also a total rodeo in some locations now, but at least they're not shooting themselves in the foot designing-in forced underutilization.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lately I am frequently waiting to charge (CT). Lots of new to EV drivers looking to avoid the gas prices don't know much about the vehicles they are driving (charging speeds vs % of Battery, 150 vs 350KW, chargers only charging 1 vehicle despite 2 handles). My last EA visit had every charger in use and 2 EV's waiting. A Kona was using a 350KW for a full charge, as well as a I3, a 2nd Kona, and Leaf also full charging. This will only get worse once Ford Lightnings (Logistically challenging due to size), Toyota/Subaru EV's (Charge Slow).

View attachment 43495 View attachment 43496
I live a 1/2 mile from the e/a chargers they are never in use there are 10 chargers in a row not tandem like in the above picture and i believe they are all 150 chargers not 350 and it takes about 20 min to charge to 80%. Now where I live I think most people will charge at home unless its free at the pumps

·
Registered
171 Posts
why would you do that?
Why would you show up, plug in, and walk away without starting a session?

For the same reason I have seen a Tesla drive up and park in a CSS1 spot then walk away without even plugging in a cable. No attempt at even plugging in. They parked there because it was “EV parking” and it was close to the entrance of the Walmart in an otherwise crowded parking.

If the car was plugged in but no session was started then it might appear to the casual passerby like that coveted near entrance parking was being used legitimately.

There are lots of Adam Henrys in the world and some drive EVs too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There are lots of Adam Henrys in the world and some drive EVs too.
This. I don't think I've ever personally seen it at a DCFC spot, probably because most of those are in the back corner of the parking lot, not the prime spaces. But I see it REGULARLY at AC charging spots when a parking lot gets full: cars will use the "EV parking spot" but they don't actually need to charge so they don't even bother plugging in.

Worried about getting a ticket for "not actively charging"? Plug in and don't start a session.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The answer is, of course, improved infrastructure. The why, when and how, is above my pay grade. And I recall waiting in line in circa 1975 for gasoline {and we will see this again with the current King in Office} In the end, when you need to charge, you have to charge- and if you have to wait, that is just where we are along the road to making EVs 'normal' for all.
I never understood your line of reasoning that seems prevalent in the low income / rural areas. Without getting into broad politics, nevermind the fact that Biden and his Democrat predecessors in the past have constantly tried to push renewable energy, incentivize EVs, etc. and you are accusing Biden is acting like a king and fault him for waiting in line to charge? WTF is this? Why do you do this? It's just lazy and lacks critical thinking on a cringe level.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I never understood your line of reasoning that seems prevalent in the low income / rural areas. Without getting into broad politics, nevermind the fact that Biden and his Democrat predecessors in the past have constantly tried to push renewable energy, incentivize EVs, etc. and you are accusing Biden is acting like a king and fault him for waiting in line to charge? WTF is this? Why do you do this? It's just lazy and lacks critical thinking on a cringe level.
you must realize people for the most part only care about themselves im not cynical im a realist

·
Registered
678 Posts
dont you get charged if your pluged in and not charging?
Yes that is true. But I don't care if they get charged, I care that I am not not able to charge my car because someone is a Dolt.
You wouldn't see this happen at a Gas station.
I NOT for touching someone elses stuff, but if you are going to be ignorant of other people and stop them from using/fueling their vehicle, then I am all for trying to unplug it in hopes to set off the alarm/Cell ping for the person to come out. Then I would give them a simple ear full about being considerate of others.........because the next person may not be so nice about it.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts