Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I am frequently waiting to charge (CT). Lots of new to EV drivers looking to avoid the gas prices don't know much about the vehicles they are driving (charging speeds vs % of Battery, 150 vs 350KW, chargers only charging 1 vehicle despite 2 handles). My last EA visit had every charger in use and 2 EV's waiting. A Kona was using a 350KW for a full charge, as well as a I3, a 2nd Kona, and Leaf also full charging. This will only get worse once Ford Lightnings (Logistically challenging due to size), Toyota/Subaru EV's (Charge Slow).

Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
325 Posts
If they have to charge, they have to charge.
Should they use 350KW charger? If that was only one open at the time? Sure.. I plug mine in 150KW charger - as matter of fact, NEVER charged on 350KW - and LONGEST session was to go from 14% to 90% and that was only for 23 min. I don't think 350KW charger would have done MUCH better (maybe couple of minutes faster but not worth agonizing over and looking at the owners who are plugged into 350KW chargers with evil eyes IMHO).

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
201 Posts
The answer is, of course, improved infrastructure. The why, when and how, is above my pay grade. And I recall waiting in line in circa 1975 for gasoline {and we will see this again with the current King in Office} In the end, when you need to charge, you have to charge- and if you have to wait, that is just where we are along the road to making EVs 'normal' for all.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Digitial Teal
109 Posts
Lately I am frequently waiting to charge (CT). Lots of new to EV drivers looking to avoid the gas prices don't know much about the vehicles they are driving (charging speeds vs % of Battery, 150 vs 350KW, chargers only charging 1 vehicle despite 2 handles). My last EA visit had every charger in use and 2 EV's waiting. A Kona was using a 350KW for a full charge, as well as a I3, a 2nd Kona, and Leaf also full charging. This will only get worse once Ford Lightnings (Logistically challenging due to size), Toyota/Subaru EV's (Charge Slow).

View attachment 43495 View attachment 43496
Looks like we use the same local charger. When I purchased mine the plan was to charge exclusively for free at this station. Most of the time it's packed since it's on a busy route from NYC to Boston. Also, the layout of this station isn't conducive to the placement of our charging port. Once all these giant electric pickups start making their way out it's gonna make squeezing in very difficult at these already tight spots. I was parked next to a Rivian once and it was almost impossible to squeeze out my door. I don't bother going here anymore just to spare myself the headache. But, if you've gotta charge, you gotta charge!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looks like we use the same local charger. When I purchased mine the plan was to charge exclusively for free at this station. Most of the time it's packed since it's on a busy route from NYC to Boston. Also, the layout of this station isn't conducive to the placement of our charging port. Once all these giant electric pickups start making their way out it's gonna make squeezing in very difficult at these already tight spots. I was parked next to a Rivian once and it was almost impossible to squeeze out my door. I don't bother going here anymore just to spare myself the headache. But, if you've gotta charge, you gotta charge!
I'm also in CT. Don't have an I5 yet but have one on order... On account of not having access to home charging I'll probably have to rely on the EA station nearest to me. Is there anything about the various CT charging stations I should be aware of? I'd probably be charging in the evenings, hopefully usage wouldn't be super high.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm also in CT. Don't have an I5 yet but have one on order... On account of not having access to home charging I'll probably have to rely on the EA station nearest to me. Is there anything about the various CT charging stations I should be aware of? I'd probably be charging in the evenings, hopefully usage wouldn't be super high.
For what it's worth, the 3 EA stations in CT I've used so far are in North Haven (Universal Drive), Manchester Walmart and Waterford Commons. So far no issues with availability, although the Waterford facility was quite busy, especially for a Monday mid-morning. Once a week we drive through Auburn Mass. and stop at the EA in the Mall and walk to Starbucks while we fast charge, that one's never busy.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
750 Posts
If they have to charge, they have to charge.
Should they use 350KW charger? If that was only one open at the time? Sure.. I plug mine in 150KW charger - as matter of fact, NEVER charged on 350KW - and LONGEST session was to go from 14% to 90% and that was only for 23 min. I don't think 350KW charger would have done MUCH better (maybe couple of minutes faster but not worth agonizing over and looking at the owners who are plugged into 350KW chargers with evil eyes IMHO).
This, though when road tripping it is nice to get out a bit sooner - but it’s maybe 20 minute vs the 23 lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can see the appeal of Tesla and all the places you can charge up.
I was going to take a trip through a little more remote area of AZ. Phoenix to Wickenberg to Prescott.
Tesla has super chargers in Wickenberg and Prescott. As far as I can see there are only two level 2 charge point chargers with charging speeds of 6.6 kw/hr for the entire route. EA really needs to step up their game.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can see the appeal of Tesla and all the places you can charge up.
I was going to take a trip through a little more remote area of AZ. Phoenix to Wickenberg to Prescott.
Tesla has super chargers in Wickenberg and Prescott. As far as I can see there are only two level 2 charge point chargers with charging speeds of 6.6 kw/hr for the entire route. EA really needs to step up their game.
I would not consider Wickenberg or Prescott as being very remote. But wow! Looking at PlugShare there is only one DCFC, if 28 kW can be considered fast, between the two cities. There is a comment on the 28 kW DC charger in Wickenberg from last week that says it all “pretty slow but not many choices out here.” Looks like you’d pretty much have to plan an overnight in Prescott at one of the several hotels that have J-1772 charging to make that trip work.

Good thing you are not planning on a day trip to or through Bisbee, Douglas, Stafford or anywhere off the freeway in the Hopi or Navajo reservations.

Looking at this got me wondering about some other day trips. Looks like it is just possible starting with 90% charge to do a day trip to Kitt Peak National Observatory from the family house. At least if things look dicy charge wise, there are fast chargers in Tucson that could be used to fill up on the way back if A Better Route Planner is wrong.

·
Premium Member
'22 Ioniq 5 SE RWD (formerly '21 Ioniq PHEV SEL)
176 Posts
Simple EA guideline suggestions?

-If there are other chargers available, CCS cars please don't use the one with Chademo. If there are no other working chargers available, then by all means go for it.
-If your vehicle cannot charge at greater than 150 kW, please don't use a 350 kW rated charger if there are others available. If there are no other working chargers available, then by all means go for it.
-If the EA station sucks horribly like most do, then use whatever charger will work. Give a friendly warning to other drivers about your experiences and an ETA for your charge to complete.
-Please don't use chargers clearly designated for a different space. IE, use the space that the charger screen directly faces. This creates confusion when plugging in a car in a weird spot.
-Please move your car immediately upon completion of charging. There are usually other non-charging parking spaces around if you are not prepared to leave the area yet.
-Please consider charging to no more than you realistically need above 80% if there are other cars waiting.
-If you are more experienced with DCFC than other newcomers, consider being polite and helpful to aid them in learning about and charging their car, whatever kind it may be. Even / especially if they are doing it all wrong. Many people are quite new to this and the more people that get hip to how this works, the faster it will go for everyone.
-Call EA daily and yell at them for such poor service.

Other ideas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
“Please don't use chargers clearly designated for a different space. IE, use the space that the charger screen directly faces. This creates confusion when plugging in a car in a weird spot.”

Not all chargers are situated to reach the charge port this way.
IE, the ones that have 2 chargers side by side along the side of the car.
especialy when one is 150 max and the other 350.
Thats the EV chargers placement and spec constraint issue.

in a perfect world all chargers would be at the front/rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
313 Posts
Just charge at night. I've never seen a full station at night thus far since I had my car. I'm not talking about late, I'm talking about 9pm after sunset. Might be different within a big city though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
“Please don't use chargers clearly designated for a different space. IE, use the space that the charger screen directly faces. This creates confusion when plugging in a car in a weird spot.”

Not all chargers are situated to reach the charge port this way.
IE, the ones that have 2 chargers side by side along the side of the car.
especialy when one is 150 max and the other 350.
Thats the EV chargers placement and spec constraint issue.

in a perfect world all chargers would be at the front/rear of the vehicle.
The EA stations at the Walmart close to me do not have cables long enough to reach. There are time when it is necessary to use the other side. Sorry for you confusion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yea I wish the cords were a little longer, at this target the only way 3 I5's can charge is the one on the left of this pic had to back in at a angle closer to the middle one to get the cord to reach (after the pic was taken)
Gray 3FER!!
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Sky

·
Registered
313 Posts
yea I wish the cords were a little longer, at this target the only way 3 I5's can charge is the one on the left of this pic had to back in at a angle closer to the middle one to get the cord to reach (after the pic was taken)
Gray 3FER!!
View attachment 43511
What a weird placement. They should have just placed it in the no parking area like they did with the other two.

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
201 Posts
What a weird placement. They should have just placed it in the no parking area like they did with the other two.
Given the truism I RARELY use public chargers-- this is the first Image I ahev seen where the chargers are 'out in the parking space' and not ont he sidewalk. Is one style more common than another? And I agree, there should be a standard agreement to put charge ports only fore and aft, most preferable in the center of the EV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Given the truism I RARELY use public chargers-- this is the first Image I ahev seen where the chargers are 'out in the parking space' and not ont he sidewalk. Is one style more common than another? And I agree, there should be a standard agreement to put charge ports only fore and aft, most preferable in the center of the EV.
Here in LA / SoCal
All the Electrify America ones, Charge point, etc I've seen are in a retail parking lots, Target, Walmart, Mall... the only street side ones I've seen are "Flo" brand ones, and and those are only level 2 slow chargers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've seen both ways and the only assumption I can think of is where and how much space they are able to get. This is for just Electrify America. If it's along the curb, then it's typically one station per parking spot with the chargers on the curb assuming there is enough space, if not then it's in between parking spots. If it's in the middle of the parking lot, then it's always in between parking spots. I've seen all 3 versions I mentioned. The picture posted by @n_dox is a new layout to me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts