Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the car and while driving during winter (around -4 to 2 degrees Celsius) I noticed that the car never gets its water temperature to 90 degrees even after driving a lot.
I had a diesel car before this hybrid and even this car would’ve reached 90 degrees after 20-25 minutes of having the engine running.

Also, after it reaches around 50 it already starts to disengage the engine and use the hybrid system.

Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
First of all, how do you know it never reach 90C?

My experience is if I drive on highway the temp gauge went to one slot below half, as usual in the summer, in about 10/15 minutes. However, if I drive on local road it would take quite a while to reach that level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if it reaches the middle, that should mean 90 degrees, like in any car, at least in Europe.
Mine also stays one line below the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
My gauge reaches half way ( normal ) after about 10 minutes ( guessing ) but it mostly alternates between EV and ICE so it's difficult to put an exact figure on it . Takes no longer to warm up than my previous diesel car . One thing you will notice is that the temperature cools down pretty quickly when in EV mode when cold . What part of the UK are you situated ? I'm guessing up North because ambient temperatures you mention are not typical of the temperatures in my location ( this winter at least ) .
Have you got the Hybrid or PHEV ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have a Plug in Hybrid and are running in electric mode, then in cold weather the engine will only run at fast tickover until the heater has warmed the inside of the car, then it will turn off until more heat is needed. It may not reach "normal" operating temperatures.

If you run in Hybrid mode it will reach "normal" temperature.

In the summer the engine may not run at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts