Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Connecticut, US. I have another set of winter tires (Michelin X-ice XI-3) for the winter. My car has about 67,500 miles on it, which about 47,000 mile was on the original Michelin Energy Saver A/S all seasons tires. These original tires are worn out and I need a new set of tires soon.

The only problem with the EnergySaver A/S is that it life is short, less than 50,000 miles in my case. So, it is about time to change it out and I have some questions.

1.Should I looking for summer tires? Will it yield better MPG and thread life than the EnergySaver A/S? (P.S. don’t worry I am not stupid enough to use them in winter)

2.I heard some folks in the UK talked about Dunlop blue response, but I can’t find it here in the US. Does anyone know the US name for it?

3.Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
68 Posts
All Seasons tires is like taking the worst of summer tires and the worst of snow tires, and combining them. In Norway we don't even sell all-season tires anymore. If you already have proper snow tires, you should go with a set of proper summer tires IMO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Summer tires in general tend to be more "sticky". They are usually designed to maximize grip on dry road conditions, so that will possibly have a negative impact on MPG.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
177 Posts
I live in Connecticut, US. I have another set of winter tires (Michelin X-ice XI-3) for the winter. My car has about 67,500 miles on it, which about 47,000 mile was on the original Michelin Energy Saver A/S all seasons tires. These original tires are worn out and I need a new set of tires soon.

The only problem with the EnergySaver A/S is that it life is short, less than 50,000 miles in my case. So, it is about time to change it out and I have some questions.

1.Should I looking for summer tires? Will it yield better MPG and thread life than the EnergySaver A/S? (P.S. don’t worry I am not stupid enough to use them in winter)

2.I heard some folks in the UK talked about Dunlop blue response, but I can’t find it here in the US. Does anyone know the US name for it?

3.Any recommendations?

3.Any recommendations?
I have those energy savers as well and in spring, summer and fall, they're perfect for me. Smooth with great mileage. I switch to Winters around mid-November and remove in April. Is there a reason you would not want to continue as some have suggested? I think it the best of both worlds. In Connecticut, you can probably install winters in December and remove in March (3 months) Don't forget your mileage will suffer a bit with summer tires as well.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
398 Posts

3.Any recommendations?
Come now, 50,000 miles from a set of tyres is really good, We don't tend to rotate tyres here in the UK, my rear ones have 5mm of tread left, while the fronts are on 2.5mm at 28,000 miles so the front ones will be gone well before 40,000, the rears should make 60,000 to 70,000, by which time I'll need another set of fronts as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From actual tests and even advertisements I’ve seen, the energy season all seasons actually get better mpg than the energy saver summer tires. That’s just comparing the same line up. That’s the main reason I never switched to summer tires. Summer tires have better handling on dry roads, but I don’t drive like a maniac and summer tires are apparently better in rain, but it never rains during summer time here in Portland

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I was misled by the name “Summer Tires”. The logic was, I already have a set of winter tires why do I need a set of all season tires. Would it be better with a set of summer tires?

Now I think I’ve got it right, the summer tires are designed for speed and has a short thread life.

The reason I don’t like the energy Saver A/S is because of its life, as I said my set worn out less than 50,000 miles. Another reason is Michelin discontinued the 15”. Now I’m looking at Continental Truecontract Tour with 80,000 miles warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think I was misled by the name “Summer Tires”. The logic was, I already have a set of winter tires why do I need a set of all season tires. Would it be better with a set of summer tires?

Now I think I’ve got it right, the summer tires are designed for speed and has a short thread life.

The reason I don’t like the energy Saver A/S is because of its life, as I said my set worn out less than 50,000 miles. Another reason is Michelin discontinued the 15”. Now I’m looking at Continental Truecontract Tour with 80,000 miles warranty.

View attachment 33515
Summer tires if you prefer performance over gas mileage. All season tires should technically be called spring summer fall tires. They suck in winter. I’m looking at getting some new eco tires too. Was thinking of trying Bridgestone Ecopia tires after I get winter tires taken off but no one on this forum has reviewed them

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have over 100k miles on my Ioniq SEL, at around 75k, I put a set of Goodyear Viva 3 AS tires on it. The max cold inflation pressure for the tire is 55 PSI, I run my fronts at 42 and the rear tires at 39. Say what you want about the psi I'm running but it works for me. The tires provide a good ride with similar mpg to the original Michelin tires that came on it. As for performance, I don't really care much about having a tire that can keep my Ioniq stuck to the road like a formula 1 race car. I don't drive like that in my fuel sipping hybrid. My location is flat with very few turns on my normal drive to/from work and the winters usually have little or no snow. The tires are $57 compared to more than double the cost and less life for the Michelin tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts