Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I arrived at the Victoriastadion sports facility in Lund, Sweden.

There's a destination charger for two vehicles. One of the bays was free, while the other was occupied by a white Tesla. However, I noticed that the Tesla wasn't charging. It had just been parked there without being hooked up to the charger. While I connected my own car, the Tesla driver - a young woman - arrived to pick up her car.

I usually don't seek conflict with other people, but I couldn't help asking her that since she wasn't charging, why not park in another space?

She said "Why? There are two spaces at the charger."

"Yes", I said, "but there are more than just two electric cars in this town."

She snorted at me, entered her car and drove away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
350 Posts
This morning I arrived at the Victoriastadion sports facility in Lund, Sweden.

There's a destination charger for two vehicles. One of the bays was free, while the other was occupied by a white Tesla. However, I noticed that the Tesla wasn't charging. It had just been parked there without being hooked up to the charger. While I connected my own car, the Tesla driver - a young woman - arrived to pick up her car.

I usually don't seek conflict with other people, but I couldn't help asking her that since she wasn't charging, why not park in another space?

She said "Why? There are two spaces at the charger."

"Yes", I said, "but there are more than just two electric cars in this town."

She snorted at me, entered her car and drove away. :rolleyes:
Careful where you go on this one people.
There are some very touchy member's on this forum 😉😉 :D

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
51 Posts
So much like using a disabled parking when your in great shape!
...self-centred...

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
I'm happy to say that Ontario's recent anti-ICE'ing bill also applies its fines to EVs that are blocking a charger but not plugged in. Other jurisdictions should follow suit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To make it even more complicated (social) situation: In Finland one of the most common chargers are Fortum Charge and Drive stations. The fast chargers have two cables for fast charging (CCD and Chademo) but only one can be used at the same time.
I discovered this when parking by a Leaf with a lady on board trying desperately reach 100%, she had a long way to travel and night was coming, and the last percentages took ages...finally she gave up as a polite gesture.

Driving a Leaf does not make you stupid.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
116 Posts
andersmo, I think you did the right thing, as long as you were polite and made an effort to come across as very unthreatening.

She may change her behaviour as a result of this interaction, in order to avoid this situation again, or because she reflects and realize you were right.

Doing one dumb thing doesn't make you stupid, though.

Neither is getting defensive and refusing to admit you are wrong. We are psychologically hardwired to resist criticism like this, our brains react the same way as when we are under physical attack and so we get defensive.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
882 Posts
This compares to a recent incident I had. I arrived at a J1772 L2 charger on low SoC with a long way still to go, to find a M3 owner parking and getting ready to charge. A charger they would have had to use the M3 J1772 --> Tesla adaptor to get to work. I also noticed that in the very next park over, there was an unused and free vend destination charger. I jumped out and ask if minded moving over one spot and use the Tesla destination charger so I could access and use the J1772 charger. After some discussion, they did move, but clearly they thought I'd somehow been unreasonable in my request. Even though I couldn't have been more polite in the way I asked. I just don't think that may people think further than themselves most of the time. I very sad state of affairs.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
andersmo, I think you did the right thing, as long as you were polite and made an effort to come across as very unthreatening.
I'm always polite, except perhaps when I get unsolicited phone calls from fraudsters or really annoying salespeople...

I'm not surprised that drivers of fossil cars sometimes block chargers by parking in front of them. That happens all the time, signs or no signs. But you would think that a driver of an electric car should know better. Especially since there were plenty of plain old parking spaces free...

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited
40 Posts
I'm always polite, except perhaps when I get unsolicited phone calls from fraudsters or really annoying salespeople...

I'm not surprised that drivers of fossil cars sometimes block chargers by parking in front of them. That happens all the time, signs or no signs. But you would think that a driver of an electric car should know better. Especially since there were plenty of plain old parking spaces free...
There are quite a few Tesla "superfans" who think that unless you're driving a Tesla, you're unworthy (to put it lightly). It doesn't matter if it's another EV. There was an article about such toxic superfans just recently. Tesla even shutdown their own forum last month, although it's unclear if it's due to the trolls or the superfans. More than likely the former.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts