Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing them mentioned in various online articles.

I’m presuming that if you have your keyfob in one of these pouches, that you need to unlock the doors by touching the button on the door handle?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a new Ioniq last week, and raised this matter with the salesman. He said not to bother. While you can lock/unlock from quite a distance, as is the norm, the key has to be very close to the car for the door button to work. Specially designed in that way, makes it very hard to key clone and steal your car. As he pointed out, who would go to the bother anyway to steal an Ioniq? Its the high end BMW and Audi cars the thieves are after. In any case, those pouches don't seem to work for long, as the foil lining wears they stop being effective Faraday cages and the key starts operating the car despite being in the pouch.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I keep seeing them mentioned in various online articles.

I’m presuming that if you have your keyfob in one of these pouches, that you need to unlock the doors by touching the button on the door handle?

Thanks.
No, your presumption is wrong. A pouch like that shields the key fob from transmitting radio waves that activate the door handle button. You’d have to remove it from the pouch to open the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, your presumption is wrong. A pouch like that shields the key fob from transmitting radio waves that activate the door handle button. You’d have to remove it from the pouch to open the car.
Gotcha.

So it’s a case of store the keys in the pouch while at home and remove them when going out in the car?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Automotive proximity keys use an encrypted rolling code similar to a modern garage door opener. You can't just copy the frequency like in the movies and if you try it too many times, the system would simply lock you out. The keys are paired to the vehicle and if for instance, you lost a key, you can have the dealer recode your existing key so the lost key will not work. Even if a would be thief would use the physical key, the alarm will still sound and the ignition will still be locked.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Unlike several US manufacturers, Hyundai, the Japanese and European cars need their proximity key quite close to be able to work. In a Dodge for instance, you could be 10-20 feet a way at a street cafe and some would be thief could open your door and steal your contents and could even drive your car several feet before the key is out of range. I'm sure the 2019 Dodge models are more secure now but they weren't 10 years ago. This is probably why a lot of those Faraday cage pouches still exist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a couple of faraday pouches from Amazon- worked well for a week and then I could open the car with the key in the pouch. Waste of money. Just don’t leave the key near the front door and it will be much harder for a potential thief to clone it in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts