Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is it possible to disable the blue charge indicator LEDs that display/flash when charging? Just got a home charger installed, which from reading forums I understand can be a target for vandals (eggs and bbq sauce mostly it seems), and realised that when charging at night, the charge indicator lights in the car would be screaming to every miscreant that walks by that it's an electric car with a cable plugged in. Seeing those videos of the way some people treat Teslas, I'd like to avoid pointing out it's an EV as much as possible (although that grill makes that damn near impossible...).

If not, I'll have to cover them up physically but thought I'd check first to see if there's a setting that can disable them.

Cheers,

Del

Edit: I have the 38kwh Ioniq, if that makes a difference with settings etc

·
Registered
133 Posts
No way that I know of, but wouldn't the huge cable hanging from it be a better indication for would be vandals ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Potentially but the back of the car is right next to the house where there isn't much lighting and where some bins live. For people just walking by, I doubt they'd notice, certainly not as much as 2 big blue lights with one flashing.

The drive is perpendicular to the main road (like a T) so the two options are to:

1) Reverse the car in to obscure the charging port and cable head but have the lights showing or;
2) Drive straight in and have the cable visibly run to the end of the drive with the car's port being right next to the pavement

Option 1 hides the cable much better than 2 and as I'll only be charging at night, the biggest issue is certainly the blue lights. I suspect I'll have to physically cover them up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think that's more or less what I'd do in your circumstances. I generally keep a (yellow in fact) microfibre cloth inside - for wiping off fingerprints and the like. Such a thing carefully placed, but looking as if casually thrown, would do the trick I guess.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think that's more or less what I'd do in your circumstances. I generally keep a (yellow in fact) microfibre cloth inside - for wiping off fingerprints and the like. Such a thing carefully placed, but looking as if casually thrown, would do the trick I guess.
If the vandal doesn't spot the cable running to the car then surely the vandal wouldn't notice if the cloth is deliberately placed...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with the op here, this should be a configurable setting in the software to switch this feature on or off, or even adjust the brightness. The juice net app on my phone tells me when the cars charged, so for me this feature is pointless.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just remember that these blue leds have an additional function: when the middle one is flashing and the two other turned off - this indicates a precaution that the Aux. Battery Saver+ is active and high voltage is live under the hood.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just remember that these blue leds have an additional function: when the middle one is flashing and the two other turned off - this indicates a precaution that the Aux. Battery Saver+ is active and high voltage is live under the hood.
Or that the charging is scheduled and not active before scheduled time.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Isn't there an electrical lock on the cable while charging?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apologies for the bump, but do you know if there was a way to disable it in the end?

I'm in a similar position as @delenda in that I don't really want to be broadcasting (or draw attention) from anyone walking past. Front of the car is parked at an angle on purpose so the charger is hidden. Just a nice little beacon at the front now!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
69 Posts
We have this issue as well and use a cloth as the blue blinking lights up the whole carport on each flash and is visible across the street whereas the cable is completely shrouded in darkness otherwise. We have had opportune thieves steal from the front of our house in the past. Clothe doubles as the dash fingerprint remover and lives in the sunglass holder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The thing that annoys me about these lights is not when charging and the lights flashing, it is their reflection half way up the windscreen whilst driving during the day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The thing that annoys me about these lights is not when charging and the lights flashing, it is their reflection half way up the windscreen whilst driving during the day.
What do you mean? The lights are not on when the car is not charging.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts