Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple stupid questions.. it happens from time to time :D

Where's the radar? And like the reverse cam, does it get less effective when dirty?

I was raving about the ACC but this week I'm actually getting quite f*cked off with it! A friend was following me home last night and I had some idiot pull infront of me, going the speed limit, i mean how dare he. Anyway had ACC on and it did nothing until AFTER the guy pulled back into the slow lane and then it slammed on the brakes confusing my mate behind me, he even mentioned it after and asked me why I randomly slammed on my brakes. I didnt obviously the stupid car did. And it took it a few seconds to realise there was nothing infront and sped back up. It's not like it's never done that before but never so bad as this and I'm wondering is it because I've not cleaned him in a week.. which is a long time for me!

Anyone else experience this? It is getting to the point where I don't want to use ACC at all unless there's no one on the roads.. and that's upsetting because I loved it so much at first. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Maybe the one in front of you was already decreasing speed, and the ACC noticed that?

I sometimes have an effect that is similar but opposite. It happens when I myself want to change to a free lane while the traffic in front of me is decreasing speed approaching a red traffic light. Then the ACC first brakes, but when it notices the free lane it immediately accelerates. In this case I found it understandable.

P.S. If I remember well you have set the fastest response in the ACC settings whereas I have set the slowest response. Maybe that makes the car's reactions more nervous in your case.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nah that's not an issue.. I've managed to work out how close I can get to the car infront before it starts to slow down/i need to change lanes and it handles that fine, like you say by accelerating as soon as I put indicators on and start moving out but... this is almost like... there's a seriously long delay in detecting the car in front *if* you've gone from completely empty lane to some d*ck pulling close in front.. car doesn't immediately react and slam brakes on but does it a few minutes later when the car in front has already accelerated or moved out of the way.. making you look like a complete div, like I said in a previous post because to other road users, it looks like you've just slammed on your brakes for no reason.
Really hope I'm not the only one experiencing this because I'm hoping a software update will fix it!

Edit: Just read your edit and I think you may be right... I'll try it with 2 blocks tonight but I find 3 just leaves too much distance between me and car in front and there is always a BMW or Audi driver ready to squeeze into that space.. :mad:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I just re read and you mean the speed at which it accelerates in ACC? Surely that shouldnt affect how it brakes?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
OK, then this setting is not making the braking different. Maybe the distance settings is? If the ACC keeps more distance, maybe it does not need to react in this way, as it accepts a margin of a percentage of the distance set?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
this is almost like... there's a seriously long delay in detecting the car in front *if* you've gone from completely empty lane to some d*ck pulling close in front.. car doesn't immediately react and slam brakes on but does it a few minutes later when the car in front has already accelerated or moved out of the way..
This does not sound good. Maybe the software is kept busy with something it should not do.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me about it. If my mate had been following any closer last night he would have ended up in my boot. Neither of us was expecting it to do that.
I'm gonna try the other settings on way home now.. but I fear it will just brake even more to try and put even more distance between us..

the Ioniq is technically doing the right thing but no one drives like that in real life.. if someone cuts you up, you brake a little IF it looks like you'll collide but generally, you'd just take foot off accelerator and cruise until the other car gets up to speed... the ACC doesn't allow for that and I'm seriously disappointed now.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I do not recognize what you write. In my case often the ACC just slightly adapts the speed, as I would have done it myself. For example, if the traffic in front of me is smoothly decreasing speed until standing still, based on ACC my car is showing the same smoothness in decreasing speed and finally standing still.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
... car doesn't immediately react and slam brakes on but does it a few minutes later when the car in front has already accelerated or moved out of the way...
I still cannot get this mystery out of my head. Are you sure the ACC's reaction was a response on that car from minutes ago and not on something else? Could it be, for example, a response on a slight bending of the road so that the radar detected cars in other lanes or objects not even on the road, or was an upward change of the road like a bridge detected?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
my experience with ACC was similar but not as extreme, braking by ACC is not smooth

one thing I found that made it worse was if you override the speed set by more than 2-3 mph then take yor foot of the accelerator ACC then brakes hard ,

this is part of the reason I now tend to use the speed limiter unless on long light traffic motorway

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Is your setting on a short distance to be kept, or longer?

Indeed, if you take over control from the ACC by pressing the accelerator, you better hand over control back to the ACC when you drive again on the speed it was set, or else you can also do it while changing the speed setting of the ACC to the new speed you have (by hitting the up-down button once).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I tried the ACC on a long stretch of 30MPH we have today and was surprised that ACC picked up a bike and braked to the bike's speed. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. There was no chance of a collision.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I also get the impression that the system was set rather sensitive: better safe than sorry. As a consequence, sometimes you just should take over control if you can judge that the situation is safe enough.

Remember from the other thread the repeating accidents with the Tesla Model S where part of the lane is blocked but the car ignores it and crashes. That would not be preferable.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I'm definitely getting a significant delay in response even with the different settings, and tbh it's not good enough! I can't explain it without showing you what I mean, so I'll do a little vid and put it up. I really need to know that mine isn't malfunctioning and if it is just the normal behaviour.. Hyundai seriously need to sort it out!

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I keep mine on 3/4 for distance I find 1 / 2 tend to be too close for me

I tend to disengage ACC if I have to overtake then reset it manually once at the desired speed

one thing I haven't used cruise since my car was serviced the other week
If you overtake, disengaging is not really needed, as by pressing the accelerator you already take over control; you can just set the (new) speed after your action, assuming that this speed is not lower than the previous speed setting.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I also get the impression that the system was set rather sensitive: better safe than sorry. As a consequence, sometimes you just should take over control if you can judge that the situation is safe enough.

Remember from the other thread the repeating accidents with the Tesla Model S where part of the lane is blocked but the car ignores it and crashes. That would not be preferable.
I am not sure that this rather vague reference can be found back. I meant these three horrible crashes of a Tesla Model S, all according to a similar pattern: encountering a partly blocked lane. One of the drivers died.

Watch Tesla Model S crash into construction barrier [Video] - LeftLaneNews

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Could it be the case that the setting for the level of regeneration affects how nervous the ACC works? This setting determines how strong the car brakes when you take your foot from the accelerator.

I have that setting at the lowest level 1. If you have it at a higher level, could it have the effect that the ACC brakes more strongly, as if you take your foot from the accelerator?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Could it be the case that the setting for the level of regeneration affects how nervous the ACC works? This setting determines how strong the car brakes when you take your foot from the accelerator.

I have that setting at the lowest level 1. If you have it at a higher level, could it have the effect that the ACC brakes more strongly, as if you take your foot from the accelerator?
Where are you able to change the level of regenerative braking? I found that mine is quite severe if I lift off completely.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts