Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at HYUNDAI MOTOR REVEALS FULL PRICING AND SPECIFICATION OF IONIQ : Hyundai Media Centre

and noticed the economy and emmissions figures

FUEL CONSUMPTION & EMISSIONS

Ioniq SE, Premium, premium SE with std 15" wheels and 195/65 R15 rubber
Urban mpg (l/100km) 83.1 (3.4)
Extra urban mpg (l/100km) 78.5 (3.6)
Combined mpg (l/100km) 83.1 (3.4)
C02 Emissions (g/km) 79

Ioniq premium SE with option 17" wheels and 225/45 R17 rubber
Urban mpg (l/100km) 72.7 (3.88)
Extra urban mpg (l/100km) 71.9 (3.92)
Combined mpg (l/100km) 70.6 (4.00)
C02 Emissions (g/km) 92

two things caught my eye

first is the decrease in MPG with the 17" wheels WHY? (9-13% increase in fuel consumption for having bigger wheels)

and the extra urban figures are lower MPG than the urban ??, does the electric motor really make that much difference round town to consumption?

I have noticed similar figures on the new Kia Niro, bigger wheels = lower fuel economy and higher emissions

a bit of a google turns up Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver , quite a good test with lots of data and the methodology of their process

the most interesting bit is the image of the results

you notice the bigger wheel / tyre combo are heavier, and also wider meaning more rolling resistance, is that enough,

so if you want better economy time for you and your family to hit the diet ?

they also have a smaller (about 5%) impact in 0-60mph times

but the bigger wheels due to wider tyres have slightly more grip in both cornering and braking distance

will this mean the trend to larger wider tyres will start to reverse as manufacturers look for easy wins to reduce average emissions figures to meet EU 2020 emissions regs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Of course the bigger rims will eat up the MPG. The heavier the unsprung weight, the more power it takes to spin it. Also it's not just the unsprung weight alone that hits the MPG. The location of mass of the unsprung weight makes a difference too. You can have a set of 15" and 17" rims and tires that weight identical with the identical circumference and the 17" takes more effort to spin because the of the majority of the mass is located at 13.5" from the center instead of 12.5" from the center. The closer the mass from center the easier to spend. Also the amount of mass is also increased by over 11% due to increased circumference area of the rim. In real world, 17" rims that weight the same as 15 costs many times more than 17" counter part of the 15" rims. With all that said, 9-13%? really? Even the Prius's 17" rims MPG hit is barely noticeable. There are many Priuses with factory 17's beating the EPA in city, highway and combined. HVAC takes more MPG hit than going from 15" to 17".

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the prius shows similar differences

97.4 for 15" to 85.6 for 17" in urban mpg 12% difference
91.1 for 15" to 85.6 for 17" in extra urban mpg 6% difference

but the 2016 prius only seem to show low to mid 50's mpg real world on fuelly

we know the UK/EU economy figures exaggerate these sort of things but I do find it curious and the fact the hybrids urban mpg is higher than the extra urban, unlike petrol only cars where it is the other way round and much larger variance in the two figure

this is part of the reason I am looking at the Ioniq for my next car, as I get reasonable mpg on my long runs for work but it is then spoilt by my short runs at the weekends

·
Registered
260 Posts
cpraudio is right. It's not just the extra weight, but where the weight is located at the outside circumference of the rim that matters. It takes more power to accelerate that mass around the the wheel. An ounce of weight in the tubes/tires counts as several ounces of weight elsewhere on a bicycle. More rolling resistance and more air resistance of the wider wheels hurts also. I know I want the advanced safety stuff of the high-end Ioniq/Niro but I don't want the low-profile tires and wheels. Yeah, they look cooler and provide better grip in corners, but the smaller wheels/high-profile tires ride better as well as provide better economy. Too bad Hyundai/Kia package them that way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you don't like the 17's MPG hit, there are plenty of people who will trade their 15's for your 17's. Personally, I never had any problem beating the EPA with my 17's. I'm sure the Ioniq is the same.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer 15/16 inch wheels as the roads where I live have pot holes, and the local council aren't to good at looking after the roads so 17" and bigger wheels are not a good idea or a comfortable ride

I prefer economy over speed and being able to push the boundaries of handling, so the 15's will be fine for me, also the cost of the rubber on 15" wheels is cheaper as well

·
Registered
359 Posts
I thought 16 inch wheels and tires were cheaper since they are more common, same goes for all the even sizes, from what i noticed its the odd sizes that are a bit higher in price.

·
Registered
384 Posts
In France it is impossible to have any of the following equipments on a Hybrid Ioniq without 17'' wheels:
Bi-xenon headlights
Headlight Rear Lights
Power folding door mirrors
Front parking sensors
Rear air vents

So, as I wanted those equipments, I also got 17'' wheels, which I didn't really want. I think it is a pity to make such large wheels "compulsory", but apparently manufacturers want their cars to have large wheels to give their brand a sporty image. Large wheels are a non-sense in urban driving when one is constantly accelerating and breaking a large unsprung weight with a lot of inertia at low speeds. It could explain why the 17''-equipped Ioniq gets better extra-urban than urban fuel economy. Moreover low profile tires generate a risk of damaging the rims when driving over potholes, or when hitting a sidewalk. And buying replacement rims is very expensive! I know: it happened to me with a previous car.

However I haven't driven the car with 17'' wheels as of today, because I also bought 15'' winter wheels, with which I am currently driving. Narrower wheels actually provide a better grip in winter. I will start driving with the 17'' wheels in April.

There is a trade off between safety and fuel economy. Better grip means shorter breaking distance, hence better safety. But better grip also comes along with higher rolling resistance, hence higher fuel consumption. For example my winter tires get an EU fuel efficiency label "E" compared to a label "C" for summer tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In France it is impossible to have any of the following equipments on a Hybrid Ioniq without 17'' wheels:
Bi-xenon headlights
Headlight Rear Lights
Power folding door mirrors
Front parking sensors
Rear air vents
In Spain we have the same big-wheel culture, so I have the same problem.

I am thinking to give up those things and buy the basic version because is the only with 15" wheels...

·
Registered
103 Posts

I am thinking to give up those things and buy the basic version because is the only with 15" wheels...
Germany is pretty much the same. However I asked several dealers whether they would be willing and capable of organizing a fully equipped model with 15" wheels and I actually found a dealer willing to offer me such a car. However he did not discount anything towards the cheaper wheels. As I haven't started any negotiations yet, I am not sure whether I might be able to even get a slight discount because of the cheaper wheels. Anyhow, pricing will be negotiated but I wouldn't expect more than 200something EUR additional discount for the tires. And if I get it or not wouldn't break the deal. What I would not accept is paying additional money for the 15" wheels.

So, if you're up to a fully equipped car and still want small wheels, ask around. There might be a chance to find a dealer willing to put some extra effort into selling his cars. And living in a big-wheel culture opens up the opportunity to find someone who would be willing to swap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's not the fully equipped version, it's the intermediate version that comes with 17" wheels in Spain... :(

Maybe I'll try to make that change when i finally decide to buy it, thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Doubt it, they're bolted (or screwed) together, I don't think those can be removed, at least not with normal day-to-day screwdrivers & equipment like that...

·
Registered
11 Posts

Been there, done that... Don't buy the basic version, it really is a poverty-spec one. Later, you can easily swap 17" for 15", depending which you'll like more. Thing is though, you really have to opt for original 15" Hyundai ones because they are ultra - light. Normally I average about 4 l / 100 km around town on my original 17". When I change it to 15" aftermarket, I actually get 4.5 - 4.8 l / 100 km. Go figure :)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Been there, done that... Don't buy the basic version, it really is a poverty-spec one. Later, you can easily swap 17" for 15", depending which you'll like more. Thing is though, you really have to opt for original 15" Hyundai ones because they are ultra - light. Normally I average about 4 l / 100 km around town on my original 17". When I change it to 15" aftermarket, I actually get 4.5 - 4.8 l / 100 km. Go figure :)
Are the 15" tires the same model and width as the OEM? Very unlikely the weight will make that much difference.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I agree, especially since the factory-fitted 15'' rims seem made of steel with wheel covers. Not ultra-light, is it?
Typical alloy wheels are heavier than typical steel. Either way, they are just about style. It is unlikely non-racers could ever notice a significant difference in efficiency or comfort/handling from lower unsprung weight.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well according to my brochure in the UK they are all alloy wheels whichever size/trim level

Not that I worry....my alloys on my Focus were flaking the lacquer and the tyres needed pumping up every week. It was cheaper to get a brand new set of steel wheels than it was to get the alloys sorted. 4 wheels for about £100 shipped from Germany....couldn't complain at that!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts