Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in the far northwest corner of Washington State, across from Victoria, BC.

When I buy a new car I always put a can of gas in the trunk (boot) and flame it out to see what the fuel gauge, distance til empty and low fuel lights are really telling me. I didn't quite get to empty this time due to the "damage to hybrid battery" warning that occurs right before it quits. That occurred next to a gas station so I chickened out and left my gas can in the back. Here's what I learned. These are miles and U. S. Gallons expressed here for an Ioniq SEL with tech package.

I drove 639 miles on the tank or 53.32 MPG. There were lots of short trips and hill climbing involved so I'm happy that actual MPG was very close to the advertised 55. The CALCULATED MPG in the car was inaccurate, showing 56.8.

I put 11.985 gallons into my 11.9 tank, so, yeah, I was at the end.

An unknown is whether the gas I used over the two week period contained ethanol or not. We switch to pure gasoline in May and MPG jumps about 6-8%. My guess is that I had pure gasoline but I'm not sure of that. I'll update later to answer that question. Of course, I hope I was burning corn and that these numbers will increase. Another possibility is that I was burning a mixture of the two.

The low fuel light came on with 38 miles showing until empty. I drove another 78.7 miles after that indication, so this reading is pretty pessimistic, consistent with most cars.

Amazingly, it went another 40 miles from when the "distance until empty" zeroed out. These were slow, gentle miles so I think this is a little optimistic.

The gas tank is hard plastic. My Prius had a rubber bag for a tank which shut off the gas pump with only eight gallons in the bag as it stretched and needed to be burped. If I worked at it and angered the guy behind me, I could get about eleven gallons aboard, sometimes with a bit of spillage. I've been counseled by many Costco gas attendants about topping off. That will be much easier now.

Conclusions:

I believe the Ioniq SEL rating of 55 MPG highway is trustworthy. I think this will decay pretty fast above 65 MPH.

625-650 miles of total range is real. I can go from the Canadian border to Los Angeles on one fill-up but will be sucking fumes (twice) to get there. Seattle to LA would be easy.

If I seem a bit anal about this, please realize that I am a former Navy pilot and would probably be dead if I was less attentive to fuel. This old habit will never die for me.

I'm beyond delighted with this new car. The smart cruise control is a geek's dream.

Hope all this is of some use. Note photos below.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
one thing you will find is the range remaining is for ICE only, so anything you do in EV is in effect added to that figure

you will find if yo watch the range figure and you can get a long slight slope the range remaining won't decrease when you are in EV mode

·
Registered
725 Posts
one thing you will find is the range remaining is for ICE only, so anything you do in EV is in effect added to that figure

you will find if yo watch the range figure and you can get a long slight slope the range remaining won't decrease when you are in EV mode

Is it just ICE or is it just the way it works. My previous car used to calculate range based on previous fill/mpg and would go down linearly irrespective of actual mpg. It was only as it got close to the bottom would it start noticeably adjusting the range value and I think the i20 is the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I watched a Youtube video about "what happens if you run out of gas and battery in a Chevy Volt"... it was quite interesting. The driver ran down the Volt down to zero battery power, and then down to nearly zero gas. However, the range kept getting extended beyond the "XX miles left" because the gas was recharging the battery and extending the range.

I love my Ioniq and will be keeping the fuel level at least above a quarter tank, but I really appreciate the OP and folks doing experiments like this to help us know the limits. The beautiful thing about the Ioniq is you don't have to buy gas very often, but it's very easy to strategically choose cheap gas stations on your route, so you can be well stocked up on cheaper gas as you go on your journey, instead of desperately trying to hunt down the closest gas station as the regular car gas tank starts to dwindle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts