Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, after doing the daily 2 mile walk required by my Cancer Dr. and getting back to where we had parked Trooper, our 2018 Ioniq Blue, my wife and I were approached by a few people who had been reading Trooper's window sticker. After answering their questions pertaining to the magic dust (their words) your engineers must have sprinkled on Trooper that enables him to actually get the claimed average 58 MPG (2 of those people looking at Trooper actually pulled up the attached YouTube video proof of this on their phone - seeing is believing) and, at times, even some +60 mpg miles. There was a moment in our discussion when it occurred to the bystanders that Trooper is a Hybrid and the comment was made that you folks at Hyundai have done an exquisite job of hiding this fact as his "lines" (again - their words) don't show it. After telling them of the smoothness and ease that the Ioniq transitions from ICE to EV, the amount of time that this amazing vehicle is effortlessly making this transition as well as the utilization of things like effortless regenerative braking and the sense of normality found in the ease of transitioning from driving a non-hybrid to driving the worlds most frugal Hybrid in our case, something occurred to me. I cant help but wonder if an exterior little blue LED light display might not be a bad idea. Something that would visually announce to unknowing bystanders/drivers of other cars/trucks/motorcycles = "HEY,, LOOK AT ME,, I AM GIVING MY OWNERS FREE MPG" , via a soft Blue (following with the whole "Blue Drive" scheme) LED light display that engages anytime the battery was being charged or used to power the car.. An announcement of sort that would tell the people around the world as it is being driven that the Ioniq is not just another cool little car but something very very special!! Nothing gaughty,,, something catchy and classic.. Just a thought..

·
Registered
490 Posts
Unfortunately the limited supply and huge demand makes this point somewhat moot. They could easily sell double, triple or even quadruple the number of IONIQs if they were available. The 4 to 6 month waiting list is every car manufacturers dream.

OB

·
Registered
456 Posts
And that will keep our resale values up hopefully

·
Registered
152 Posts
Limited supply and huge demand are certainly not factors in my location. The dealer my SEL came from still has 3 of the 4 Ioniqs on the lot that they had after I drove mine away early this month, and the next-nearest dealer has 4 of the 5 remaining that they had when I was deciding to buy. Basically, from two dealers, 3 Ioniq HEVs have been sold in 4 weeks, including mine.

In almost a month, I've seen one other on the road. Admittedly, it's not a huge metropolitan area, but I do see plenty of other Hyundai models (and a fair few Gen 4 Priuses).

That's for HEVs - there are no PHEV or EV models for sale in this region at all, so I suspect if there is a demand here, there would be a waiting list for those.

I don't watch TV, so don't know what advertising there may be, but awareness of the Ioniq seems pretty low. In fact I only recalled something about a Hyundai competitor to the Prius myself when I was considering a new Toyota, and found their pricing for the trim level I wanted to be too high to realistically consider.

The Ioniq is too good a vehicle to languish on dealer lots if there is a market for fuel efficient cars. Either Hyundai are not marketing it much, or at all, or there's little to no interest in fuel efficient transportation here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Limited supply and huge demand are certainly not factors in my location. The dealer my SEL came from still has 3 of the 4 Ioniqs on the lot that they had after I drove mine away early this month, and the next-nearest dealer has 4 of the 5 remaining that they had when I was deciding to buy. Basically, from two dealers, 3 Ioniq HEVs have been sold in 4 weeks, including mine.

That's for HEVs - there are no PHEV or EV models for sale in this region at all, so I suspect if there is a demand here, there would be a waiting list for those.
Nor here in NJ...one of our local dealers had a PHEV that we drove, but they got a bit hinky on us when we asked them to locate one in the preferred trim level/color. Since the Hyundai USA online inventory search tool is either really bad or wasn't working, I searched individually on pretty much every dealer in NJ until I found one that was in transit to a dealer 75 miles away. That dealer had 25 HEV's in stock, and several PHEV's, although the salesman said the PHEV's usually only last a week or so on the lot.

There was a moment in our discussion when it occurred to the bystanders that Trooper is a Hybrid and the comment was made that you folks at Hyundai have done an exquisite job of hiding this fact as his "lines" (again - their words) don't show it. After telling them of the smoothness and ease that the Ioniq transitions from ICE to EV, the amount of time that this amazing vehicle is effortlessly making this transition as well as the utilization of things like effortless regenerative braking and the sense of normality found in the ease of transitioning from driving a non-hybrid to driving the worlds most frugal Hybrid in our case, something occurred to me. I cant help but wonder if an exterior little blue LED light display might not be a bad idea. Something that would visually announce to unknowing bystanders/drivers of other cars/trucks/motorcycles = "HEY,, LOOK AT ME,, I AM GIVING MY OWNERS FREE MPG" , via a soft Blue (following with the whole "Blue Drive" scheme) LED light display that engages anytime the battery was being charged or used to power the car.. An announcement of sort that would tell the people around the world as it is being driven that the Ioniq is not just another cool little car but something very very special!! Nothing gaughty,,, something catchy and classic.. Just a thought..
I think you are missing the point, the sooner HEV's become "normal" and indistinguishable from regular cars, or perhaps I should say until a normal car IS an HEV, the better off we'll be. They shouldn't be trying to market HEV's as "different" they should be marketing them, as in the case of the Sonata for instance, "this model is X dollars, and this one is X + $5000. The more expensive one gets twice the mileage, otherwise you won't notice any difference"

People don't understand hybrids, they think you have to plug them in. They really don't understand PHEV's, because those are electric cars...aren't they? No one ever bought a car because it had a 3-way catalyst system, etc. People don't understand cars, so trying to explain or emphasize hybrid technology just makes people think it's some sort of weirdo car like most people thing Prius's are.

The Ioniq is too good a vehicle to languish on dealer lots if there is a market for fuel efficient cars. Either Hyundai are not marketing it much, or at all, or there's little to no interest in fuel efficient transportation here.
You hit the nail on the head, there is no interest in fuel efficient transportation, or cars (vs SUV's), hence the reason there is no more Volt and the Kia version of the Ioniq is an SUV.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You hit the nail on the head, there is no interest in fuel efficient transportation, or cars (vs SUV's), hence the reason there is no more Volt and the Kia version of the Ioniq is an SUV.
Sadly, this is exactly the problem. When fuel prices in the US went up after Katrina, and continued to rise in the 2 or 3 years after, the demand for large cars and SUVs dropped, Toyota commanded MSRP+ (and sometimes ++) to sell every Prius, and the market for fuel efficiency was seismic. For a while.

Then fuel prices fell. A concept which our European members wouldn't be at all familiar with, but which saw petrol halve in price at the pumps in my area in the US, and all the heat went out of the fuel-efficient market, with SUV and truck sales rising again. They have remained buoyant since, even now as fuel prices are once more on the rise.

Right now, where I live, it costs more per gallon to fuel up than it did when the same people were bemoaning how a tank of gas every week or so was making them go broke. Then, they couldn't countenance the cost, now they somehow can. And of course that means HEVs, PHEVs and BEVs are back on the margins.

And I think your other point - that buyers don't understand hybrids - is totally right. The only time anyone asked about my Prius was 'do you have to plug it in every day', or, 'where do you plug it in'.

I can't help but think that in the US at least, it's going to be a hard job marketing a technically excellent, fuel efficient vehicle that looks like a normal car, but isn't understood to be one. I think Toyota's decision to go for the origami look in the Gen 4 Prius may have been an excellent way to get it noticed, but didn't solve the lack of comprehension problem.

It's a shame that there seems to be little marketing effort to push the Ionic into the limelight, I've been impressed with how well it behaves as a totally normal car while scoring great milage, and yet (unlike the Prius), didn't cost a premium for the drivetrain. Perhaps Hyundai are hoping for osmosis!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a shame that there seems to be little marketing effort to push the Ionic into the limelight, I've been impressed with how well it behaves as a totally normal car while scoring great milage, and yet (unlike the Prius), didn't cost a premium for the drivetrain. Perhaps Hyundai are hoping for osmosis!
We were on a road here in the US (pun intended I guess) with the new CAFE regs which would have pushed hybrids into the mainstream. Every car would have been a hybrid, the car companies wouldn't have made any distinction ("that's just the way they make them now", shrug) and people wouldn't really have paid any attention.

Now they are rolling back all those regs and it will be 2007 all over again when some world crisis cranks US gas prices up over $4/gal again.

The car companies in general I guess look at this as a nerd technology that they need to market to nerds. Look at GM, that has, from time to time, been at the forefront of these technologies, with their aborted EV1 effort in the early 90's, to the mild hybrids they were doing, to the Volt. The mild hybrids hardly seemed worth the effort, while the Volt was kind of nerdy in some ways.

Why they can't implement a middle-of-the-road hybrid that isn't nerdy and still gets a lot better mileage than the "base" car, I don't understand. Many cars come in a base, luxury, and sport version...why not add a fuel economy version?

I applaud the "normalcy" of the Ioniq, but they still made a discrete model that puts it in the "weird" category, since there is an EV version. Eh, for all I know, the Hyundai dealers are doing a good job of selling the Sonata Hybrid, I wouldn't know because I don't go into a car dealer like normal people do. If I recall, the Sonata Hybrid has higher combined HP than the regular car. That's the way they should sell it, "this hybrid model has more horsepower and gets better gas mileage (42 vs. 29), but it costs $4500 more". Customer: "what does "hybrid" mean?" Salesman: "It's just more advanced technology, that's why it's more expensive".

The problem of course is it will only save $500 a year at current gas prices, and nobody wants to spend $4500 more to save $500 a year, when they can take that $4500 and buy the model where the doors close by themselves, because who wants to be closing a door? Sorry, the frivolity of people puts me in a bad mood.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We were on a road here in the US (pun intended I guess) with the new CAFE regs which would have pushed hybrids into the mainstream. Every car would have been a hybrid, the car companies wouldn't have made any distinction ("that's just the way they make them now", shrug) and people wouldn't really have paid any attention.

Now they are rolling back all those regs and it will be 2007 all over again when some world crisis cranks US gas prices up over $4/gal again.

The car companies in general I guess look at this as a nerd technology that they need to market to nerds. Look at GM, that has, from time to time, been at the forefront of these technologies, with their aborted EV1 effort in the early 90's, to the mild hybrids they were doing, to the Volt. The mild hybrids hardly seemed worth the effort, while the Volt was kind of nerdy in some ways.

Why they can't implement a middle-of-the-road hybrid that isn't nerdy and still gets a lot better mileage than the "base" car, I don't understand. Many cars come in a base, luxury, and sport version...why not add a fuel economy version?

I applaud the "normalcy" of the Ioniq, but they still made a discrete model that puts it in the "weird" category, since there is an EV version. Eh, for all I know, the Hyundai dealers are doing a good job of selling the Sonata Hybrid, I wouldn't know because I don't go into a car dealer like normal people do. If I recall, the Sonata Hybrid has higher combined HP than the regular car. That's the way they should sell it, "this hybrid model has more horsepower and gets better gas mileage (42 vs. 29), but it costs $4500 more". Customer: "what does "hybrid" mean?" Salesman: "It's just more advanced technology, that's why it's more expensive".

The problem of course is it will only save $500 a year at current gas prices, and nobody wants to spend $4500 more to save $500 a year, when they can take that $4500 and buy the model where the doors close by themselves, because who wants to be closing a door? Sorry, the frivolity of people puts me in a bad mood.
The question I always got asked once people understood my Prius was fuel-efficient was 'how long is it going to take to pay for itself'. The reality being probably 6 years or so. But everyone knew what a Prius was, even if they didn't know exactly how it worked, and they knew it cost more than a similarly equipped 'normal' car.

The Ioniq on the other hand is not really known, so even though it's a line of vehicles dedicated to electric drivetrains, I doubt that most will think it weird when it basically looks and drives like any other car. What is a little disappointing is that Hyundai aren't marketing it at all, as far as I can tell, not so much that they aren't selling it the right way - though I certainly agree that marketing it as a normal car that just happens to be very fuel efficient would be the right way to push the HEV at least, since there's little in the way of premium in cost to the buyer for the hybrid drivetrain.

Clearly it is true that there is little market for fuel efficiency in the US, where most buyers seem far more fixated on size and bling as symbols of status and expressions of desired self-image. I don't get this at all, but then if I did, I probably wouldn't have given a second thought to an Ioniq, and would be driving around in an F150 instead, complaining at having to spend $80 a week just to commute to and from work.

I suspect that US car makers understand their market, and so have little interest in building fuel efficient vehicles that they can only hope to sell in numbers in overseas markets where they don't compete well, if at all. So our niche markets here are served mostly by foreign manufacturers building cars for more mature markets elsewhere, with the US thrown into their strategies...if we're lucky.

With Hyundai/Kia, and Toyota etc, we are fortunate in that they do at least bring fuel efficient models to market here, even if they don't sell many.

·
Registered
407 Posts

In almost a month, I've seen one other on the road. Admittedly, it's not a huge metropolitan area, but I do see plenty of other Hyundai models (and a fair few Gen 4 Priuses).

I don't watch TV, so don't know what advertising there may be, but awareness of the Ioniq seems pretty low. In fact I only recalled something about a Hyundai competitor to the Prius myself when I was considering a new Toyota, and found their pricing for the trim level I wanted to be too high to realistically consider.

This seems to be the case here in north central Arkansas. The closest dealer is 20 miles away and had only one hybrid in the basic trim. I had to go 60 miles away to find one I wanted. As it turned out that dealer had to get the car from a dealer 150 miles away. I have the only Ioniq in the area. I see a Prius or two once in a while. Around here the 4wd pickups, jeeps, and Big SUV's reign. There is little concern for the environment here!

·
Registered
82 Posts

I don't watch TV, so don't know what advertising there may be, but awareness of the Ioniq seems pretty low. In fact, I only recalled something about a Hyundai competitor to the Prius myself when I was considering a new Toyota and found their pricing for the trim level I wanted to be too high to realistically consider.

The Ioniq is too good a vehicle to languish on dealer lots if there is a market for fuel-efficient cars. Either Hyundai is not marketing it much, or at all, or there's little to no interest in fuel-efficient transportation here.
It is possible that Hyundai Korea is still having difficulty aquire enough batteries for them. Iad to order my PHEV direct from there an this was the reason cited for the 8-month wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts