Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you have the electric car, besides tyre rotations, there is nothing much else that needs servicing, so the question is, do you really need to go to the dealer, I can get the tyres rotated at many other different places, I just do not want to go there to be sold something i do not need for the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you always buy whatever people are selling you and can't just say no? ?

Check your manual for service requirements, then decide if a shop mechanic can handle it, pretty simple.

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
certainly a periodic visit to dealer is a good idea, as only they can check firmwares and apply the updates

BUT

you don't need to go to them for every service / tyre rotation

remember EV's needs lot less servicing, so dealers are losing a big chunk of revenue, so they are looking to try and lock you into their services or up sell low cost (to them) high margin products and services

shop around, check what is required to maintain warranty status

·
Super Moderator
1,970 Posts
Not sure about the status of the breakdown cover in the UK now . It was 5 years , but now ( on 2020 models ) it's renewed after every service at the dealership or so they told me

·
Registered
127 Posts
certainly a periodic visit to dealer is a good idea, as only they can check firmwares and apply the updates
I'm sure this is a regional thing, but all Hyundai and Kia owners of 2018+ vehicles get 5 years of free, self-service firmware, software and map updates.

That quick tidbit out of the way, I take my Ioniq to my own mechanic once every six months when I do my tire swaps (I like the wheels torqued properly). While there, he does a road test and inspection, since that's all the dealership will do anyway. Brake service is a joke service! After 80,000km, I had 10mm of pads left on the rear and 8mm on the front, so they're barely used because of regen.

As my mechanic tells me, with EVs, inspect it, have the 12V battery checked when it's in, but for the most part, fix it when it breaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Generally it's only a once a year service at a cost of about $160. They check the mechanical and battery state as well as check / update firmware, give another year recovery service and another year of the Autolink Premium cellular connection service. I think it's worth doing for peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
I'm sure this is a regional thing, but all Hyundai and Kia owners of 2018+ vehicles get 5 years of free, self-service firmware, software and map updates.
but that don't include the hybrid ECU, BMS, gearbox ECU (if hybrid/plugin) etc, only Hyundai can check / update these

·
Registered
55 Posts
I find the premise a little flawed; that there's little/no reason to go to the dealership only if you own an EV due to reduced maintenance needs.

I bought a used Acura from a dealership (because the exact car I was looking for was scarce in private market) and only went back once to have a recall item performed (at the manufacturers expense).

Unless a dealership includes certain maintenance for free, any shop can perform regular maintenance such as oil/filter/fluid changes, brake service, tire rotations, etc and at a fraction of the dealership cost.

BTW- I rotate my own tires because it's faster than driving somewhere, waiting for the service to be performed, and driving back. I'm also particular about tire pressure. I take that opportunity to check brake wear too, which I don't trust shops to give me an accurate description. If I were ever to allow a shop to perform work on my vehicle, I'd require to see the items replaced as proof before paying the bill (were the brake pads really worn out?).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts