Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, when I was about to unlock the car and drive home from work, the car was dead, not just the key.

Called Hyundai Emergency Service the number found on the window sticker. 45 minutes. No, it became 90 minutes. Nice weather luckily.

The car was connected for charging.

1. Can't unlock to get in, by key or door handle buttons.
2. Can't release the charging cable.
3. Can't open trunk to let rescue/service guy reach the 12V battery, wich was of course under suspicion for malfunctioning.

Now what?

1. Revealed the cap over the manual key hole in door handle
2. Used the mechanical key - voila
3. Got in and got the driver side (left) rear door open
4. Folded the rear seatback. The left rear seatback was too narrow for to get into the trunk
5. Opened the opposite rear door
6. Folded the right seatback
7. Loosened the trunk cover (a bit tricky from that angle)
8. Crawled in and removed the mechanical key again (had no other tools)
9. Got it in the lid and sled it sideways until I could feel some resistance - click!
10. Out, to trunk. Only half unlocked. ****. Tried twice more, no luck.
11. Found someone with a screwdriver. One click more - open
12. Opened the battery cover - all set to charge

Rest and wait for rescue. He came and started charging.

- Now, start the car
- Ok, it came on fine now
- Is the engine running?
- No, it won't - can't help it (tried turning on heat, and it was showing HEV already) - but that doesn't matter - there is no generator for the 12V - the main battery takes care of charging the 12 V have I learned
- So let it be on for a while. In the meantime, we will remove your charging cable ...
- Can't yet. Have to unlock the car.
- It's not locked!
- Yet, have to lock it first, then unlock. But it won't lock. It's on.
- Turn it off then

1. Turned car off, got it locked with button.
2. Unlocked
3. Removed cable
4. Started car again

Two minutes more and we agreed it was safe to go.

- But let me measure the voltage first
- Ok, it says?
- 13.4 volts
- That ok?
- Nope. Would rather have seen 14.5 V or close.
- Hmmm
- Get it checked at dealer garage

Drove home fine, just got home.

Do I have to fear it won't start tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
474 Posts
It always did bother me that cars with an electric boot catch and no external way of release could be a nightmare.
Our last four cars have all had them. The worst was Peugeot 807. Great useful cavernous car which held two dog cages side by side with ease. But if the lock failed it would have been a nightmare to get the dogs and cages out to even reach the point you managed.

It would further concern any disabled person who has to crawl into the boot.

And of course, just getting to use the manual key can be a struggle.

I’m grateful that on the Electric version, the traction battery charges the 12v battery automatically, day or night, when needed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So did the car start alright this morning? It will be interesting to see what they find at the dealer's garage.

I’m grateful that on the Electric version, the traction battery charges the 12v battery automatically, day or night, when needed.
It does that on the plug-in hybrid as well, but apparently that didn't help in this case.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
It does it automatically on the PHEV? I thought you had to push that button on the dash.
The button on the dash is only for cars where the 12V battery is an integral part of the traction battery. In such case, there's no lead-acid battery at all. That would be the HEV, not the PHEV or BEV, unless the latest model year has been changed?

And the button doesn't charge the 12V battery per se, only reconnects it in cases where it has been automatically disconnected to protect the battery.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The button on the dash is only for cars where the 12V battery is an integral part of the traction battery. In such case, there's no lead-acid battery at all. That would be the HEV, not the PHEV or BEV, unless the latest model year has been changed?

And the button doesn't charge the 12V battery per se, only reconnects it in cases where it has been automatically disconnected to protect the battery.

You are completely correct!

·
Registered
44 Posts

I believe the 2019 PHEV has the same battery system as you are describing, but as I understand it, it's not an "integral" part of the traction battery, it is simply a separate 12V lithium-ion battery that is located adjacent to the cargo floor.

However, my apologies as I did misunderstand the function of the 12V reset button on the dash.

In regard to some of the comments earlier about reaching the 12V battery for a jump, I was just looking at the manual which says "Your vehicle has a battery in the luggage compartment, but when you jump start your vehicle, use the jumper terminal in the engine compartment."

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I believe the 2019 PHEV has the same battery system as you are describing, but as I understand it, it's not an "integral" part of the traction battery, it is simply a separate 12V lithium-ion battery that is located adjacent to the cargo floor.
That is also correct. The use of the word integral is ambiguous as they are indeed separate components, but they are integrated in that the 12 volt battery requires the traction battery to charge.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So did the car start alright this morning?
Yes, luckily.

It will be interesting to see what they find at the dealer's garage.
Will have to wait a bit, if no more trouble of the kind.

It does that on the plug-in hybrid as well, but apparently that didn't help in this case.
Really? I had the impression it only charged while turned on. Why then the battery warning we all know when media is on without the whole system being on?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Really? I had the impression it only charged while turned on. Why then the battery warning we all know when media is on without the whole system being on?
You can turn the function ("Battery Saver +") off, but why would you want to do that?

And obviously, it won't work if the lead-acid battery is faulty.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
You can turn the function ("Battery Saver +") off, but why would you want to do that?
In my BEV I turned off the battery saver+ function and got myself a Noco Genius GB40. Since being turned off (for over a year now) no more popups reporting extra charging and the dashcam runs longer on the battery. It seems the extra power needed to monitor the 12V battery is one of the causes why it drops so fast while being parked.

·
Registered
474 Posts
In my BEV I turned off the battery saver+ function and got myself a Noco Genius GB40. Since being turned off (for over a year now) no more popups reporting extra charging and the dashcam runs longer on the battery. It seems the extra power needed to monitor the 12V battery is one of the causes why it drops so fast while being parked.
Interesting. I do mostly short trips so my saver runs every couple of days. The battery on my dash cam is nearly always empty and yet it’s fully off when powered down. Parking mode isn’t set. Is your dash cam always powered on? Mine goes off when the Media screen shuts off.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Interesting. I do mostly short trips so my saver runs every couple of days. The battery on my dash cam is nearly always empty and yet it’s fully off when powered down. Parking mode isn’t set. Is your dash cam always powered on? Mine goes off when the Media screen shuts off.
Mine goes into parking mode when ignition signal is down. When 12V voltage drops below 12.5V it cuts power. So 70-80% cappacity remains in the battery to start the car.
Last year before I turned off the battery saver+ function it reported being activated after being parked about two days and the traction battery dropped 2-3 percent to charge the 12V auxiliary battery. Now it doesn't any more. I never needed to jumpstart the car yet.
Annother problem with my Ioniq is it doesn't charge the 12V auxiliary battery to 100%.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine goes into parking mode when ignition signal is down. When 12V voltage drops below 12.5V it cuts power. So 70-80% cappacity remains in the battery to start the car.
Last year before I turned off the battery saver+ function it reported being activated after being parked about two days and the traction battery dropped 2-3 percent to charge the 12V auxiliary battery. Now it doesn't any more. I never needed to jumpstart the car yet.
Annother problem with my Ioniq is it doesn't charge the 12V auxiliary battery to 100%.
Is there any display that reports 12V SOC or do you use a meter?

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for that @Patrick

I did wonder whether my dashcam was having any effect but it’s a ludicrously small power draw when on and presently nil draw when it’s off. The only noticeable difference from when it was in the Prius (which did all the same journeys) is that the cam battery always seems to be low.

I guess that because most of my journeys are probably 4-10 miles and some weeks the car doesn’t get used for 3 or 4 days, I’m as well to let the traction battery do it’s stuff.

From your comment, I presume the car should fully charge the 12v battery.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

And obviously, it won't work if the lead-acid battery is faulty.
The saver has always been on here, but I have never seen the message that it was used during parking. I guess that would display just after "System Check". But I cant find any setting to toggle Cycle Mode vs Automatic Mode. It's just a checkbox turned on and off with OK. Holding OK I get the help text for it.

The main battery was 18%.

May it be a low limit for SoC, as high as 18%, for when the main battery actually will monitor and charge the 12V?

Car has behaved perfectly since, no messages, parked up to 18 hours between use (and charged up).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine just gave me a warning yesterday that the battery saver had activated. This was the first time the car was left unplugged and not driven for two days.

I leave my cars at the airport for a few days several times a year and really don't want to come back to a disabled vehicle.

I wonder if there is too large of a parasitic load for the selected LA battery - would be a strong negative if the 12v battery is repeatedly discharged and damaged by relatively short term storage.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mine just gave me a warning yesterday that the battery saver had activated. This was the first time the car was left unplugged and not driven for two days.

I leave my cars at the airport for a few days several times a year and really don't want to come back to a disabled vehicle.

I wonder if there is too large of a parasitic load for the selected LA battery - would be a strong negative if the 12v battery is repeatedly discharged and damaged by relatively short term storage.
I left mine for two weeks at an airport. No problem with entering and starting the car upon arrival. It’s equipped with the auxiliary lithium ion 12 V battery, not a separate lead acid one, though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
10 Participants
JBSwiftus
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing