Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Dash Cam? I should be getting the car (Premium SE in Phantom Black) in the next 2 or 3 weeks and would like to get one professionally fitted

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have Nextbase 402, had it fitted by halfords 2 years ago in my 2017 PHEV, not hard wired as at the time Hyundai could not make there mind up regarding warranty and after market electrics wired in to system! (Not long after that they started supplying and fitting dash cams themselves) so wiring was all hidden bar the 6 inches where it was plugged into the l/h cig lighter socket in center consul, when I got new 2020 EV I removed from PHEV and fitted it myself in EV, really easy to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It's quite important to me that the cabling is as hidden as possible. I didn't know if I should go to the local Hyundai dealer or trust Halfords.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Roav came with a plastic crowbar that made it very easy to lose the cable in the windscreen surround and dashboard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Dash Cam? I should be getting the car (Premium SE in Phantom Black) in the next 2 or 3 weeks and would like to get one professionally fitted
I had a "RoadEye" dash-cam ( camera front and rear ) fitted by the dealer as an extra when I bought the car. It could be that this web cam is only available in Australia, not sure about this.
Alas, while the cameras take reasonable videos, and the unit is so well hidden that I have failed to find it. I cannot recommend this product because the phone app to control it is so crappy.
It has a wireless interface, it is a major drama to even connect to it via the app on my phone, even when connected, the menus and buttons are confusing. I would say they have paid some inexperienced app developer to develop the app. I have used it to download mp4 videos to my computer, but it was not easy ... ( sigh )
There must be better dash cams out there.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq electric: white (2019)
4 Posts
I fitted my own Nextbase 522GW and rear window remote cam., to my 2019 Ioniq E.V (Classic).
I wanted the front camera as unobtrusive as possible, so chose to position it, such that from the driver's perspective, only the cables can be seen:

The rear cam has a wide field of view, so I chose to position it in the centre, of the lower vertical rear glazed portion of the tailgate.
Routing the cable internally through the tailgate panels, through the flexible rubber cable trunking which connects the tailgate to the N/S roofline, thence tucking-in around the periphery of the internal roof lining, across to the offside internal roof/door junctures and across the top of the driver's side windscreen to the camera.

The power cable ran from the camera, over the driver's windscreen, down the A pillar, and to the fuse box.
N.B the triangular(ish) panel facing the driver's door, has to be carefully popped-off to gain access to two screws holding the edge of the knee/under steering-wheel panel cover; the airbag unit remains untouched.

I did purchase the Nextbase hardwire kit, but discovered that neither of the provided fuse piggy-back inserts, were suitable for the Ioniq's teenie-weenie fuses; cue a visit to Amazon for the correct 'Micro 2 fuse tap'.

One final point, don't skimp on the memory card; after an incident, it's no time to find that the evidence you need is hopelessly corrupted.

Best wishes,
Deborah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts