Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....

1. I'm really really close to ordering an Ioniq Hybrid

2. I work in insurance and have listened to lots of stories about ow people have crashed their cars....

Add 1 and 2 together and you can probably figure out why I want a dashcam.

I'm thinking of asking the dealer to fit a hard wired front and rear dashcam to an Ioniq Premium hybrid - question - there seems to be a lot of stuff behind the mirror. Has anybody found a good place to fix one?

Also, I'll be fitting one the has parking protection - is there anything complicated about the ignition that means this would be a bad idea.

[BTW: if you'll permit a noobie to advise you on this - don't get a cheap dashcam. Either get a good one or don't bother - some people I know who handle claims have cams that are worth more than their cars ;) )

·
Registered
65 Posts
So.....
[BTW: if you'll permit a noobie to advise you on this - don't get a cheap dashcam. Either get a good one or don't bother - some people I know who handle claims have cams that are worth more than their cars ;) )
Not trying to pick up a fight, but what's wrong with cheap dash cams? I've got an AutoVox A118 B40-C dash cam (~$70 off of Amazon.com) that records in 1080p HD, 170 degree recording angle and G-sensor... it has worked flawlessly for 16 months in temperatures from -15F to +105F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not trying to pick up a fight, but what's wrong with cheap dash cams? I've got an AutoVox A118 B40-C dash cam (~$70 off of Amazon.com) that records in 1080p HD, 170 degree recording angle and G-sensor... it has worked flawlessly for 16 months in temperatures from -15F to +105F.
The only thing that really matters about a dashcam is image quality. So the cheaper it is, the less detail it's going to record. That may be OK in good light but in dim situations with moving vehicles a cheaper model just won't pull enough resolution to allow you to recognise a number plate. Having said that, $70 is about 5X the price of the cheap ones I was thinking of ;)

Also, forget the crazy Russian videos on YT, the most useful place for a dashcam is when your car gets hit while parked with no witnesses and the other driver just drives off. In the UK that is classed as a FAULT claim. With a dashcam to ID the other driver it's a non fault with the threat of criminal proceedings against them. This would make a huge difference to how your claim was dealt with by your insurers. That tends to be a fairly expensive feature.

biggest issue is the reduced size of the 12v battery as not used to start the engine

so you need to be careful about current drain if it is going to be recording while the car is parked

Thanks - hadn't realised it's a smaller LA battery. That makes sense but could cause some complications.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's an external powerbank battery by Cellink that hooks between the 12V output and a dash cam... It's a bit pricey but claims to give up to 34hrs of run time while parked without draining the vehicle battery. New Cellink B (v.2017/01) Dash Cam Power Bank, Samsung LiFePO4, 2 years warranty
Thanks - looks good. But I'm puzzled why it's so expensive. Powerbanks are pretty cheap ATM - will investigate....

In other news - there ain't a lot of space behind the mirror.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks - looks good. But I'm puzzled why it's so expensive. Powerbanks are pretty cheap ATM - will investigate....
An off-the-shelf powerbank can either discharge or recharge but not both at the same time, meaning you'd have to plug it in to the car USB to recharge when driving, and then switch it to power the dash cam when parked. That unit does it automatically, hence the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will definitely be getting a dashcam when my Ioniq arrives... Don't mind spending money to potentially save it later on

·
Registered
461 Posts
asked my local dealer in warrington about having my nextbase dash cam hard wired in and they would't do it stating it may affect the electric wiring system on the plug in system! and invalidate warranty,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why not take a look at this sticky post:
Installation of a Thinkware F770 dashcam with rear camera

It's pretty comprehensive whatever you want to do...

I wouldn't spend too much time deciding on which dashcam to get - there are quite a lot of good ones out there at every price range. You could also look at some of the UK dashcam footage on youtube to see what the picture is like.

As someone who's had a dashcam for three years, I never thought of a crash happening to me, until earlier this year and I am glad I had one, and saved me a lot of hassle and trouble in 'submitting' my claim.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
791 Posts
asked my local dealer in warrington about having my nextbase dash cam hard wired in and they would't do it stating it may affect the electric wiring system on the plug in system! and invalidate warranty,
The trick is to leave all the original wiring and connections in place. Make no changes to the system. Make use of stack-fuses for power and acc. Make use of low value fuses to protect your connections and prevent overloading the car systems. Pickup gnd from the chassis

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
972 Posts
Hi
I would recommend near the A Pillar on the Drivers Side. The Rear View Mirror with all the sensors placed the camera in a low and off putting area. The Cam on that A Pillar up top on Drivers Side works Fab. We have done a few for customers.
[email protected] Read Motor Group Hyundai.
The UK law governing the positioning and use of Dash Cams should also be born in mind.
In summery large areas of the windscreen are "out of bounds" and it is illegal for a lit screen to be visible to the driver.
This link gives more detailed info :- https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/articles/product-placement-is-your-dash-cam-breaking-the-law

·
Registered
461 Posts
been in to the warrington dealer again, quoting there web site selling and fitting dash cams, now they are saying yes they can fit and hard wire Philips adr810 dashcam into ioniq, but cost is £212! does include 16gb sd card, but would prefer to use 32gb, Just wonder if [email protected] ReadMororGroup, could do any better on price? did ask my dealer for some discount as I did buy car from them, and quoted ownersclub/forum, but they just say they are not authorised to offer any discount! halfords offering the dashcam at £129.99, without sd card or fitting.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
972 Posts
been in to the warrington dealer again, quoting there web site selling and fitting dash cams, now they are saying yes they can fit and hard wire Philips adr810 dashcam into ioniq, but cost is £212! does include 16gb sd card, but would prefer to use 32gb, Just wonder if [email protected] ReadMororGroup, could do any better on price? did ask my dealer for some discount as I did buy car from them, and quoted ownersclub/forum, but they just say they are not authorised to offer any discount! halfords offering the dashcam at £129.99, without sd card or fitting.
If Halfords want £130 for cam alone plus another £10-15 for SD card then, at UK labour rates, I don't think £70-80 for fitting is that unreasonable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my previous car I had a single channel dash cam fitted with a Power Magic Pro which is supposed to stop the dash cam running the car's battery down below a certain level. It didn't seem to stop the car's battery from getting low enough to affect the car's systems though. When I bought the Ioniq I fitted a two channel dash cam myself and it is powered from the power outlet in the centre console. The front camera is fitted to the left of the rear view mirror such that the lens isn't behind any of the dots. (I'm in the UK) The rear camera is fitted in the centre and at the top of the top part of the rear window. Obviously the camera is only activated when the car is turned on, but given the limited size of the 12V battery and my previous experience I'm quite happy with this.

The parking activated cameras start to record events as soon as something happens to change the image. So I found that since my car is parked facing a neighbour's house which as a motion detecting door light the camera started recording every time a cat set the light off. I also found that the alarm system's LED mounted at the bottom of the windscreen would also trigger an event. Something to consider if buying a dash cam that records parking "events".

·
Registered
461 Posts
halfords charged £10 to wire in my nextbase dashcam into my last car, plus hard wire kit was £25, hyundia quote installation time 21mins, so I think they are expensive! problem is I dont want any issues with warranty if anything electrical happens, so I may just have my original Nextbase dashcam plugged into cig lighter but with wiring hidden behind trim, unless Scott comes back with better deal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Going back to your original question, here is my dashcam in position. It's a Viofo A119 with a GPS module and the self adhesive pad is in the screen frit area and, as you can probably see, does not interfere with the sensors on the rear view mirror. From the driver's seat, only the very bottom of the camera is visible so does not interfere with the view out, and the video screen cannot be seen, it times out after 15 seconds in any case. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts