Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
My friend's Ioniq EV year 2018 has a periodic error, which is that the car does not respond to the accelerator pedal for some seconds, when you want to accelerate - it hesitates to drive. For the first 3 to 5 seconds, nothing happens when you step on the accelerator. The problem does not exist from a standstill - only when the car is rolling and you want to accelerate. The problem also does not occur when adaptive cruise control is ON The workshop has almost given up on this mistake.
Hope someone knows about this and has a suggestion for a solution.
Mine has been in the shop since August 18th and is doing that limp thing. They can’t figure out the problem. They’ve duplicated the issue on every drive and are stumped. Tech Support and Engineering are involved and no one can get it fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mine has been in the shop since August 18th and is doing that limp thing. They can’t figure out the problem. They’ve duplicated the issue on every drive and are stumped. Tech Support and Engineering are involved and no one can get it fixed.
It was a pity to hear. One can hope that the error is corrected when the car's firmware is updated or the technical support finally finds the solution. As a customer, you will always be in a bad situation when you have a car with a fault that no one can correct. I will contact my friend and hear if the problem still exists on his car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have my19 and i had same pedal problem plus green ”ready to drive” light thingy blinked very fast once when using regeneraging brake, it was very annoying and happened everytime when regen happened. I sent this board dicussion link to my local hyundai repairshop and he made extra grounding from engine to ground. And allso sanded ground points for better grounding. After that, pedal works fine and no extra blinking.

Speedometer Car Vehicle Trip computer Odometer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I have had this issue for the first time yesterday, Do you have a link for the earth strap you bought by any chance?

kind regards
I don’t remember the details, but I just searched for “battery earth strap” on EBay. The site I went to had various lengths available, I bought an 18” one which was a bit marginal on length, so maybe mock it up with a bit of wire before you order. The worst part of the job was slackening the bolt on the side of the gearbox - it was really tight.

·
Registered
Ioniq EVpremium 2016
29 Posts
I don’t remember the details, but I just searched for “battery earth strap” on EBay. The site I went to had various lengths available, I bought an 18” one which was a bit marginal on length, so maybe mock it up with a bit of wire before you order. The worst part of the job was slackening the bolt on the side of the gearbox - it was really tight.
Thanks will give it a go before it gets to cold

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq EV
5 Posts
I, and others, have found that on this issue you can waste a lot of time with your dealership and get nowhere.
I had this exact issue and the dealer replaced high voltage wiring that connects the motor (to the inverter I assume). The work was done under warranty, since my car is MY2017. If I understood correctly, the importer/Hyundai are collecting data about this issue, since it’s very uncommon atleast here in Finland.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this exact issue and the dealer replaced high voltage wiring that connects the motor (to the inverter I assume). The work was done under warranty, since my car is MY2017. If I understood correctly, the importer/Hyundai are collecting data about this issue, since it’s very uncommon atleast here in Finland.
That’s interesting. Did it fix the problem? My car is also still under warranty but I got the impression that my dealership had never heard of this problem (let alone the fix) and they wanted me to book the car in for investigation. So I decided to do the earth strap mod myself. Only cost a few pounds, took maybe 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq EV
5 Posts
That’s interesting. Did it fix the problem? My car is also still under warranty but I got the impression that my dealership had never heard of this problem (let alone the fix) and they wanted me to book the car in for investigation. So I decided to do the earth strap mod myself. Only cost a few pounds, took maybe 20 minutes.
Yes, the issue was solved with the new cables. If I recall correctly, the dealer said that this issue was very rare/nonexistent in new cars that came to Finland, but is more frequent in cars that have been imported. I don’t know if they use different cabling in different markets or if this is just coincidence. I would go and book a time for investigations if you still have the issue. My car was in for a couple hours for that (I’d assume there was a lot of co-operation with the dealer and hyundai, since these cars are pretty rare here in the north). Both investigation and new cables went to warranty, no out of pocket costs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have encountered the same problem. The local dealer replaced the accelerator pedal and added an additional earth strap. However, the problem didn’t solved. Eventually, my local dealer updated the VCU firmware, the problem was solved. For your reference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have encountered the same problem. The local dealer replaced the accelerator pedal and added an additional earth strap. However, the problem didn’t solved. Eventually, my local dealer updated the VCU firmware, the problem was solved. For your reference.
Interesting. I suppose it’s just possible that the dealer connected the new earth strap to the top part of the motor, rather than the gearbox. I don’t know if this would make a difference. What year is your car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I suppose it’s just possible that the dealer connected the new earth strap to the top part of the motor, rather than the gearbox. I don’t know if this would make a difference. What year is your car?
Mine is 2018. I got no improvement after adding an additional earth strap cable actually. At last, my dealer told me Hyundai had just released the service action. It includes a VCU update and a new earth strap cable. After updating the VCU firmware, my car returned normal eventually. My dealer said the added earth strap was not the earth strap designed for this issue, they will order it from Korea and help me to install the correct one during the next service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Urgent update on this issue. I'm in the UK and have had this issue for a while. Earth cable hasn't helped, garage telling me no other fix is available, until today. It's now a recall issue:

Hope this helps any other owners. I love this car and couldn't go back to ICE, and have had a few niggles (stopped locking in charging cable meaning no ability to charge) but this one is a safety issue for me. Shame it's taken so long for Hyundai to take notice and issue the recall.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts