Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's Ioniq EV year 2018 has a periodic error, which is that the car does not respond to the accelerator pedal for some seconds, when you want to accelerate - it hesitates to drive. For the first 3 to 5 seconds, nothing happens when you step on the accelerator. The problem does not exist from a standstill - only when the car is rolling and you want to accelerate. The problem also does not occur when adaptive cruise control is ON The workshop has almost given up on this mistake.
Hope someone knows about this and has a suggestion for a solution.

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
there was a video from korea about the Ioniq before it was released in the EU, showing something similar in a carpark with the car rolling backwards on a slope between levels, my understanding was this was fixed with an ECU / HPCU firmware update

so i would get the dealer to check for any firmware updates, assuming they are a hyundai dealer and have access to GDS online mode for updates

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar issue where sometimes when only using regen to slow, stepping on the go peddle would do nothing, usually pressing the brake would make it work again, but it always felt sluggish to accelerate. 2 weeks ago my dealer had the car in for investigation over 4 days , they could not replicate the issue, and where at a loss to find a problem, then they posted this on the UK dealer forums and got a hit on a very similar issue solved by another dealer. They replaced an earth strap cable which they said went to the gearbox, 2 weeks later it has not happened again where it would happen 1 to 2 times a week at random times. Hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar issue where sometimes when only using regen to slow, stepping on the go peddle would do nothing, usually pressing the brake would make it work again, but it always felt sluggish to accelerate. 2 weeks ago my dealer had the car in for investigation over 4 days , they could not replicate the issue, and where at a loss to find a problem, then they posted this on the UK dealer forums and got a hit on a very similar issue solved by another dealer. They replaced an earth strap cable which they said went to the gearbox, 2 weeks later it has not happened again where it would happen 1 to 2 times a week at random times. Hope this helps
Thanks a lot for your respons - we will present the ground cable fault to our workshop. They are usually very careful and skilled regarding troubleshooting. On my own Ioniq 28 - 2018, I myself have had challenges with poor ground connection. It is about the ground connection to the gear switch box that sits on the center console. An extra ground cable has been established and there have also been grounding problems with the multi-plug that sits under the change box. If these ground connections are not OK, then you can not change gears and the car is locked in P.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The cable they replaced was under the bonnet i believe, I found a cable running from the wing in front of the 12v battery across and disapearing into the engine area that looked much cleaner than all the others Will post an image later

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cable they replaced was under the bonnet i believe, I found a cable running from the wing in front of the 12v battery across and disapearing into the engine area that looked much cleaner than all the others Will post an image later
Thanks again - a picture will be a great help. Thanks in advance.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here are the pictures, I am only guessing that this is the one as where it is fixed to the inner wing the end is not corroded like the cable under it. i have included a picture of where it is fixed to the motor, sorry it is a bit deep down and could not focus when zoomed in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are the pictures, I am only guessing that this is the one ad where it is fixed to the inner wing the end is not corroded loke the cable under it. i have included a picture of where it is fixed to the motor, sorry it is a bit deep down and could not focus when zoomed in.
Thanks a lot - the pictures will be helpfull - and, yes - it seems like a brand new cable that has been added to the wing bolt.
OPDATE: I have now looked on my own Ioniq and found that it has only one cable at the shown place - so therefore: an extra cable has been added on your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting I had never taken much notice of the cables before so was not sure if it was new or a replacement

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No - neither have I. Can you explain in some way where the other end of the cable is fixed? I supposed it should be somewhere on the reduction gear box - or on the motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The last photo I posted it is fixed where the yellow arrow is, its quite low down ,the part it is fixed to is a flat surface on a small section that faces to the right when standing in front of the fan, I will try to get a better picture later

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The last photo I posted it is fixed where the yellow arrow is, its quite low down ,the part it is fixed to is a flat surface on a small section that faces to the right when standing in front of the fan, I will try to get a better picture later
Thanks a lot. I think the latest photo is OK - I can see the black cable as well - so it will be just fine. All though the problem is on my friends Ioniq I think I will put a similar cable on my own car.
By the way: Are you on Facebook on the group: Hyundai Ioniq Electric?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any update, did this earth cable install fix the issue?
No, not yet - I have forwarded your information to my friend. I have not talked to him for while - but I will return if I get any information regarding installing the cable and if it has solved the problem.
So - I will return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My friend's Ioniq EV year 2018 has a periodic error, which is that the car does not respond to the accelerator pedal for some seconds, when you want to accelerate - it hesitates to drive. For the first 3 to 5 seconds, nothing happens when you step on the accelerator. The problem does not exist from a standstill - only when the car is rolling and you want to accelerate. The problem also does not occur when adaptive cruise control is ON The workshop has almost given up on this mistake.
Hope someone knows about this and has a suggestion for a solution.
I’ve experienced exactly the same thing, a couple of times, since I bought my 2017 Ioniq a few weeks ago. I thought I’d maybe inadvertently let my foot slip off the accelerator pedal, but now I’m sure it really happened. Last time was when I was entering a fast roundabout so potentially dangerous, as well as embarrassing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Talk to your dealer, if they need any info on my car they can contact w m Cooper's in St. Albans Hertfordshire they fixed mine with the earth strap, 3 weeks later and no reoccurrence

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this cable replaced under warranty yesterday. The dealer (Motorfair, Birmingham) said they had two previous customers with the same issue.
I found that when engaging the brake (the actual brake, not regen) at low speed, the accelerator would very occasionally (like once every 100+ miles) not respond until touching the brake again.
My dealer replaced the cable in 12 minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts