Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have not had DAB radio before then it is very patchy in general in the UK when driving. All ours car we have/had with DAB radio perform pretty much identically. There is a nearby village in a valley and one street in the nearby town where DAB drops out in each car including the Ioniq 5. The Ioniq is no better or worse for DAB reception.

CJ

·
Registered
52 Posts
DAB works on a higher frequency than normal FM which has greater propagation loss plus it uses much greater bandwidth of radio spectrum.
And this must be compensated by either denser network of transmitters or by more powerful transmitters. But where signal is sufficient it can pay off by much greater audio quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have noticed that both DAB and FM is significantly worse than any other car I have had recently. I was even thinking that I need to get them to check the aerial was connected properly

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ve not tried FM, but DAB reception is certainly worse than in my previous few cars. I’ve just done a 20 mile trip into town and back where I’ve never had problems before and I had half a dozen drop outs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, TuneIn is a temporary solution.
If many Ioniq5 have significantly worse DAB and FM reception it needs to be investigated why and fixed.
Maybe the antenna is bad / underperforms or there is some problem with built in radio receiver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've also fallen out with the sat nav. I decided to trust it and it took me on a road that was narrower than the car and almost scratched my Matt paint. I was fuming for an hour and now will just use Android Auto for everything and get a wireless dongle as they didn't manage to include the latest hardware!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've also fallen out with the sat nav. I decided to trust it and it took me on a road that was narrower than the car and almost scratched my Matt paint. I was fuming for an hour and now will just use Android Auto for everything and get a wireless dongle as they didn't manage to include the latest hardware!
What dongle will you use mate?

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 2021, Special Edition LR RWD, Galactic Grey
91 Posts
Re DAB performance: Mine is working flawlessly, equally as good as in my previous cars with factory installed DAB receivers. The only (short) drop-outs I experience is in some tunnels, same as with my previous cars.

Here in Norway we only have DAB available (actually DAB+), only small local stations still broadcast on FM.

Re Sat Nav: Does Android Auto provide a way to set the dimensions (Width, Heigth, Length, Weighth) of your car? I think you would need that functionality to avoid getting your matte paint scratched. Without being able to set these restrictions, any Sat Nav will take direct you on any public road according to your other navigation preferences (fastest route, shortes route, avoid motorways etc.). I've come across foreign trucks/trailers on roads where they never should have been just because their Sat Nav told them to take that (not so optimal) route.

In my motorhome I have a Garmin navigator that knows the dimensions of my car, and it will give me guidance to avoid too narrow roads or bridges that are too low.

To my understanding, the Sat Nav in I5 is TomTom based, and I believe TomTom have the same functionality. Maybe giving feedback to Hyundai will eventually enable this feature in the I5 as well?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re DAB performance: Mine is working flawlessly, equally as good as in my previous cars with factory installed DAB receivers. The only (short) drop-outs I experience is in some tunnels, same as with my previous cars.

Here in Norway we only have DAB available (actually DAB+), only small local stations still broadcast on FM.

Re Sat Nav: Does Android Auto provide a way to set the dimensions (Width, Heigth, Length, Weighth) of your car? I think you would need that functionality to avoid getting your matte paint scratched. Without being able to set these restrictions, any Sat Nav will take direct you on any public road according to your other navigation preferences (fastest route, shortes route, avoid motorways etc.). I've come across foreign trucks/trailers on roads where they never should have been just because their Sat Nav told them to take that (not so optimal) route.

In my motorhome I have a Garmin navigator that knows the dimensions of my car, and it will give me guidance to avoid too narrow roads or bridges that are too low.

To my understanding, the Sat Nav in I5 is TomTom based, and I believe TomTom have the same functionality. Maybe giving feedback to Hyundai will eventually enable this feature in the I5 as well?
You don't need to explicitly avoid roads with Google as it has better algorithms and more speed data. I thought I would give the hyundai system a go as it includes traffic data but still sent me on a tiny road which Google avoided when I checked the route after.

Re DAB It may be the cars are all European spec and I belive the arial needs to be mounted differently in the UK. I think I have read somewhere we have different polarised signals and early BMWs also had problems. I can't find anything on Google so I may be completely wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re DAB It may be the cars are all European spec and I belive the arial needs to be mounted differently in the UK. I think I have read somewhere we have different polarised signals and early BMWs also had problems. I can't find anything on Google so I may be completely wrong.
My last two BMW’s suffered from bad DAB, the Ioniq5 is 10x worse unfortunately!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
My TomTom took me down some extremely narrow roads while we were in Cornwall last Summer. I still found it much better than Google Maps via phone for long journeys as its routing logic aroynd traffic was much better, perhaps partly from having better traffic knowledge. On one recent occasion the TomTom route was a whole hour better than google maps for a Birmingham to Dorset run. Personallt very pleased in-built satnav uses tomtom traffic data.

CJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't need to explicitly avoid roads with Google as it has better algorithms and more speed data. I thought I would give the hyundai system a go as it includes traffic data but still sent me on a tiny road which Google avoided when I checked the route after.

Any news on Hyundai resolving the DAB issue?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts