Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey all, I seem to be having a similar issue, first it was the "o2" sensor, (1408 miles.) Now, one week later, it's "faulty injectors." (1749 miles.)

Is this all they need to replace?

Or are they going to replace my injectors and then I have issues again because they didn't replace all that needed to be replaced with the injectors?

#teamaggravated

17' Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, limited.
My issues occur/occurred heavily after each fueling and struggles to make it up steep inclines. Heavy start and when passing on the motorways! I have used different fuel stations each time, and gas is not the issue.

The issues can be described as, when ICE initiates, the engine shudders, hesitates, jerks and sometimes almost stalls when from starting motion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update:
Just got off the phone with my local service department. Technician stated the fuel injectors were replaced, upon testing the vehicle the issue still occurred (hesitation, jerking, shuddering.)

Tomorrow they are going to replace the o2 sensor again, the fuel injectors again from what I understand and then do a test run again. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

However, As i have seen on other post on this forum, other vehicles have had these very same issues and misdiagnosing problems and ended up replacing the cylinder head. I mentioned that to my service representative and he is going to relay that information to Hyundai technical support or whoever at Hyundai they have to go through to complete the diagnosing and task's at hand through warranty etc.

Hopefully I will have better news tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have kept the records indicating the mechanical failures and if this issue keeps reoccurring after they fix the problem tomorrow, I will be talking to my sales guy at the dealer to go through the right channels to replace the vehicle with similar which they have to do from what I understand under my state's lemon law here in the states!

Hopefully it won't come to that, I love my Ioniq, just not these issues!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Updated on my own thread, but figured I would update here as well:

This has been nothing short of a nightmare.

Picked up the vehicle Friday after they replaced all fuel injectors and the oxygen sensor again. Service department said they had driven the vehicle three times no issues.

A few miles later first hesitation occurred. Continued on the drive home, C.E.L. re-appeared, with first diagnostic messages saying there had been problem with the engine control module, second saying my vehicle had multiple issues and to schedule a service at my convenience, just like the previous two times these mechanical failures occurred. Soon after, My ioniq hybrid started jerking and hesitating worse than before and could barely hold 30mph. Pulled over, vehicle kept misfiring and almost dying, finally made it to a well-lit parking lot and called roadside, was too afraid to get on the highway with it. Roadside arrived an hour later, after calling and being extremely rude to me. This all happened within three hours of just picking up the "fixed" vehicle from the service department at my local Hyundai dealer.

The next day I went to pick up a loaner and the service department hadn't even received the vehicle in the allotted time the tow truck driver stated that it would arrive (between 9 and 10am.) I became suspicious and called the local towing company and it just so happened that the blue-link representative handling my occurrence forgot to put the codes in to have the vehicle towed from the storage lot that it had to stay at overnight back to the dealer. Called blue-link around 12pm and they said they took care of it and would send a confirmation of it getting where it needed to go. Six hours later, no confirmation, called blue-link AGAIN (around 6pm), and they had still not corrected the issue. So my representative (Vanessa) finally handled it personally and states she has got the job done. We will find out. My vehicle sits in a storage lot until monday at 8am because of Blue-link having communication/representative issues.

I am so distraught, I do not know what to do, I have contacted Hyundai Motor Group America through multiple channels and I get no responses. To name a few, Email, Facebook, Instagram, and now Snapchat. I just want my car fixed, I love the vehicle, but no one at the service department can seem to diagnose the problem. It also seems the regional rep is completely unconcerned and unaware of the same issue occurring on multiple other vehicles like mine. I have told the service department at my local Hyundai about the cylinder head issues I see on this forum and I feel their hands are tied through the warranty reps and regional managers on what to do. Im losing trust that my vehicle is going to be fixed in a quality, up to speed manner.

I purchased a new vehicle a month ago, and its been in the shop 3 out of the 4 weeks Ive had it and still has less than two thousand miles on the odometer. (1822 to be exact.) Im so tired of loaner vehicles that have the bare minimum of options when I purchased a fully loaded vehicle, my first payment comes up this month and I haven't even driven the vehicle for one solid week.

This is a disaster, I love Hyundai, but they need to right this issue... It's certainly out of hand. Hyundai Owners assurance pledge is to have "exceptional customer service and owner satisfaction." Im hopeful that eventually this pledge will come through... They also state that "Our goal is to give you one-on-one, personalized service and provide you with the best possible solution in the shortest amount of time. That’s our commitment to you" Im not sure what's going on, but I certainly do not feel they back this claim at this point in time. Its extremely disheartening, because I truly do believe in Hyundai. They have always provided my family with quality, service and care. Until now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey everyone, just picked up the vehicle today! They called an engineer in from out of state it seems to look at my vehicle. It's been hooked up to a diagnostic computer, sat idle and driven while on the computer to read what was going on. Iggy went in with 1822 returned with 1916. So I know they were definitely driving and testing. The service rep states that the engineer determined it was a faulty "mass air flow sensor" after running all of the test.

Anyway, so far so good since pick up today! No jerking, shuddering or hesitation in ICE mode. Returning 48-58mpg. Happy to be back in my vehicle and hoping it is fully fixed this time and no more issues will occur!

"Amy" the HMA customer rep never returned my my call back once over the course of a week, or even replied to any of the emails. Left a voicemail twice during that period returning her call. She is the most unprofessional communicator I have ever dealt with, and will be calling HMA to file a complaint against her.

I've never been ugly about the situation to anyone involved, I love my service department and they have went above and beyond to take care of me each time to try and diagnose the car through tech line support and warranty at Hyundai motor America. I'm not sure why my HMA rep ignores me, each voice mail has been pleasant and personable.

Hopefully, after I talk to another manager about her unprofessionalism and disclose what happened with my vehicle, my tech line customer service, the misdiagnosing and other issues, it won't be as bad or take as long to diagnose for anyone else with an Ioniq with similar issues.

Hyundai has been my preferred brand for a LONG time, unfortunately personally dealing with corporate America Hyundai as well as blue link this occurrence, was completely disappointing.

I have all of my personal documentation of conversations, mechanical failures etc., and copies of each diagnosing and reoccurrence of engine failure. So if the issue re-occurs, I have means to go forward with replacing the vehicle through my states lemon law. Hope it doesn't come to that, because, y'all I just love this car!!! If it does, it'll be another Ioniq.

Happy motoring!

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
glad its sorted, keep an eye on it for the next few weeks, if you have no issue by new year if think you should be good :)

MAF sensor was one of my guesses :)

MAF sensor measures the volume of air being drawn into the engine so the ECU can work out the correct volume of fuel to inject into the cylinder for optimum power / efficiency (roughly 14:1) it normally has a temperature sensor in it as well as the temperature affect the number of "air" molecules in a given volume, the ECU normally has a pressure / altitude sensor as well

so you can see it is quite a complex calculation, taking into account volume, temp and pressure to work out the amount of fuel required

·
Registered
453 Posts
obviously a dumb question but I am new to the ioniq, what is a "CEL"?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

So....

The other day, It continued. Same problems... jerking, shuddering and hesitating (misfiring) while gas engine (ICE) is engaged. It happened after I got fuel... Again at a totally different gas station, like each time getting fuel.
Losing faith in my vehicle at this point. 2,345 miles on the odometer. This will be it’s 4th time in the service shop at my dealership, since I purchased it a month and a half ago. It's now been in the dealership 23 days since I took ownership on November 6th....

Shortly after starting the recurring issues the same diagnostic messages came on... The first reading "a problem with the engine control system," and the second "multiple possible conditions have occurred."

I have officially started the buy back procedures with Hyundai Motor America in hopes to replace my vehicle with another one just like it, my service manager and representative encouraged me to do so... They further have no clue what's going on with my ioniq.

Not sure how much more information I will be allowed to disclose in the future legally... but just thought you all might want to know that it occurred again. From what my service manager says, the process with Hyundai motor america will give me two or three different options once the process starts and should really go above and beyond to help me.

Currently in an auto start/stop 17' Chevrolet Malibu. Hoping this all works out quickly and smoothly.... because this grocery getting Malibu is the worst. haha.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
sorry to hear you are going through the buy back process, not a good Christmas present (unless first day back they call you to say you have a new car :) :) )

let us know how it goes, just so we can see the time the process takes without revealing anything that will affect the process

hopefully you will have a better new year

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Plugin and i have been experiencing for past 8 months (almost for 30,000 km). Dealership is dealing with for 8 months and they are implementing whatever HiTech (Hyundai Canada's outsourced company to look after all issues). They have reach to a point where they might replace car's short block engine but they are still collecting more data and its been 8 months now. This experience is so frustrating. Just hoping to get this resolved really soon so i can enjoy my car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the IDENTICAL issue.. Cylinder 3 misfire P0303 error..
It started after I stepped on the gas quite hard.. Argh! I am so upset now..
Mine is continuous - the car vibrates and shakes like crazy even on idle.
I cleaned all spark plugs it did not help. But the 3rd spark plug was all black.

Mine is a non-plugin hybrid of 2018.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Followup: I switched the spark plugs between cylinder 2 and 3.. And the ODB code changed to "Cylinder 2 problem" :) I am very happy that it's just a spark plug that stopped working..

41 - 58 of 58 Posts