Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I hope Hyundai UK solve this issue soon. IMHO Hyundai UK should have a hotline for new owners if they face similar problems and should be sorting these issues.

I don't think that its fair for a new owner ( who has spent well over 20k GBP) to have to fight /negotiate with their dealer before anything is done.

I got my car in mid June in the IOM and had several prospective customers for Hyundai (our population is only 85k by the way).

I had directed all of them to this forum and now the nett result is that at least two of them have bought cars from other brands .(One got a Merc and the other got a BMW .). .

Not impressed with my Local dealer in IOM ( I had test driven the car in the UK ) and did not get any response from the IOM dealer after my initial email to the dealer.

I had to finally go to the dealer after waiting for several days and order the car from the dealer:-(

Its very embarrassing for Hyundai (I know that they have started online orders but not for the Ioniq in the Uk AFAIK ) but they have lost several prospective customers due to this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Latest update is the car is still in the dealers but the spare part has arrived and is being fitted. The issue was a faulty cylinder head and I believe this is a major manufacturing flaw that every Ioniq owner should be aware of. I'm waiting for Hyundai to contact the dealership to see what happens, but looking at the head and the flaw, I wouldn't be surprised if this results in a recall. I have pictures of the issue but I will wait until the car is back and the issue is fully resolved before posting them.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Well, the higher mileage users like bluecar1 and I would likely have uncovered the issue by now it was rampant - the fact that it isn't being repeated either on this forum or others suggest that what you have is a one-off issue rather than a recall-worthy problem. But keen to know what it is.

Doesn't help you and your problem I know, but you make a good point about how one-make and specific-interest forums can highlight ineptitude from a dealer on the IOM to a prospective new purchaser in Southwold - or San Francisco!

Hyundai would be well advised to get a grip on social media if they truly hope to achieve the global goals they just announced. By now I would have expected the occasional dabble in the forum from a Hyundai representative. usually from the marketing dept, but with some title like `Technical Coordinator` to convince us we are being heard. Not saying they need to be camped on here permanently, but monitoring forums is really the first step toward understanding the customer base and heading off problems at the pass, these days.

That being said, sometimes they see all, but stay silent... :|

FWIW I have no complaints about the service from my dealer, or Hyundai UK, so possibly the issue isn't necessarily Hyundais fault, although it most definitely is their problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, the higher mileage users like bluecar1 and I would likely have uncovered the issue by now it was rampant - the fact that it isn't being repeated either on this forum or others suggest that what you have is a one-off issue rather than a recall-worthy problem. But keen to know what it is.

Doesn't help you and your problem I know, but you make a good point about how one-make and specific-interest forums can highlight ineptitude from a dealer on the IOM to a prospective new purchaser in Southwold - or San Francisco!

Hyundai would be well advised to get a grip on social media if they truly hope to achieve the global goals they just announced. By now I would have expected the occasional dabble in the forum from a Hyundai representative. usually from the marketing dept, but with some title like `Technical Coordinator` to convince us we are being heard. Not saying they need to be camped on here permanently, but monitoring forums is really the first step toward understanding the customer base and heading off problems at the pass, these days.

That being said, sometimes they see all, but stay silent... :|

FWIW I have no complaints about the service from my dealer, or Hyundai UK, so possibly the issue isn't necessarily Hyundais fault, although it most definitely is their problem.
Hi SEvens,
I will post pictures when I have the car back, I know the issue is resolved and see what Hyundai have to say, but the issue is suspected to be related to the machining of the head. There are 4 machined (cast?) ports in each cylinder for the valves. Cylinders 1, 2 and 4 have all ports machined to a depth of approx 40 mm, cylinder 3 has three ports machined to 40 mm, and one to approx 20 mm (excuse the lack of accuracy, I was using fingers to gauge the depth!) The shallow port appears to be worn internally somehow, and when viewed from the other side of the head (not sure if it is on the inlet or exhaust outlet) clearly shows two openings per cylinder on cylinders 1, 2 and 4, but only one opening on cylinder 3. Given that these heads will be mass produced, I would be surprised if it has only occurred on this one head.
The issue only shows when full acceleration occurs, such as passing a lorry on the motorway and is repeatable, but would not have shown itself if the car was not under full load. Hope this gives some reasoning behind my concern that other cars may have this issue but which may not yet have been discovered. I do hope that it is just limited to our car.....

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Well, if it is suspected to have occurred on more than one head then inspection would be mandated, not necessarily a recall. But as I said, if it was more than a one-off the owner would have noticed it, even if the dealer didn't.

Most curious indeed. Could simply be a tooling head issue - the automated tools used for the machining need replacing at intervals.

I can see how it might have been missed during manufacturing inspection, but it is interesting it wasn't picked up on the test rig - when surely they test to wide open throttle (WOT)?

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
two issues spring to mind

why was it not picked up by automated measurement / inspection after machining?

I doubt the valves are machine inserted, so why was it not picked up in head assembly?

both of which are quality control issues

if it has happened once it could happen again, unless this was a one off and QC procedures have now been improved (you would hope)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We have the car back, it was in for 7 weeks in total. It seems to be running normally now, and although it is still early, the fuel consumption appears to have improved by about 25%. Here are the pictures as promised. (The originals are too large so I have had to reduce the quality, sorry)

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm glad everything's fixed now and you can enjoy Ioniq the way it was meant to be enjoyed :)

That said, I cannot understand how such QA flop could've happened. It's one thing there be a slight difference, like 0,2mm, but whole 2cm of cast not being removed is unbelievable.

Good thing Hyundai's warranty took good care of the car and you.

Wishing you a lot of maintenance-free miles from here on! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Misfire Cylinder 4

Well, I got a CEL at 2100kms....
Took it early to dealer and he got that there was a misfire in Cylinder 4.
Yesterday I went out to my car after it sat all day and I used the remote starter and saw black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Which I never thought was good.
Mine is an Ioniq Hybrid gas electric.

I have my Appt at the dealer tomorrow to see...

I took a video this morning and again saw the black smoke.

I wonder if the original poster saw black exhaust.

I will update.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Norm, generally black smoke = oil. Possibly a piston ring.
Sorry to hear of your woes - keep us informed!

·
Registered
776 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
@SEvans

I thought black smoke was unburnt fuel and white smoke was oil / piston rings / valve stem seals?
True for old school engines with carbs and early EFI systems. Modern HP DFI doesn't allow the unburnt fuel (and blue smoke) and the really low viscosity oils show a whitish smoke (well `considerably less blue`) under the same conditions. Either way it's a head-off mechanical job not a `plug-in-and-adjust-a-few-parameters` job... and on these cars any smoke is a sign to return to dealer.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Normally you shouldnt see exhaust gas colors
White is normal heat condensation at cold ambient temp.
Blue is burning oil, smells terrible.
Back is oil and coolant indicating a possible leak cylinder head gasket. Check the top of your radiator for oil floating in the coolant. Engine is running very bad.

Dont have other colors in automotive land.Blue and black are detrimental in the long term so get it fixed asap.Very likely your EMS already alarms you.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
seen black on fuel injected engines, to much fuel for the air mix (poor remap), or not igniting the fuel every cycle leading to too much fuel in the cylinder

seem to recall something about faulty injectors on another Ioniq engine and also coil packs

either way back to dealer for investigation

·
Registered
776 Posts
seen black on fuel injected engines, to much fuel for the air mix (poor remap), or not igniting the fuel every cycle leading to too much fuel in the cylinder

seem to recall something about faulty injectors on another Ioniq engine and also coil packs

either way back to dealer for investigation
Right. Black is also exhausted by lpg engines with faulty injectors. Incomplete combustion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Only justr seen the last few posts - Sorry, no smoke from ours as far as I could see, just drove like a learner kangarooing down the road. No problems since, and MPG has increased substantially :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks everyone...
Clamdiver I would have expected with the problem you had that there would have been black exhaust.
I only noticed because I remote started as I was walking to the car in my works parking lot.

Went to dealer today, did not get anywhere with them. The code was not present, the car was driven there and was probably OK warm and they could not see the black exhaust.

I've had no problems with the car, engine running rough, etc. I've just had a CEL and have noticed something that I consider not up to snuff with the exhaust.

Be optimistic...

It's a car it could have problems and it might be a dream car with no problems at all.
(I had one of those a Subaru Forester, it lasted 9 years until the transmission, head gasket and catalytic converter all crapped out at the same time, dealer gave me $2000 CDN for it on trade)

21 - 40 of 58 Posts