Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with misfires? I was overtaking on the motorway in my wife's 6 month old Ioniq HEV and it started to shudder and the engine emission light came on. The OBD said cylinder 3 misfire, so it went back to the dealer for an official diagnosis (which took nearly 3 weeks for the appointment!). After nearly 2 hours in the workshop I was told it was an intermittent fault causing cylinder 3 to misfire, but as it wasn't doing it then, all they could do was hand it back for me to monitor. I left the garage a little disappointed, only to become extremely disappointed after a quick blast up the motorway 10 mins later to find the fault came back worse and was no longer intermittent! Back to the dealer it went and she's currently in a courtesy car until they receive and fit new injectors to all cylinders. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
welcome clamdiver

please introduce yourself over on the New Member Introductions - Hyundai Ioniq Forum thread and fill in you rough location in your profile as it makes helping you easier

sorry to here you have a misfire issue, this is the first one we have heard of

you say the car is 6 months old? what mileage is it up to?

which country are you in as we a spread all round the world most are in Europe, but now cars are landing in US / Canada they're catching up fast

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bluecar1,
sorry, should have said. I'm in Lancashire, UK, the car is a Premium SE and only has about 2500 miles todate. It has already been in once for an amber Regenerative Brake Warning together with a red Brake Warning, which turned out to be just low brake fluid. Hopefully this should be the last time it is in until its service.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
full set of injectors seems a little extreme, I would have pulled the spark plugs on cylinder 3 first, had a look at condition etc

have you recently filled it up? thinking possibly dodgy / contaminated fuel if you filled up last 100 miles?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
full set of injectors seems a little extreme, I would have pulled the spark plugs on cylinder 3 first, had a look at condition etc

have you recently filled it up? thinking possibly dodgy / contaminated fuel if you filled up last 100 miles?
Injectors being replaced does seem a pretty extreme fix without checking the plugs - and more importantly the leads - first.
Unless there was something reported on the diagnostics, of course.

Reactions: clamdiver

·
Registered
344 Posts
Once it's covered under warranty, I'd be pretty happy with them replacing all of the injectors at no cost of mine. It is extreme, but at least you know they'll all wear the same way. I would think they would have checked the plugs first though which is what prompted the whole injector facade.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Injectors being replaced does seem a pretty extreme fix without checking the plugs - and more importantly the leads - first.
Unless there was something reported on the diagnostics, of course.
It's possible that there's a TSB out for this that we don't yet have knowledge of already. Not always do those get out, I don't even think there's a resource we can go for them. Its always been a case of owners asking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, here is an update....
apparently they pulled the plus and they were wet, they spoke to Hyundai and were told it was the injectors. They arrived last Wednesday, 5 days after taking the car in, but they didn't fit them until today (Friday) as the seals, clips and nuts only came today. Picked the car up at 5pm, took it for a drive up the motorway to the next junction and back, then straight back to the dealers hoping they were still open, to tell them they still had the same issue.... I was told they road tested it and it was fine? Not sure what their road test consisted of. Waiting for the manager to get back to us now. I'm thinking coil pack, just glad I'm not paying.
At the moment, not impressed with the Ioniq or the service. Had to constantly chase, we leave messages but no one gets back to us, spent 3 days going to and from dealers and hanging round as it's never ready when they say. Not happy to say the least... ?

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
so many things it could be

if the plug is wet then possibly the injector, wet plug could indicate something more fundamental, bottom line is the fuel is not getting ignited, basics are compression low? (scored bore, sticky valve, valve sealing or valve timing issues) , lack of spark or week spark? as well as possible wiring loom issues to name a few off the top of my head

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, if I was fixing it that's the sort of troubleshooting I would go through. Try swapping plugs, leads, coil packs etc to see if the issue moves to anther cylinder, and all free to do, but the dealer seems to just contact Hyundai and swap parts out. I bet the car was sat there for four working days, with no one working on it. They could have done a lot of checks during that period instead of just waiting for parts to arrive. I would do it differently but that's what the warranty is for- so I don't have to!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on the misfire issue...
The car is still in the dealers, almost 3 weeks now. They rang to say they have checked for fuel contamination and fuel blockages amongst other things, but suspect the injectors are faulty. Apparently, all 4 new injectors are part of the bad batch that were originally fitted to the car when it was manufactured 8 months+ ago? I find this highly unlikely.
They have had the Hyundai technician into the dealers and they now suspect a valve issue, so we have been told they need the car for longer to strip down and replace the valves. We have a Nissan Juke as a courtesy car at the moment, but not entirely happy with it, so we requested a like for like car from the dealer. I received a call from a third party stating they can provide a car, but we need to pay a deposit, plus £5 per day per additional driver, so £10 per day which we need to pay out! I rejected the offer and we are now stuck with a car with no real definitive diagnosis, that will have been stripped down and rebuilt a number of times, and a courtesy car we aren't happy with. We are not happy. Seriously regretting going down the Hyundai route.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I don't see how a valve problem can cause an intermittent misfire, under the same conditions and the same load it should do the same thing every time. But that's just me.

If it was a valve problem then you'd have noticed a massive rise in fuel consumption, as well as other running issues.

Seems to me it shouldn't take three weeks to check these things - its a `delve deeper` troubleshoot: Put car on ramp; Test the ECU; test the injectors on the diagnostics; test the fuel and feed, reverse flush the pipes; delve deeper to test for mechanical issues.
One day on the ramp.
If no cause or solution found, escalate to Hyundai. A week for the whole thing, start to finish.

At this point I would be tempted to go with Sale of Goods Act complaint via the dealer, to allow them to escalate to Hyundai. If a member of the RAC or AA they have their own engineers who can carry out an assessment - and they tend to be VERY good engineers. This will give you the ammo for arguing for a replacement vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, it should be sorted within a week. It was described as intermittent, but I managed to reproduce it under the same conditions, i.e. acceleration up to 70mph. They are talking about replacing the whole head now, which, if it is the issue, is better than stripping down and replacing a single valve. We were RAC members, but the Hyundai came with breakdown cover, so we let the RAC cover lapse. Hindsight is great isn't it? ?
I would be thinking of a replacement vehicle too, but with the change in vehicle excuse duty here in the UK we would either have to accept a second hand vehicle registered before April 2017, or accept that a new vehicle would cost us £140 in VED each year. This is the first brand new vehicle we have had, so I'm reluctant to swap it for a second hand one we don't know the history of, and not to keen on giving the government an additional £140 each year, given that one of the reasons we bought this car was the £0 VED, otherwise we would have had a Kia!!

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
not a good update, I would be incline to start the conversation with the dealer about the process of rejecting the car as it is clearly a issue they are having trouble getting to the root cause of

may be see if you can negotiate something along the lines of a couple of free services to compensate you for the VED if the car is replaced with a new one

have you contacted Hyundai UK customer services may be worth a call

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Make it a civilised conversation with Hyundai UK customer services and stress concern with time and unfixed car, not `blame laying` - they may have a lot more discretion than the dealer when it comes to customer offers, but do mention you are thinking about rejecting under SOGA as more than reasonable time and access has been given to find and fix the problem.
Let them gently escalate and you never know...

When I worked for a UK importer of bikes and managed the warranty claims we ONLY properly managed claims from those who were pleasant and genuine. The rest could go f*** themselves. And before anyone judges me too harshly, more than 75% of the warranty claims we dealt with were `operator error`.

This clearly isn't, and a bit of pleasantry now could be highly advantageous as it's a new model for Hyundai, part of a 21-model range they plan across the HEV/PHEV/EV range and they don't want adverse publicity from untraceable faults.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
yep as above, it was why I said "start the conversation"

just a gentle and polite conversation that you are thinking of may be looking into rejecting the car as you have lost confidence in it and they don't seem to be able to get to the root of the issue in a reasonable time and have had several attempts to find the cause already (injectors, fuel and now head?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice Bluecar1 and SEvans. I will see what they give me back this time. We are away for a short break soon, so hopefully it will be all fixed by the time we get back. I would probably not have been too diplomatic if we came back to the same, or indeed another fault, but I will bear your comments in mind and I'm sure I will get a better response that way! ? Glad I came across this forum, some good stuff in here ?

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
no point screaming at them as in many respects they can only do warranty work which is authorised by Hyundai uk, so it comes down to the old thing of don't shoot the messenger

I think the process is you have to inform the finance company of your wish to reject the car as they are the people you have the contract with, the dealer may be able to point you in the right direction if not your local citizens advice centre

you will likely need evidence in the form of copies of any communications about the faults and repair attempts, keep notes of any phone calls , dates, times, who you spoke to, basics of the conversations

hopefully it won't come to it, but sometimes mention of the process can help focus attention :)

I do know Hyundai monitor this forum, as I have had contact when I had issues when I was researching the Ioniq and was given incorrect information by a dealer before the launch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure if its a better position or a worse one, but there is no finance agreement, basically a cash sale, so I would have to talk directly to Hyundai customer service....

1 - 20 of 58 Posts