Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an instance of this on Saturday night. Wondering if it is a temporary software glitch or a steering wheel button problem. Coming off motorway I tried to deselect cruise control by cycling the steering wheel button through speed limit and off as I usually do, but all that happened was that it stuck in speed limit mode and refused to respond further. Tried the lower button marked with a circle to no avail.Finally switched car off, and then switched it on again and the problem had disappeared. Tried cruise control twice more and it engaged and disengaged in the normal way.
Any thoughts? I am going into the dealer on Thursday for a Media software upgrade.I rang Hyundai UK to see if they would intervene in obtaining the car software and firmware upgrade too, but they were distinctly unhelpful. I mentioned the pertinent comments on this forum(that is not an official Hyundai forum sir,so the comments may not be valid). I have been waiting 3 hours already for a call back from Hyundai UK after insisting that she rang the dealer concerned, because I wasn't happy with her suggestion that I go to a dealer that had already performed the upgrades according to the forum.Customer Service is the name of the department( for me so far, a misnomer)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I had an instance of this on Saturday night. Wondering if it is a temporary software glitch or a steering wheel button problem. Coming off motorway I tried to deselect cruise control by cycling the steering wheel button through speed limit and off as I usually do, but all that happened was that it stuck in speed limit mode and refused to respond further. Tried the lower button marked with a circle to no avail.Finally switched car off, and then switched it on again and the problem had disappeared. Tried cruise control twice more and it engaged and disengaged in the normal way.
Any thoughts? I am going into the dealer on Thursday for a Media software upgrade.I rang Hyundai UK to see if they would intervene in obtaining the car software and firmware upgrade too, but they were distinctly unhelpful. I mentioned the pertinent comments on this forum(that is not an official Hyundai forum sir,so the comments may not be valid). I have been waiting 3 hours already for a call back from Hyundai UK after insisting that she rang the dealer concerned, because I wasn't happy with her suggestion that I go to a dealer that had already performed the upgrades according to the forum.Customer Service is the name of the department( for me so far, a misnomer)
Well, the facts are that there are several ways to cancel the Cruise Control:
1: Use the brakes
2: Use the `o` button on the steering wheel
3: Scroll through the menu option until the cruise/limiter is no longer lit.

You don't mention the first, but certainly you need to get to the bottom of why the other two methods didn't work. Although I also had a `lockout` on my previous Hybrid when it wouldn't move from the Limiter mode - but I didn't have cruise control active at the time, and it was easily overridden by using the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well, the facts are that there are several ways to cancel the Cruise Control:
1: Use the brakes
2: Use the `o` button on the steering wheel
3: Scroll through the menu option until the cruise/limiter is no longer lit.

You don't mention the first, but certainly you need to get to the bottom of why the other two methods didn't work. Although I also had a `lockout` on my previous Hybrid when it wouldn't move from the Limiter mode - but I didn't have cruise control active at the time, and it was easily overridden by using the brake pedal.
Another method would be moving the shifter into Neutral.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did use the brakes, several times, whilst trying to get the Speed Limit symbol to disappear from the display, without success.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Terrible, terrible "Smart cruise control" We were in Poland a month ago and we used to drive one-year-old VW golf in our holiday. it was hugely different, very smooth Smart Cruise Control, I loved how it works, I can rely on, but Hyundai ioniq? - never! It's a very, very huge difference. I know the price between VW and Hyundai, but if I buy something at the price, that means it should be ok? No, it is not! The problem, problem, problem..... and - problem. WTF?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Terrible, terrible "Smart cruise control" We were in Poland a month ago and we used to drive one-year-old VW golf in our holiday. it was hugely different, very smooth Smart Cruise Control, I loved how it works, I can rely on, but Hyundai ioniq? - never! It's a very, very huge difference. I know the price between VW and Hyundai, but if I buy something at the price, that means it should be ok? No, it is not! The problem, problem, problem..... and - problem. WTF?
Any specific issues with the SCC, or just a general grumble?
Poland has most ridiculous speed limits in Europe on it’s mostly two lane freeways with trucks limited to 90 km/h and cars to 140 km/h, resulting in traffic moving on the right lane at truck speed limit (trucks have speed limiters) and passenger cars zapping on the left lane at 160 km/h (if you drive at 140, the official speed limit, crazy drivers will sit on your bumper, trying to force you out of it). At speed difference of 70 km/h between the two lanes and haphazard traffic you can hardly expect any adaptive cruise control to handle it smoothly.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Been using the SCC on the highway to and back from Airport quite frequently, very happy with its overall capability. Can you be a bit more specific regarding the problems you have encounter instead of posting "Problem + WTF", which is hardly helpful for anyone.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts

Can you try to write your comments in a more balanced and less biased way? And just be specific in what exactly is not satisfactory according to your own experience? What type of Ioniq do you own? What settings for ACC did you try? In this way your contribution is not very informative.

Using the proper settings I am very satisfied with the Ioniq's ACC and use it all the time. And with me many others.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like Rikki and Jan Treur I have no issue with the SCC on my BEV Ioniq. I use it *ALL* *THE* *TIME*. My major gripe about it is that I can't have it automatically on when I boot the car, but admittedly there are times when the forward radar doesn't detect a car stopped far in front of me and then doesn't slow as I approach. I probably have to engage the brakes manually about one stop in fifty while driving, and I use SCC any time I possibly can. It is absolutely brilliant for low-speed stop-and-go traffic and it is also amazing on the highway.

It is possible that whatever model of Ioniq you have either has a sensor problem or perhaps needs the software or firmware updated. If you were to post some specifics about your software and firmware versions from your infotainment screen the community might be able to help you fix the problem you are having.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I also have absolutely no issues with SCC, it is easy to use intuitive and works making driving more relaxing. Of course, as with any automation, it does not absolve the driver of final responsibility.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't had s recurrence of the switching problem, and now know how to overcome it by switching the car off.Dealer couldn't offer an explanation or cure.
I use SCC on dual carriageways and on single carriageway country roads.Workd well as long as on is alert to the potential problem of cresting a hill or rounding a bend and finding slow traffic just the other side
Never use it in towns, just too much happening too quickly and much of the time spent under 20 mph threshold anyway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Any specific issues with the SCC, or just a general grumble?
Poland has most ridiculous speed limits in Europe on it’s mostly two lane freeways with trucks limited to 90 km/h and cars to 140 km/h, resulting in traffic moving on the right lane at truck speed limit (trucks have speed limiters) and passenger cars zapping on the left lane at 160 km/h (if you drive at 140, the official speed limit, crazy drivers will sit on your bumper, trying to force you out of it). At speed difference of 70 km/h between the two lanes and haphazard traffic you can hardly expect any adaptive cruise control to handle it smoothly.
Unsure why exactly Poland has most ridiculous speed limits in Europe... try Germany, autobahn, no limits at all. Plenty of places, where motorway has just two lanes and people are doing 320km/h+(200mph+), so the speed difference between a lorry and the fella from screenshot below is in excess of 230km/h (143mph) and they somehow manage...

Source:

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Unsure why exactly Poland has most ridiculous speed limits in Europe... try Germany, autobahn, no limits at all. Plenty of places, where motorway has just two lanes and people are doing 320km/h+(200mph+), so the speed difference between a lorry and the fella from screenshot below is in excess of 230km/h (143mph) and they somehow manage...

:D
The ridiculousness is mostly in the difference of speed limit for trucks and cars, and on top of that the fact that virtually nobody obeys the limit for cars, while trucks have a speed limiter. On top of that 140 km/h is already too much for the crowded roads.
I should have written “one of the most ridiculous”. Someone driving 320 km/h on autobahn is within the law but also is a suicidal maniac and potential murderer. At least the traffic on the video is very light. On Polish freeways it is usually 10 times worse, with endless stream of cars zapping by at 70 km/h difference if you are in the right lane. The instant you decide to overtake a row of trucks, there will be a driver sitting on your bumper blinking lights because you don’t accelerate fast enough for him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The ridiculousness is mostly in the difference of speed limit for trucks and cars, and on top of that the fact that virtually nobody obeys the limit for cars, while trucks have a speed limiter. On top of that 140 km/h is already too much for the crowded roads.
I should have written “one of the most ridiculous”. Someone driving 320 km/h on autobahn is within the law but also is a suicidal maniac and potential murderer. At least the traffic on the video is very light. On Polish freeways it is usually 10 times worse, with endless stream of cars zapping by at 70 km/h difference if you are in the right lane. The instant you decide to overtake a row of trucks, there will be a driver sitting on your bumper blinking lights because you don’t accelerate fast enough for him.
Not massively different in the UK - virtually no one obeying 70mph on motorway and people doing anything between 60-95mph (cas passing by at 100mph+ are not seldom as well).

And no, chap on autobahn is not suicidal and potential murderer. He is perfectly legal and people on autobahn expect this kind of behaviour, I do not see a problem with this. Personally have been doing speeds in excess of 150mph on autobahn without killing anyone. Just watch some of his videos - you will see he is slowing down in plenty of time, hardly ever breaking heavily last second, so I cannot see the issue with speed difference.

I have never had a problem on Polish/German/Dutch/French/Swiss/Italian/Czech, etc. etc. motorways - you adjust and move forward.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not massively different in the UK - virtually no one obeying 70mph on motorway and people doing anything between 60-95mph (cas passing by at 100mph+ are not seldom as well).

And no, chap on autobahn is not suicidal and potential murderer. He is perfectly legal and people on autobahn expect this kind of behaviour, I do not see a problem with this. Personally have been doing speeds in excess of 150mph on autobahn without killing anyone. Just watch some of his videos - you will see he is slowing down in plenty of time, hardly ever breaking heavily last second, so I cannot see the issue with speed difference.

I have never had a problem on Polish/German/Dutch/French/Swiss/Italian/Czech, etc. etc. motorways - you adjust and move forward.
I bet I drove much more on polish roads than you - I have family there. Every time I am there the maniacal driving style annoys me a lot, especially drivers tailgating one meter behind as soon as you are are on the passing lane, because he has to slow down from his 170 while you are passing some truck. I adjust, but it doesn’t stop the annoyance. Poland has one of the highest fatal road accident rates in EU.
As to driving 320, yes it’s suicidal and should not be allowed. A blown tire on the road or any debris will send you to meet your maker and possibly others with you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you think Polish tailgating is bad, try driving on Italian Autostrada! Also , European drivers don't generally undertake unlike they do in the USA, which we consider a very unsafe practice. A tyre burst at well less than 320kph will likely make you an undertaker's next customer : I had a rear tyre let go at 160kph and it l I had a job on to avoid hitting anything

·
Registered
495 Posts
I never drove in Italy, but my friend did, and concluded that “it’s a jungle out there” :)
Yeah, American drivers don’t keep to the right much. It can be irritating and according to the law in most states you should “keep right except to pass”. There is nothing more annoying than a grandpa driving 50 mph glued to the left lane. Passing on the right of the vehicle in front of you is legal on multi lane highways in most states. The speed differential between lanes is usually not too big as the traffic flows with similar speeds, somewhat faster to the left. Speed limit is usually same for trucks, except in some states where it’s 10 mph less (usually on 75 mph interstates). It’s illegal for trucks to stay on left lane if the highway has more than two lanes in same direction. Generally, it makes much more relaxed driving (except if you insist on speeding well over the limit).

·
Registered
495 Posts
All I can say is - watch this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGu20C2-I4
OK, so maybe folks there are used to it and take a very careful look in the back view mirror before changing lanes. Still it is insanity to drive on a road occupied by other vehicles with such speeds, even if the roads are highly engineered and well maintained. Human reaction times are limited. It’s not a runway. B737 takeoff air speed is 250 km/h.
Going back to Polish freeways - they are certainly not engineered nor maintained as well as the Autobahn, and driving culture has still a lot of catching up to “old” EU. There were virtually no freeways there just 20 years ago. I like (or used to like, but let’s not get into politics) the changes that are happening there, but driving is not a pleasant and relaxing experience, although it gets better, sans the ever growing traffic congestion.
As to your previous comment about speeding drivers in the UK, we get them too, maybe with the exception of rural areas of central States, where life is more relaxed and slower and there is no need to hurry. However, driving at 95 mph will put you in jail in most places.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts