Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay

14K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  SonicSpinner 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this wireless adapter? It is rather expensive but makes it easy to use your phone wirelessly. This really should be something that Hyundai does but until they do I am thinking of buying this.

#3 ·
I want one as well. I do not see why Apple would care, as long as you are using Car Play with the opportunity to buy something. Just a couple positive reviews from someone other than the makers website may get me to buy it. I keep leaving my phone in the car when I plug it up.(getting old is not for sissies) :cool:

#4 ·
It's not Apple that are the problem. They have made it available as a wireless product. Hyundai haven't sorted out the software (I assume) to make it work wirelessly. I have bitten the bullet and bought one of the Cplay2air dongles and will give it a test and let you know how it goes. Like you, ElvisHessler, I am forever leaving my phone in the car or realising once I am driving that I haven't connected it - then break the law trying to connect it as I am driving!!

#5 ·
Cplay2air arrived today. Fairly easy to set up and works a treat so far. As most modern iPhone batteries last a lot longer it doesn't matter that it stays in your pocket rather than being charged. I do like the freedom of not having to plug the cable in every time I get in the car. ElvisHessler, I will keep you updated after a good use of it (driving some distance tomorrow so that will be a good test).

#8 ·
I haven't tried with Google maps or Waze yet but it works fine with Spotify. We can't get Youtube streaming in the UK (not in cars anyway but if you know a hack please let me know!). As far as I can see everything works exactly the same as it did before. It does take about 5 seconds longer to log in. I will test it out with texting and google maps etc later today and let you know how it goes. At the moment it is a godsend not having to keep taking my phone out of my pocket, connecting the USB cable to it and then forgetting to take the phone out of the car when I leave!!

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Yes to the question about the steering wheel button. It moves music on to the next song and turns the volume up or down. I ordered it from their website. It took about 10 days to come (apparently they sold out and it would normally take only 5 days). I'm out driving in an hour so I'll try Waze and Google maps then and report back.

#12 ·
Right, just back from my journey. Waze works absolutely fine. No lag whatsoever. Google maps works fine as a sat nav but as soon as the voice gives a direction it pauses any music playing. Spoken text's work fine...in fact everything seems to work the same as the tethered phone (I haven't tried Google maps with the USB lead to see if the result is the same.) All in all, I am very pleased with the product.

#18 ·
I have now done the update for the firmware. That was easy!! The instruction leaflet has a QR code on it. The phone reads that and lets you know if there is an update (which there was) and I clicked on the 'Update now' button and 20 seconds later it was done!. Not quite sure what difference it will make but always like to keep updated. Very pleased with the dongle (which I have now used double sided tape to stick it to the underside of the media unit (just above the USB socket. So now if I do want to charge my phone or headphones the wireless charging mat is clear.

#21 ·
I was thinking of something.

I saw a youtube video some time ago regarding the front usb port. it is being sad that, the front usb port is actually still on and has power even when the car is turned off.
and that you should be carefull having usb powere dongles, or banks, or phones connected to it, and leaving the car for hours, it might drain the 12 v battery.
and i think i tested it once, and it was true, that there was still power in the front usb after i turned off the car. However it might be for some small amount of time? not sure.
but i suppose this problem is if you leave a dongle connected for several days without turning on the car? and then again the car has a function where it recharges the 12v battery from the main battery.

i dont know, maybe its all ghost stories :p

anyways im looking forward for my carplay2ar to come, refreshing the track n trace all the time

#22 ·
I was thinking of something.

I saw a youtube video some time ago regarding the front usb port. it is being sad that, the front usb port is actually still on and has power even when the car is turned off.
and that you should be carefull having usb powere dongles, or banks, or phones connected to it, and leaving the car for hours, it might drain the 12 v battery.
and i think i tested it once, and it was true, that there was still power in the front usb after i turned off the car. However it might be for some small amount of time? not sure.
but i suppose this problem is if you leave a dongle connected for several days without turning on the car? and then again the car has a function where it recharges the 12v battery from the main battery.

i dont know, maybe its all ghost stories :p

anyways im looking forward for my carplay2ar to come, refreshing the track n trace all the time
I saw that video and when I tested it a couple of days ago (wanted to charge a flat phone whilst I was away), it didn’t work. The power was cut to the Front USB.

maybe a firmware update?

#27 ·
oh snap! that is totally different from my front panel in my ioniq ev 2019 premium. haha.
The EV's have that weird raised console with the crap compartment underneath and a smaller less functional wireless charging mat. (Says the smugly satisfied PHEV owner.) :p

#30 ·
btw a huge thread regarding the dongle here

and a manual firmware list here if you wish to uodate through usb, OTA updates a bit behind compared to usb updates

#33 ·
I haven’t tested it yet, but I will make a video review one of these days.
And regarding apple , I have no reason to believe they would block this at all.

And besides I have jailbroken iPhone with carbridge. Unlocking CarPlay to the fullest. I have blocked any updates to my phone

#37 ·
ok , I have tested it for few hours. and its kinda cool device, but it doesn't do it for me. Because my iphone is jailbroken, and i have carbridge tweak, which unlocks carplay to the fullest.
Therfor i can watch youtube on my headunit, watch iptv, movies, shows etc, while driving. However with this wireless carplay adapter, the audio has major delay. It simply can't handle the bandwidt i think, when video streaming.
However for standard carplay users, its near perfect. listening to spotify , while using WAZE, or Sygic navi, etc. very smooth and yea Wireless.

@Metcast, i paid around 139 gpb when i convert from my currency Danish Crowns.

I know another dude who bought a " cheap " version for 28 euro or something from ebay, that didnt work in his car.

So im looking into selling my carplay2air dongle.

#43 ·
Because my iphone is jailbroken, and i have carbridge tweak, which unlocks carplay to the fullest.
Therfor i can watch youtube on my headunit, watch iptv, movies, shows etc, while driving. However with this wireless carplay adapter, the audio has major delay. It simply can't handle the bandwidt i think, when video streaming.
Can you get a Netflix/Amazon Prime videos showing on your head unit?

I have an old SE lying in a drawer somewhere and if I could play movies/tv shows from Netflix and the like on my head unit whilst I am parked up, I’d definitely jailbreak it.

#39 ·
It definitely sounds like a great solution for some. The only problem for me is that it still uses the media/data USB port, which I would ideally like to be able to free up to use for my iPod Classic.

Overall, I've become quite good at remembering my iPhone with CarPlay. Not perfect, but at least 95% of the time (or more) I remember to plug/unplug it when I'm getting in and out of the car, and I keep an extra lightning lead plugged into the car 24/7, so it's always there.

So, for the time being, this seems to be a little bit too costly a solution for something I feel I can live with. But I definitely get that it's a great solution for many, and if it was decently under C$100, I'd be much more likely to snap one up. But at C$213.95, I can't justify it for myself, as it doesn't 100% meet my needs, nor do I feel grossly inconvenienced by not having it.

#40 ·
The only problem for me is that it still uses the media/data USB port, which I would ideally like to be able to free up to use for my iPod Classic.
I see in the picture there is a pass though USB port. It may not work any better than the numerous USB hubs that have been tried here of course.

#41 ·
Having now used it for over a week I can honestly say I am delighted with it. I don't have the Carbridge hack to watch videos (although if I did, I would probably just plug the phone into the USB - the old way- and then watch any vids). Yes, there is the occasional glitch, the music cuts out for a split second or the titles of the tracks appears a lot later than usual but I haven't noticed any drag any other time. It did completely freeze on me once so I just restarted everything and it was okay. Expensive, yes definitely, (£140) but worth it to me because I hated the fact that I kept forgetting to plug it in, receiving texts etc and then fumbling around for the lead to plug it in to hear them, and forgetting to take the phone out of the car. I don't know why Hyundai couldn't have made CarPlay wireless and that would have saved a lot of problems. Overall judgement, an unnecessary expense but one I am happy to pay.

#45 ·
I ge

i get you mate. I’m. Actually starting to getting used to it. It’s a nice to have device not need to have. Very expensive too. But I flashed it manually to the latest fw , ran better for me, regarding waze and Spotify . No music cuts, and no pixelation. But yea if I’m going on a long trip and I want a video to run I’ll use the cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.