Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am past due for an oil change in terms of age, one year since my last oil change. But due to the current covid pandemic I have only driven 1000 miles since the last change. Is this something I should do? Skip for now? Warranty issues in the future? IDK.
Car has less than 5k miles total.
2019 Ioniq Hybrid Limited.

·
Registered
716 Posts
There could be issues of excess condensation in the oil, but I suppose you could force that out by taking it for a highway drive to get it up to full temperature and then keep it up for a good 15 mins or so. There's a temp gauge on the type B dash display that you can flip it to with the steering wheel buttons, full temp is halfway up the scale. Not sure about the type A display on the lower trims, but you've got the Limited so probably the type B.

If your dealership is handling things like my dealership then there's really not much risk in taking it for an oil change: They only let one person in to approach the counter at a time, masks must be worn, the staff are behind shields, they pick up your key with a disinfectant wipe and hand it back to you with a disinfectant wipe, fog the inside of the car with disinfectant when they park it after the service, wipe down the steering wheel, start button, and shifter, etc. Call and ask what their covid policies are, or better yet scope them out from the parking lot to observe what they are actually doing, then make your decision.

Cheers!

Reactions: Ayesha pass

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Just stay at least 6-8 feet from anybody and wear a mask. You could wipe down the steering wheel, door handle and gearshift but I don't know that does much good. Most contagion occurs via breathing exposure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It is not good for an ICE to set for long periods due to condensation buildup in the crankcase. Thus, even though there is only 1000 miles since the last change, it would be good to do so now. Dealer service departments are all taking Covid precautions so there should be no issue going there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ignore the date-related due messages on the dash.. Like you I have driven very little.
I am waiting for the miles..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oil is hygroscopic and deteriorates with time as well as use. For the sake of your warranty, your own peace of mind and for the love of your car with another winter coming, get the job done.

Reactions: Cabbyman

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
72 Posts
Why would you Not? Change of oil and filter in the great scheme of things are penny’s against the Original cost of the car, IMO quite foolhardy

·
Registered
716 Posts
Oil is hygroscopic and deteriorates with time as well as use. For the sake of your warranty, your own peace of mind and for the love of your car with another winter coming, get the job done.
Good advice, but the UK/EU limits are much more sensible than those Hyundai publishes for the US and Canada (6000 km / 3 months). On this side of the pond, ignoring the published limits and waiting due to Covid is a rather low risk activity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts