Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I checked my 12v recently after a period of little use. It was at around 12.2v which looks would roughly represent around 50% charged. I wonder if the autocharge feature only maintains the 12v at around that level. Powering the car on I can see the voltage jump to 14.5v + so clearly it charges whilst driving. But maybe it isn't designed to maintain the battery at 100%, the car doesn't require a full battery to start, but I always understood it was better for battery longevity to keep a 12v battery as fully charged as possible? There's lots of evidence that letting a lead acid battery discharge below around 40% for extended periods is very bad for it.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
If you have the battery saver option checked, it should initiate a charge around 12.4 volts. May have a lower threshold while "on" or driving. Either way, lots of lead acid batteries fail early with the intermittent charging of lead acid battery. Alternators work best. Some owners get an AGM battery, others use a smart trickle charger once a month or so to keep the battery in good health. And some never have a problem, or it takes a couple years and then they think it was a bad battery.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts