Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the drive belt, the belt that connects the engine to transmission, not to be confused with the serpentine belt, is required replacement every 75,000 miles or even less under severe conditions.

Does anybody know what it cost to replace that belt? I believe that Hyundai could have designed a more robust system instead of a rubber or synthetic belt system for the hybrid drive. I recall back in the 1990-2000, many car manufactures, my 1994 Honda Civic as well, had a rubber engine timing belt that needed to be changed at 60,000 - 90,000 miles or you risk it breaking and causing $1,000's of dollars of engine damage. Now nearly all new engines today have chain drive system on the engine that does need that replacement schedule, which are more durable and less likely to ever break during the lifetime of the car.

Also I wonder if the plug in Ioniq has the same type of system or perhaps a system similar to a 2016-17 Prius where there is no drive belts that need to be replaced, or for that matter there are no belts at all on the engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
as it shares the same ICE as the hybrid the plugin the plugin will likely have the same belt drive on the motor / generator

no cost available yet for replacement, all depends on how easy it is to get to and replace

the plus point is if it fails there should be no engine damage as it don't appear to be involved in driving the camshaft

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is only one belt. The "drive" belt is on the front of the engine and it drives the water pump and hybrid starter generator. This is the "serpentine" belt. There is no belt driving the transmission. The transmission is driven by clutches.

They shouldnt cost to much to replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If any garage charges more than 1 hr labour to replace the belt you are been ripped of, it very easy and only issue is compressing the belt tensioner, it’s not the spring that’s the issue, it’s the oil Hydrolics in side, it has to pass threw a small ball valve, so when compressing it you must do slowly and carefully.if you don’t have the right tool, you can take the whole tensioner out and compress it in a vice, then hold in compressed state with a strong cable tie to re install. Trust me I have done it. Also if you Surport the engine, remove the front engine mount, gives you heaps of room to work then.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I understand that the drive belt, the belt that connects the engine to transmission, not to be confused with the serpentine belt, is required replacement every 75,000 miles or even less under severe conditions.
There is NO belt that connect the engine to the transmission. The engine (ICE) is connected to the electric motor and the transmission by the engine clutch (AKA Hydraulic clutch).
However, the drive belt (AKA serpentine belt, AKA HSG belt) is use to connect the engine to the Hybrid Starter Generator (HSG) and water pump (AKA engine coolant pump). This HSG belt is recommended to be replaced every 75,000 miles in the manual.

Some of us replaced it themselves the belt cost less than $100 ($60-70 if I’m not mistaken). Some have it replaced at the dealer and got charged around $100 for the belt and another $200 for labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts