Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,176 Posts
I have often wondered why a KIA driver keeps posting on an Ioniq forum! Don't Kia's have forums???
because the Kia He drives is the Ioniq in a Kia coat

all the systems, battery, motor and engine are identical and if you go back he got the niro after evaluating a number of cars including the Ioniq, which is why he originally joined the forum (to get info about the Ioniq)

we have had prius drivers here, and all sorts of other brands

our focus is the Ioniq , but at the end of the day we do discuss the pro's and cons of all sorts of HEV, PHEV and EV vehicles so input from those that drive them is welcome so long as the follow the same rules as the rest of us

·
Registered
573 Posts

all the systems, battery, motor and engine are identical and if you go back he got the niro after evaluating a number of cars including the Ioniq, which is why he originally joined the forum (to get info about the Ioniq)

we have had prius drivers here, and all sorts of other brands

our focus is the Ioniq , but at the end of the day we do discuss the pro's and cons of all sorts of HEV, PHEV and EV vehicles so input from those that drive them is welcome so long as the follow the same rules as the rest of us
So it is a community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts, not necessarily owners!

·
Registered
110 Posts
This discussion is interesting. It seems the British are more concerned about their fuel systems than folks in the US. That may be due to high cost of petrol there! I have rarely driven so long that the low fuel light comes on. I usually fill up when I have less than half a tank or when I passing my favorite fuel stop. I have never noticed any degradation in economy with a full tank. I also have never noticed fewer MPG when my wife rides with me either! Fuel here is about $1.85/gal right now. At 11.9 gal tank size that would mean it would cost me about $22 to fill up. But I have never put that much fuel in. My average fill up is about 8 gal. and that is about once every two weeks or so.
It's not just that we're more concerned with our fuel systems, there are other factors at play as well. I filled up today at the bargain price of UK£1.14 per litre (that's UK£5.18 per UK gallon), but more than that, our pumps are heavily regulated and usually highly accurate and 'topping off' as you call it is practicallly impossible here. Also pump nozzles here are a completely different design to yours.

I belonged to the members forum for my previous car, a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, and about a year ago there was a very lively, worldwide debate about topping off because many US members felt getting an extra 2 - 3 gallons of fuel in the car after the first click was completely normal, whilst the Europeans argued this was impossible. The debate raged, and co-ordinated through the tread, a group of about 10 owners from all corners of this side of the pond agreed to try and take the 15 minutes this process needs and see how much more they could get in after that first click. Those that reported back varied between 1.25 and 1.4 litres and that the published capacity of the tank was as much as would fit. The US contributors were incredulous that we couldn't just keep going and get 13 or 14 gallons in an 11 gallon tank, which they felt was their right!

Forgive me, I don't know if there is a US equivalent to our MOT test, where once a car is three years old, it has to pass a series of stringent checks every year to be allowed to continue being driven. These are recorded on a Government database, so whenever you do anything concerning your car insurance you can't proceed if your car isn't properly listed. One of the tests concerns the car's emissions, so it is in our best interests to not just ignore the needs of the carbon filters and anything else that could effect the readings.

I drive 35,000 miles a year, so never see any point in not putting as much fuel in as I can on any given stop.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I have often wondered why a KIA driver keeps posting on an Ioniq forum! Don't Kia's have forums???
Because I have the exact same drivetrain, and so my issues and info received here are, well, exactly the same. And even though in the US, Niros vastly outnumber Ioniqs, for whatever reason, their owners are not prolific posters like UK Ioniq owners. Thus you get a much poorer picture and data from such forums. The US Niro forum does get more traffic than the UK ones.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
very true and nicely put! As I've said here before, I actually like the Ioniq's looks better, and would prefer it normally. If only I wasn't a bicycle freak.... I'd love, love to have the highest EPA rated mpg hybrid in the country. I have owned two other top mpg cars in the past, both rated over 50 mpg (both small ICE cars).

·
Super Moderator
8,176 Posts
So it is a community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts, not necessarily owners!
yep,

and remember Hyundai, own Kia, so to all intent and purposes they are the same company,

like VAG are VolksWagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, and Porsche and those cars share a lot of common parts and problems

most brands are now part of a larger groups

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Separate Kia and Hyundai assembly plants in South Korea, but certainly engineering is shared. The corporate or chaebol structure is rather convoluted, but they are clearly one company functionally. I doubt it means anything much, but Kias are getting better JP Power ratings in the US for initial quality. So perhaps there is a different culture between the two massive assembly plants. Seems odd considering the bad reputation not so long ago, but in the US they are positioning Kia to be higher cost.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts